• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My, how the pendulum swings!!!

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Don't just read the article. The comments are the best part. One wag suggests a new mascot: "Liberace, holding a candlestick in each hand." At the end, Principal Hand says he wishes he had gotten "more community input" on this and never thought it would get "this much attention". This paragon of educational brilliance and PC insanity can be reached at hand@buena-vista.k12.va.us. The high school website still has the old mascot plastered all over it.

72Malibu

imported post

I just love living in a society that preaches both tolerance and intolerance on various subjects and issues, and tells us what should and should not be tolerated.

It just makes me feel so good to know that we don't have to rely on ourselves to think and that there are others out there with better reasoning, judgement and moral/ethical capacity to do our thinking for us, eh comrades?

:banghead:

VAopencarry

imported post

72Malibu wrote:
I just love living in a society that preaches both tolerance and intolerance on various subjects and issues, and tells us what should and should not be tolerated.

It just makes me feel so good to know that we don't have to rely on ourselves to think and that there are others out there with better reasoning, judgement and moral/ethical capacity to do our thinking for us, eh comrades?

:banghead:
Grand Slam!!!!

VAopencarry

imported post

Well the first thing I thought of was this guy. Anyone else? :)

teachers2.jpg

72Malibu

imported post

Well,my school mascot was a rocket. I'm surprised that the idea of nuclear/missle and other types of rocket arms hasn't prompted anybody to get up in arms about it.

It was a funny play on mascots though when my girlfriend (now wife)'s school played us in football. Their school was our bitter rival and they called themselves the "Trojans".

Well, I wasn't a jock (I was a band geek) and some of the members made a banner showing a breaking condom and a bunch of little rockets with a caption that read: "Trojans can't hold these Rockets back!". Aaah, good times. While I think some people did get into a little trouble for that, nowadays I'm SURE someone would find it offensive.

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

Gibson - "We wanted to keep the integrity of Yosemite Sam, well, that character. We wanted to keep him."

The integrity of of Yosemite Sam? He's a little man who goes flying off the hook at the slightest thing and 'hates them ornery flea-bitten varmints'.... I fail to see how taking his guns away is keeping the integrity of a character whose character was a pair of pistols with a short temper.

My middle school was the Medics. Our mascot was a giant hypodermic needle with a goofy grin. Why not a doctor? I have no idea. They've probably changed it, because students obviously emulate the school mascot, and the giant hypodermic needle will encourage heroin addiction. After all, nothing is the cutting edge of cool like a giant foam rubber costume depicting a cartoon character, and all the kids want to be just like that!

vrwmiller

imported post

Kendo_Bunny wrote:
Only for 1999-2000. Hellhole of a school...
Wow, you're a youngin'....

I was in Marsteller from '86 - '89. At that time, it was the school across from the Manassas PO, which is now owned by the church which neighbors it.

Kendo_Bunny

imported post

vrwmiller wrote:
Kendo_Bunny wrote:
Only for 1999-2000. Hellhole of a school...
Wow, you're a youngin'....

I was in Marsteller from '86 - '89.  At that time, it was the school across from the Manassas PO, which is now owned by the church which neighbors it.

I was born in '86 and I started school early :D