• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Protection vs Self Defense

PT111

imported post

Every time I hear someone say they carry a gun for protection I cringe. Just what is a gun going to protect you from? About the only way a gun is going to protect you is if someone shoots at you and the bullet bounces off it. I realize that it may be a matter of semantics but the term Self-Defense should be used. Just carrying a gun will do nothing for you if you don't have the skills to use it properly. A gun is just another method of Self-Defense open to try and equalize the odds for the good guys.

You often hear about someone going out and buying a gun for protection when all they are buying is a false sense of security. This falls right into the hands of the anti's so they can cry about another gun being stolen or taken away and used in a crime. We should do away with the talk about a gun being used for protection and call it exactly what it is, a tool for self-defense. That is unless you want to cover your self with guns to form some body armor.

Cue-Ball

imported post

While I see your point, there is something that you are overlooking. In 99% of self defense cases where a gun is involved, the gun is never even fired. So, even the best, most well trained person in the world is not really any better off than Joe or Jane Guntoter in the large majority of cases.

Of course, everyone who carries a gun should be well trained on how (and when) to use it. But the fact of the matter is that simply having the gun evens the odds against you, even if you don't know how to do anything more than point it at the bad guy.