• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can one OC a rifle in Philly with a LTCF?

Xdalfalkif

imported post

Could a person with a LTCF walk around Philly with an AK-47 slung over their back. Obviously in a way that is not offensive.

I just want to clarify the law.

Doing this in Philly would certainly get you arrested even if they cannot arrest you legally. I don't see anything in any of the statutes I've read that suggests that one cannot,

Steve in PA

imported post

Yes.

§ 6108. Carrying firearms on public streets or public property in Philadelphia.
No person shall carry a firearm, rifle or shotgun at any time
upon the public streets or upon any public property in a city of
the first class unless:
(1) such person is licensed to carry a firearm; or
(2) such person is exempt from licensing under section
6106(b) of this title (relating to firearms not to be carried
without a license).

Xdalfalkif

imported post

Does "firearm" mean any firearm? The UFA seems to support that idea but I thought I read somewhere that it didn't.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

From Section 6102 of the Uniform Firearms Act we have the definition of “Firearm.” -- Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

So, it's any pistol, revolver orshort-barreled rifle/shotgun. Got one of them? You'll need an LTCF to carry it openly in the City of Brotherly Love. Can you expect to get stopped, hassled, or worse? You betcha! Would their reaction be legal? Hey, these are the same people that firebombed women and children, and got away with it - "legal" has nothing to do with it.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

A sawed-off shotgun meets the definition of "Firearm."

In Pennsylvania, to carry a "Firearm" openly or concealed in Philadelphia, or carrying concealed anywhere else in the state, you need an LTCF.

Yes, openly-carrying a sawed-off shotgun in Philadelphia would be legal if the NFA/LTCF requirements were met.

Would Philadelphia's "finest" like that? No, and you would pay the price for that.

Xdalfalkif

imported post

Statkowski wrote:
From Section 6102 of the Uniform Firearms Act we have the definition of “Firearm.” -- Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

So, it's any pistol, revolver orshort-barreled rifle/shotgun. Got one of them? You'll need an LTCF to carry it openly in the City of Brotherly Love. Can you expect to get stopped, hassled, or worse? You betcha! Would their reaction be legal? Hey, these are the same people that firebombed women and children, and got away with it - "legal" has nothing to do with it.

Ok, but I can see that, but what about [size=§908. ][/size]where it says.
"[size="Firearm." Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive, or the frame or receiver of any such weapon."

Does that only apply to that sub section?
][/size]

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Xdalfalkif wrote:
Statkowski wrote:

Ok, but I can see that, but what about [size=§908.]where it says.
"[size="Firearm." Any weapon which is designed to or may readily be converted to expel any projectile by the action of an explosive, or the frame or receiver of any such weapon."

Does that only apply to that sub section?
]
Folks - the UFA defines firearms generally as short barrelled guns - then, in some sections, it defines firearms differently for purposes of those sections.

Xdalfalkif

imported post

Ok. But then how could a person in Philly own a rifle, keep it at their house, and hunt or target shoot with it without violating the law?

imperialism2024

imported post

Xdalfalkif wrote:
Ok. But then how could a person in Philly own a rifle, keep it at their house, and hunt or target shoot with it without violating the law?

Because you're transporting it. Look through my posts, and you'll find the relevant statutes... You can't take it to hunt or to the range with it loaded, on your person, but the UFA allows for you to transport it unloaded in a vehicle.

While this is far from legitimate, informed advice, as long as your gun is unloaded and in a container of some sort, and you carry it to and from your car without making a stop at the McDonald's 5 blocks away while in transit, you should be fine.

JSK333

imported post

Notice the "or" where it also includes any shotgun or rifle with an overall length of 26 inches or less.

If you had a standard-length barrelled rifle with a folding stock or no stock (a la AKM), there may be a chance it'd be within that limit.