• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

little kid scared the crap out of me

silver nekode

imported post

So I got off of work the other day, and the other Supervisor who relieved me asked if I wanted to go to breakfast. Because he works swing, he doesn't have any patrols and has time to do stuff like this as long as he answers any calls. We decided to go to the Denny's on Eagle and Fairview. As I normally do, before I left the parking lot at work, I put on my pistol(can't carry when I'm working as supervisor). When we got to Denny's as we were about to go in, a lady with her young son(probably between 5 and 7) came out the door. My friend held the door and I stepped back out of the way, and as they came out the kid asked "are you police men?" I chuckled and told him no, we are not police, we are security officers, we help the police(I know it's not exactly accurate, but I try to make children understand that we are still the "good guys") The kid then asked "is that a gun?" and started reaching for my pistol. This was the first time anyone had ever reached for my pistol, and I actually had the adrenaline rush hit from it. I reflexively clamped my elbow over the pistol and stepped back on my right foot, pivoting the pistol and side of my body away from the kids hand. Then once I was able to think, more than just react, I reached down and covered the entire top of the pistol and holster. I then started to kneel and give the kid my speech about how he should never touch or play with guns, and got out "don't touch that. You don't ever want to touch a gun..."when the woman grabbed the kid by the hand, appologized to me, and dragged him away. I understand her getting nervous, but was still a little dissapointed at the reaction of dragging him away rather than let him hear a talk from someone in uniform about not playing with guns(keep in mind I was still in uniform with my badge right next to my pistol on my belt.) Afterwards we went in and had lunch and had no problems from the people working or eating at Denny's. One waitress did a huge doubletake, but she didn't say anything. It's hard to get real results on what people will allow when I'm in uniform because it looks more normal to them if I have my badge. I couldn't believe the adrenaline rush when the kid reached for the pistol though. I guess it shows you can train all you want, but the first time will always scare you pretty good, and this didn't even turn out to be a truly dangerous situation.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Close call!

If the kid would have actually touched the gun or the holster you might have been forced to break his wrist....

:p

silver nekode

imported post

what are we anti-child now?:p

Another question, What do you all think about a horizontal draw shoulder holster for OC? no jacket just real obvious. It's gonna be a little odd, but it solves the vehicle problem(i'm not 21 yet and don't have CCP) and the holster works like suspenders and keeps my crappy work belt from sagging with pistol on. I think it may cause more trouble than it's worth, but would it even be considered OC. I think it would, it places pistol on chest, not really under arm.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I was wondering about that a while ago...whether a shoulder rig would be considered concealed if it wasn't covered. We came to the conclusion that, if the weapon is visible from approximately as many angles asa hip holster, than it's not concealed. I remember a LEO commenting that if he can see it from 3 sides (i.e. front, right side, and back) then it's not concealed. Also, the obvious presence of the rig itself adds to its "visibility". IANAL, but my personal opinion is that a shoulder rig is NOT concealed. After all, could you imagine any situation where you saw a guy with a shoulder rig and couldn't tell he had weapon on?

There are a few other problems associated with shoulder rigs, though, especially horizontal carry ones. First and foremost, the muzzle is pointing behind you, which can make the guy next in line kinda nervous. Not that a weapon should be going off in a holster, but on the off chance that you'd ever have to draw, the weapon starts out pointing behind you and, even with care taken, still sweeps a good portion of the room.

Also, some people would agree that a shoulder rig worn openly is stepping into the realm of "tacti-cool". I would have to agree in this case. Does this mean you shouldn't carry just because someone might think you look dumb? Hell no. It just means that some people might think you look dumb :D. Whether you care about what others think or not, their opinion of you is going to effect how they react to you.

The shoulder rig has a lot of benefits, like comfort, security, and holding your pants up. It has some draw backs as well, like muzzle direction, risk of being "concealed", and its non-traditional appearance. Like any decision in life, if you think the benefits out way the draw backs, then go for it!

cato

imported post

I like cross draw for gun grab concerns and it is better for aseated draw and car concealment issues If an officer is approaching on the driver side an 11 0'clock cross draw is more visable to him.

denwego

imported post

That's the exact reason I like retention holsters which are next to impossible to open if you're not wearing it. I'm not afraid of a bad guy grabbing my gun and shooting me with it as I stand in line somewhere... I'm afraid of a seven-year-old grabbing it and shooting himself with it, and then being sued by a dumb parent for negligence.

BrokenR1

imported post

The Shoulder Rigwould be Open Carry. I thought about it but to me it would seem to be like I would showing off to much. Overall I don't care what people think but in this I do want to at least try to portray a proper image while doing what I want still. But you can definately see it so that would constitute Open Carry. The 3 side rule doesn't make sense either. Either it's concealed or it's open. Holding a box in front of you might be enough to be considered concealed but then again the box isn't your clothing. That would be like someone saying your concealed just because they're standing on the opposite side of the car from you and can't see your waistline.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, the 3 sides theory isn't perfect, but for some reason I've heard a couple of LEOs refer to it. Anyway it's only in reference to where it is holstered on your body...it has nothing to do with your surroundings. And anyway, yeah your arm covers the side of a shoulder holstered weapon, but it also covers the side of a belt holstered weapon if your hands are at your side.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

denwego wrote:
... I'm afraid of a seven-year-old grabbing it and shooting himself with it, and then being sued by a dumb parent for negligence.
I don't think the dumb parent will bother to sue the seven-year-old kid....the parent will sue you!

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

HankT wrote:
denwego wrote:
... I'm afraid of a seven-year-old grabbing it and shooting himself with it, and then being sued by a dumb parent for negligence.
I don't think the dumb parent will bother to sue the seven-year-old kid....the parent will sue you!

Bored enough that you've resorted to arbitrarily correcting other people's grammar? You knew exactly what he meant. Get a life, man.

Anyway on that point, regardless of how stupid it is, would YOU be held responsible in a situation where a child managed to grab your gun and shoot himself, or someone else? What if it was an adult? What if he grabbed your gun so you pulled a BUG and shot him? Is that justified self defenseeven thoughyou're the one who "supplied" the guy with the gun in the first place?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
HankT wrote:
denwego wrote:

Bored enough that you've resorted to arbitrarily correcting other people's grammar? You knew exactly what he meant. Get a life, man.

Just a joke, dude. A funny. About words and wording. It's kind of humorous.

Kind of like a murse (ora turse) is humorous.

Heck, even a broken wrist can be humorous...

Lighten up. Be happy. Take Ex-Lax if you need to....:p

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

no laxatives necessary, there's already enough crap on this forum with you around.

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

silver nekode wrote:
what are we anti-child now?:p

Another question, What do you all think about a horizontal draw shoulder holster for OC? no jacket just real obvious. It's gonna be a little odd, but it solves the vehicle problem(i'm not 21 yet and don't have CCP) and the holster works like suspenders and keeps my crappy work belt from sagging with pistol on. I think it may cause more trouble than it's worth, but would it even be considered OC. I think it would, it places pistol on chest, not really under arm.
It's my understanding that Idaho goes from Shall Issue to May Issue at the discretion of the Sheriff when you are 18 - 21. Look into it.

LoveMyCountry