• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions about OC'ing a rifle (without a CHP)

mercutio545

imported post

I was thinking about taking my AK with me whenever I go on walkabouts in the middle of nowhere. I know that if I don't have a CHP, I'd have to keep 20 rounds or less in the magazine, but my question is, could I just put 20 rounds in a standard 30 round mag, or do I have to use a 20 round mag? And if I remember the code section, it said something about a folding stock and accomodating a silencer. So if the AK has a threaded barrel, then I wouldn't be able to carry it without a CHP, right?

mercutio545

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:

"nor to any person who reasonably believes that a loaded rifle or shotgun is necessary for his personal safety in the course of his employment or business."

So if going on a walkabout in the woods is my "business", and carrying a rifle with me would make me feel safe, then I guess this code section doesn't apply, correct?

UTOC-45-44

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
I was thinking about taking my AK with me whenever I go on walkabouts in the middle of nowhere. I know that if I don't have a CHP, I'd have to keep 20 rounds or less in the magazine, but my question is, could I just put 20 rounds in a standard 30 round mag, or do I have to use a 20 round mag? And if I remember the code section, it said something about a folding stock and accomodating a silencer. So if the AK has a threaded barrel, then I wouldn't be able to carry it without a CHP, right?
We don't have an ammo limit so to speak of here in Utah, but we can carry Rifles in the "Open" = OCing. Recommened of course not Chambered

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The code section that nakedshoplifter posted only applies to carrying/transporting a long gun in a vehicle, not on foot. If I were going to OC a rifle w/o a CHP, Id ensure I only had a mag that could hold 19rds or less and had no colapsible stock or threaded barrel.

mercutio545

imported post

Well it was sort of implied that it would be slung. It would be too much of a hassle to carry it in my hands for long walks anyways.

vtme_grad98

imported post

Reverend73 wrote:
The code section that nakedshoplifter posted only applies to carrying/transporting a long gun in a vehicle, not on foot. If I were going to OC a rifle w/o a CHP, Id ensure I only had a mag that could hold 19rds or less and had no colapsible stock or threaded barrel.

§ 18.2-287.4. Carrying loaded firearms in public areas prohibited; penalty. It shall be unlawful for any person to carry a loaded (a) semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock or (b) shotgun with a magazine that will hold more than seven rounds of the longest ammunition for which it is chambered on or about his person on any public street, road, alley, sidewalk, public right-of-way, or in any public park or any other place of whatever nature that is open to the public in the Cities of Alexandria, Chesapeake, Fairfax, Falls Church, Newport News, Norfolk, Richmond, or Virginia Beach or in the Counties of Arlington, Fairfax, Henrico, Loudoun, or Prince William.
more than 20 is the limit. 20 round mags or smaller are fine, unless of course you have a folding stock. If that's the case, the ammo limit is irrelevant.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

VCDL President wrote:
You might also have to watch hunting laws. The King's Deer are always protected.

Talking about Rifles.

Next year I might Plan to take myself on Horse back thru Utah,(Idaho maybe ), Wyoming, Montana and Colorado with my 44 Ruger starpped to the side and my rifle in a scabbard.

This depends on how things plan out.

I REALLY hope this will work out. A dream, really

LEO 229

imported post

mercutio545 wrote:
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-287.4
"with a magazine that will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition"

The 30 round mag would get you in trouble!!

If you think OCing gets you unwanted attention.... Walk-a-bouts with a rifle is sure to get even more.

Remember the last guy that went OCing with a rifle.

9183032_240X180.jpg

It might be legal but it can scare the hell out of the community and cops. you can expect to have the cops called.

I suggest that when they do show up.. you lay the rifle on the deck and take a few steps back. (Full Metal Jacket)

LEO 229

imported post

Kevin108 wrote:
You need to quit bringing him up. He is not the poster boy for OC and the continued association of he with us by you is insulting.
Never said he was.....

Sorry that this guy was legally permitted to carry guns openly guns and it does not further your cause.

Many on this board said thatif he had beenspotted in the police parking lotprior to his murder spree...he shouldnot have been stopped and be allowed to go about his "business."

I am posting a fact.. get over it.

If you have a personal problem with it. I suggest you PM me for further discussion.

vtme_grad98

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Kevin108 wrote:
You need to quit bringing him up. He is not the poster boy for OC and the continued association of he with us by you is insulting.
Never said he was.....

Sorry that this guy was legally permitted to carry guns openly guns and it does not further your cause.

Many on this board said thatif he had beenspotted in the police parking lotprior to his murder spree...he shouldnot have been stopped and be allowed to go about his "business."

I am posting a fact.. get over it.

If you have a personal problem with it. I suggest you PM me for further discussion.
While LEO does sometimes squeeze that guy in a little aggressively in some topics, this is the perfect time to bring him up. If you're walking around with a rifle, that guy is the first person a lot of officers will think of when they see you. Pretending it never happened won't help you if you're approached by the police while open carrying a rifle. But knowing what preconceived notions the other person already has at the start of an encounter drastically increases the chances of it being a positive learning experience for all parties involved.

he should not have been stopped and be allowed to go about his "business.
There's a difference between being stopped, and being approached, and I think you're lumping together a large range of opinions into the most extreme one with this statement. Some do seem to feel that the police are not allowed to even acknowledge that you exist if you aren't breaking any laws. But it has always seemed to me that most of us understand the difference between an officer walking up to talk with us (to get a feel for whether or not we're a nut job), versus taking us into custody on the spot. If you look back at events involving the more visible of us, like Rev and Danbus, the issue at the time wasn't that they were approached, but how the officer behaved after they were approached.

If I'm out running errands and shopping while open carrying, and an officer wants to talk to me while I'm doing it, I'll gladly talk to him while I'm doing it. Lord knows that anyone on here who has met me will agree that it's not hard to get me talking. But we're not standing still for long while we talk unless I'm waiting at a register. I'll even tell him where I'm headed next if he really feels the need to talk more. But I'm not wasting valuable time sitting in one place.

LEO 229

imported post

I only posted him to make a point...

This guy spoiled things for all. Cops are not going to look at any guy with a rifle asinnocent anymore. Don't get mad at the cops for worrying about being murdered.

If you decide to OC with a rifle... expect to be watched and approached. Do not be shocked ifa coptreats you as a threat before shaking your hand and sending you on your way.

Let's be honest for a moment... OC with a rifle is really for the country where you are likely to need to shoot a distance target. A rifle is not a practical self defence weapon in the metro area.

Firing a rifle in the metro area can travel for a long distance so if you missed your target.... your likely to hit someone else inside a house.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. You are entitled to have your own too.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I only posted him to make a point...

This guy spoiled things for all. Cops are not going to look at any guy with a rifle asinnocent anymore. Don't get mad at the cops for worrying about being murdered.

If you decide to OC with a rifle... expect to be watched and approached. Do not be shocked ifa coptreats you as a threat before shaking your hand and sending you on your way.

Let's be honest for a moment... OC with a rifle is really for the country where you are likely to need to shoot a distance target. A rifle is not a practical self defence weapon in the metro area.

Firing a rifle in the metro area can travel for a long distance so if you missed your target.... your likely to hit someone else inside a house.

Speaking only about metro areas, I figured this out a few OC a Rifle threads ago....

Cops are really fearful of civilians walking around in publicwith rifles.

Fearful of what they are doing....what they might do...why they might do whatever they're doing...what they might've done...whether they might shoot them...what will happen to the cops if they don't check it out...etc.

Cops, as a group, are always vigilant and careful when they see a guy with a handgun walking around--but they know, as a group, that many, many people do it legally and properly. But a rifle....that's a whole 'nother category...that garners the instant, complete and undivided attention of LEOs as a group. A man with a rifle in a public place in a metro area in the United States is simply an abnormal event. Highly abnormal.

Any talk of walking through a Wal-Mart or down the street protecting your right to bear arms with an AK or an AR on your back is complete nonsense.

Now, it may just turn out OK and you can regale friends with the story over beer and nuts at the local pub after it's all over. Andall like-minded bubbas can join in the circle-jerk about how tacti-coo-coo-collio you were. You can even engage in someinventive post hoc theorizing about how the constitutional framers wanted you to be able to do it.

But factor in ahigh probabilitythat some reasonable citizen will call it in. And a very high probability that some LEOs will respond. And maybe a small, tiny prob that something will go dreadfully wrong, and that you'll be missing that festivities at the pub.

If I ever see a guy walking downtown or myneighborhoodopenly carrying an AK or an AR, I will keep an eagle eye on him andimmediately dial 9-1-1. I will carefully and accurately report the details of what I'm seeing and will ask them to come check it please. It is a reasonable thing to call, so that's what I'd do.

I would do that as long as openly carrying a rifle in those places is a highly abnormal event.

LEO 229

imported post

Kevin108 wrote:
The original post does not talk about OCing a rifle in the city. He specifically states "in the middle of nowhere."
But to narrow it down to an open field or area not likely to have other people....

I do not see this being a problem out in the country.

Somecitizens out in the country have gun racks in their vehicle. This is socially accepted and understood. Guns area truly a way of life. People hunt in the country and a guy walking in a field with a rifle is not a big deal.

Keeping mind you will need to be cautious of where you plan to walk about. Some areas may be a little more sensitive than others if you start getting near community events and public areas.