• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teacher wants to carry a gun in school WITH POLL

paramedic70002

imported post

http://www.ktvb.com/news/regional/stories/ktvbn-sep1007-armed_teacher.bee6d2b6.html

01:51 PM MDT on Monday, September 10, 2007

Associated Press

MEDFORD, Ore. -- A high school teacher in southern Oregon plans to challenge a school district policy that prevents her from carrying a gun on school grounds.

Portland lawyer Jim Leuenberger said in an e-mail message to the Mail Tribune newspaper that he will ask a Jackson County judge to declare the Medford School District's policy "illegal and void" for holders of concealed handgun licenses.

"There is a state statute that prohibits local governments -- including school boards -- from restricting possession of firearms by concealed firearm permit holders," Leuenberger said.

Leuenberger said the teacher wishes to remain anonymous and he will list her name as "Jane Doe" in the complaint. When contacted by the Mail Tribune, the teacher said she wants anonymity because she fears for her and her daughter's safety.

Leuenberger said the woman has divorced her husband and obtained a restraining order against him.

The woman contacted the lawyer and the Oregon Firearms Federation after school officials approached her about rumors that she was carrying a weapon. Schools attorney Tim Gerking said the teacher denied the accusation, but officials reminded her about the district policy.

"It's our responsibility to provide a safe learning environment for our students and a safe working environment for our employees," Gerking said in an interview late last week. "We feel that would not be fostered by allowing folks, whether they have the authority or not, to bring weapons onto campus, in particular firearms -- loaded firearms."

Kevin Starrett, executive director of the firearms federation, said he had been looking for a case like this one so he could challenge schools' prohibition of firearms.

"We were approached by the individual because she had been threatened by the school district," Starrett said. "It was just a perfect opportunity for us to get some judicial resolution to this."

Though the Medford teacher wants the gun to protect herself from an ex-husband, Starrett said armed teachers could prevent school shootings.

"I worry about people being gunned down like dogs because they've been denied the right to have their self-defense firearm," Starrett said.

But School Board Chairman Mike Moran, a retired lieutenant with the Medford Police Department, said he's worried that the firearm could fall into the hands of a student.

"Even if it's a totally legitimate person with a legitimate permit, can you adequately guarantee that it will not fall into the hands of a student?" Moran asked. "You can't."

Cue-Ball

imported post

I applaud this woman and hope that she wins her suit. My wife is a teacher and it disgusts me that we, as a society, disarm the people who are in the best position to protect our children.

"shall not be infringed"!

sccrref

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
I applaud this woman and hope that she wins her suit. My wife is a teacher and it disgusts me that we, as a society, disarm the people who are in the best position to protect our children.

"shall not be infringed"!
ditto!!!

TEX1N

imported post

Snip:
But School Board Chairman Mike Moran, a retired lieutenant with the Medford Police Department, said he's worried that the firearm could fall into the hands of a student.

"Even if it's a totally legitimate person with a legitimate permit, can you adequately guarantee that it will not fall into the hands of a student?" Moran asked. "You can't."
I wonder if the LT would then also support banning the police from carrying into school, because...

"Even if it's a totally legitimate police officer with a legitimate badge, can you adequately guarantee that it will not fall into the hands of a student?...You can't."

:what:

swift

imported post

Great article. Don't you just love the comment that "you can't guarantee that the gun won't fall into the wrong hands" - if that were enough to take away our 2nd amendment rights than Police would not be allowed to carry a gun either as the same thing could happen to them. The fact is that the risk of that is much less than the risk of them needing the gun for good purposes such as self defense so it is irrelevant. I created an account & voted - the yes vote is way behind so the paper must have a very liberal audience or an audience who does not fully understand the value of allowing teachers with a valid CCW permit to carry concealed as protected by the 2nd amendment (at a minimum!).

The site only lets each user vote once, so the account I tried with bugmenot did not allow me to vote, but I was able to create a new username for myself in about 5 seconds so that I could vote. It just requires a fake name & your spam account email address (also set up with a fake name) - after that I was all set & was able to vote.

If you don't have a spam address you should get one. Create a free account on yahoo.com or with your internet provider. I call mine dustinspam & I only use it for the millions of on-line forms that require a valid email address. It gets hundreds of spam email messages a day but I don't care - it isn't my primary account. I only log in & check it when required to find the most recent "please verify your new account" garbage when I register for a new site & I ignore all the rest of the spam.

I only give out my primary email address to friends/family & valid organizations that I actually want to hear from so I don't get any spam there.