• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Belt vs. Paddle

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So I searched the "Holster and Accessories" forum and couldn't find a thread dedicated to this topic. What are the pros and cons for belt holsters and paddle holsters? I have never worn a paddle holster, and for some reason I have this fear that it would pull up and out of my pants with a good tug. Is this not the case?

hogleg

imported post

My Fobus paddle holster is a bugger to get off once it is on.(belt or not) Would not falloff unless my pants fell off. However it isnot the most comfortable wearing holster I have. Since it is hard plastic it gets sweaty and hot. Plus it seems to stick out farther than I would like. But I like the way it fits my gun and the ease of draw. and the most important part, it goes on quick. PPKS for this one.

I am having a bugger of a time finding a paddle for my Px4. Does serpa or blackhawk make a level 2 in a paddle?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

hogleg wrote:
My Fobus paddle holster is a bugger to get off once it is on.(belt or not) Would not falloff unless my pants fell off. However it isnot the most comfortable wearing holster I have. Since it is hard plastic it gets sweaty and hot. Plus it seems to stick out farther than I would like. But I like the way it fits my gun and the ease of draw. and the most important part, it goes on quick. PPKS for this one.

I am having a bugger of a time finding a paddle for my Px4. Does serpa or blackhawk make a level 2 in a paddle?
Serpa Level II comes with both Belt AND Paddle when you buy it. I Love the Serpa myself

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

It's funny you should mention Serpa...they're part of the reason I'm looking for a new holster. You see, serpas are great, but they don't make one for my weapon (SW99). I'm now looking at Safariland's ALS holsters as a substitute. The ALS is the (1) on the picture. It's a small lever that is pushed down with the thumb to draw the weapon. I like this location since it's an absolutely natural draw position, it gives you the natural leverage with your thumb to draw the weapon out, AND the lever can't be seen or easily accessed.

als_side.jpg

The holster itself looks like this.
model6378.jpg

Anyway I'm trying to decide whether I want a paddle or a belt holster. All of my holsters up until now have been belt holster. They're comfortable and secure, but they're a pain to get on and off and they can mess up my belts if the long run if I don't always use my good gun belt.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

DreQo wrote:
It's funny you should mention Serpa...they're part of the reason I'm looking for a new holster. You see, serpas are great, but they don't make one for my weapon (SW99). I'm now looking at Safariland's ALS holsters as a substitute. The ALS is the (1) on the picture. It's a small lever that is pushed down with the thumb to draw the weapon. I like this location since it's an absolutely natural draw position, it gives you the natural leverage with your thumb to draw the weapon out, AND the lever can't be seen or easily accessed.

als_side.jpg

The holster itself looks like this.
model6378.jpg

Anyway I'm trying to decide whether I want a paddle or a belt holster. All of my holsters up until now have been belt holster. They're comfortable and secure, but they're a pain to get on and off and they can mess up my belts if the long run if I don't always use my good gun belt.
DreQo, you need to get yourself another shooter so that you can enjoy a Serpa.:lol:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

My dad often wielded the former. Sister Sylvester in Catholic school in 2nd grade used the latter...

Ouch!

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I use a Fobus HK1 paddle holster for everyday carry of my Ruger P95DC. Stays on just fine, and it's not easy for me to take off, so I doubt that someone is going to pull it off you. Word of caution though, the holster has rubbed the finish on my gun down to bare metal in 2 places. It might be wise to invest in a higher quality holster than Fobus, but paddle holsters are what I prefer. I am looking at a this holster as a replacement: http://www.desantisholster.com/n78.html

P.S. Please, no one post the video of someone breaking a Fobus holster for the millionth time. It's not a realistic test. :)

molonlabetn

imported post

My SERPA rides higher and tighter to my body in the paddle configuration than the belt configuration... but I do wear a belt either way, it just feels more secure.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo, you need to get yourself another shooter so that you can enjoy a Serpa.:lol:
I was just at the gun shop today looking at a Taurus PT1911. If I had the money, I would have bought it today. I really do love my SW99, though. It's incredibly comfortable and natural to shoot, and I like not having to mess with a safety. That 1911, if I bought it, would probably be used more for IWB carry, since she's so much thinner than the smith.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I was just at the gun shop today looking at a Taurus PT1911. If I had the money, I would have bought it today. I really do love my SW99, though. It's incredibly comfortable and natural to shoot, and I like not having to mess with a safety. That 1911, if I bought it, would probably be used more for IWB carry, since she's so much thinner than the smith.

I have a 1911 (kimber)

large_protlerl2.jpg

and I LOVE it

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I would LOVE that kimber, too. I'd have to take a $1500 personal loan out for it, though. That Taurus PT1911 is ~$500, and I've HEARD it shoots up there with the customs...

EDIT: You know I might be able to find something, or things, worth trading for that kimber..ya know, if you're interested....lol :D

UTOC-45-44

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I would LOVE that kimber, too. I'd have to take a $1500 personal loan out for it, though. That Taurus PT1911 is ~$500, and I've HEARD it shoots up there with the customs...

EDIT: You know I might be able to find something, or things, worth trading for that kimber..ya know, if you're interested....lol :D

Well..,you could probably get it for around $800-$900 new.

...From my cold dead hands:lol:

molonlabetn

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
DreQo, take a look at the RIA tacticalvs Taurus. Check out 1911forum.com before you take the plunge... oops, off topic.

I'll second the RIA Loaded Tactical... My wife loves hers, and qualified well with her HCPusing it. (Of course, hers has pink grips and a holster which matches her purse).

It has ran flawlessly using new ammo, both FMJ and JHP... it did have some issues with bulk factory-reloads, but the ones which misfed were badly out-of-spec.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

lol I started the topic, so any advice you have for me isn't off topic :). Would you like to give me a brief comparison of the two? The reason I was considering the Taurus is that I have, from multiple sources, heard that it shoots essentially as well as a similar gun for twice the price, and has many standard features that aren't found on a comparably priced 1911. Opinions?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

The RIA tactical has a Beavertail grip safety, ambi hammer safety, novak style combat sights, novak tactical magazine, and full length guide rod. You can get into one for roughly $450 and has been recognized as the best bang for your buck.
That's the same impression I've been getting through reading. I keep finding guns with sights that have no dots or any contrasting color on them...I thought the white dots were becoming pretty standard. I guess I could always just get some night sights for it...

freesoul

imported post

I thought this thread was about holsters!! :cuss:

I have a safariland paddle holster for my S&W 669 auto. comfortable and the gun rides up nice and high. :)