• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd at Beth's Cafe

just_a_car

imported post

So, I frequent Beth's Cafe at the NorthWest corner of Greenlake on Highway 99 (Aurora), mainly due to the fact that I'm both a caffeine addict and a night-owl and they're open 24 hours a day. They know my face well enough there and I've learned a few of the employee's names.

I was there last Thursday September 6th and had decided to OC while having coffee and studying my textbook for next quarter at 2am. The manager had passed by and was standing at the register about ten feet from me and 3 feet from him on one of the stools was the cook. Out of nowhere the cook says "Is that a pistol?", which caught me a little off-guard so I just answered "Yup."

He then asked: "For self-defense?"
Me: "Yeah, pretty much.... And I belong to a group of people that try to raise the awareness of the legality of open carry."
Cook: "Oh, I already knew it was legal, a friend and I were talking about it a while back."

The conversation continued onto some other topics from there. The manager stood there and listened to our conversation for a good bit, too.

Just the fact that he already knew it was legal blew me away!

I then OC'd there again on Sunday September 9th with an almost totally different crew and nothing was said what-so-ever.

Both times I wore my dark blue blue-jeans and a light blue denim button-down shirt, so my GLOCK 27 and SERPA holster were pretty conspicuous.

Not sure if my experience there warrants adding them to the Pro-gun Business List, but the acting night manager was right there and didn't say anything. Also, that cook is fairly new; he's been there for a couple/few months. So, before I add them, I'd like all of your thoughts on whether they should be put on the list.

expvideo

imported post

That's awesome. I like Beths. The only anti gun thing I've noticed is that everytime I put up some pro-2a kind of drawing, it's down by the next time I go :D

I never OCed there because I figured I'd be asked to leave. Maybe I will have to re-evaluate my assumptions.

jchen012

imported post

Wow I used to live in U-District and went to Greenlake everyday to go jogging. Never been to this place. I will definately have to go now and OC my Sig and depending on my experience, perhaps leave a nice tip :D

joshmmm

imported post

jchen012 wrote:
Wow I used to live in U-District and went to Greenlake everyday to go jogging. Never been to this place. I will definately have to go now and OC my Sig and depending on my experience, perhaps leave a nice tip :D

If you've never been to Beth's you will be amazed. I love the food there.A few years ago a trip there meant a load of laundry and an hour long shower to wash off the layers of smoke but now it is just a great place! The smoking ban cleared away the dirty crowd that used to sit there for hours. It makes going there much more pleasant.

Now, when you go to Beth's expect to be shocked by the portions. They serve mainly omelettes. The omelettes come in two sizes; 6 egg or 12 egg (served on a pizza pan!) Don't order a 12 egg unless you are sharing with 3 people. The omelettes also include unlimited hashbrowns--you can add onions to the hashbrowns for a buck if you want.

Beth's would be a great place to have one of our get togethers. The crowd and the staffare very left leaning so a great education opportunity too!

compmanio365

imported post

Sounds like Burs down in Lakewood....I used to go there all the time when I lived that way. Huge portions, used to be a smoking restaurant, but since the smoking ban is better. Older people go there all the time, nice quiet place with great food and better prices. Too bad it's all the way in Lakewood now otherwise I'd go more often.

I'd defiantly be up for an OC trip to that little cafe though. Sounds like fun. Maybe next month?

just_a_car

imported post

The issue with Beth's is that the music is VERY loud. I put on my full-ear headphones to listen to my music while reading/studying and couldn't drown their music out. You pretty much have to speak in a raised voice all the time; not yelling, just not a normal indoors voice.

If I remember correctly, during the middle of the day, it's not nearly as loud unless someone puts the jukebox on, then it gets loud again, but the staff are able to control the volume.

acrimsontide

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
jchen012 wrote:
If you've never been to Beth's you will be amazed. I love the food there.A few years ago a trip there meant a load of laundry and an hour long shower to wash off the layers of smoke but now it is just a great place! The smoking ban cleared away the dirty crowd that used to sit there for hours. It makes going there much more pleasant.
Ah, smoking ban...one of those unimportant individual rights taken away.

joshmmm

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
The issue with Beth's is that the music is VERY loud. I put on my full-ear headphones to listen to my music while reading/studying and couldn't drown their music out. You pretty much have to speak in a raised voice all the time; not yelling, just not a normal indoors voice.

If I remember correctly, during the middle of the day, it's not nearly as loud unless someone puts the jukebox on, then it gets loud again, but the staff are able to control the volume.

That is very odd--I've probably been there a couple dozen times over the past 7 years and not once have I thought the music was too loud. The crowd can be loud at 2 AM on New Year's or on a Saturday morning but honestly I have never had trouble carrying on a conversation even with a large table of people.

(not to say that it can't be loud--I've just never seen it) :)

joshmmm

imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
joshmmm wrote:
jchen012 wrote:
And thank god!!! I have told many people that I am totally against laws limiting individual freedom; laws exactly like the smoking ban. However, I was still 100% for this law as it has allowed many people, like myself, to be able to enjoy a night out with friends without damaging my body with other people's waste. In the end I figure if otherpeople can be in favor of (and pass)laws that I philosophically and practically dislike why can't I be in favor of a law I philosophically dislike but practically love!

just_a_car

imported post

acrimsontide wrote:
That's the thing... it's not an idividual's right to harm other people, which is exactly what's happening when other people inhale second-hand smoke.

I'm all for freedom to smoke (anything you'd like) or do whatever drugs you want, as long as you don't hurt other people in the process. You wanna shoot up in your own home? Fine, do it. You want to smoke a joint in your own home? Fine, do it. But if you want to drop acid or drink a fifth of whiskey and start driving down the freeway... I hope you go to jail for a long time.

Washington's "ban" is only a ban on smoking indoors at public places, not in private clubs, which is why hookah bars are still legal (they make you sign in as a "member" for the day) and why the private dance club I go to is smoking-legal. Also, you can't be 25 feet within an entry or ventilation inlet, but very few people follow that and no one enforces it.

amlevin

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
In the end I figure if otherpeople can be in favor of (and pass)laws that I philosophically and practically dislike why can't I be in favor of a law I philosophically dislike but practically love!
------------------------------
hyp·o·crite/ˈhɪp
thinsp.png
ə
thinsp.png
krɪt/

–noun

a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

-----------------------

If you profess to hate a law that takes away YOUR freedoms, yet support laws that take away OTHER's freedoms, see the above definition.

It can't be both ways.

joshmmm

imported post

amlevin wrote:
joshmmm wrote:
In the end I figure if otherpeople can be in favor of (and pass)laws that I philosophically and practically dislike why can't I be in favor of a law I philosophically dislike but practically love!
------------------------------
hyp·o·crite/ˈhɪp
thinsp.png
ə
thinsp.png
krɪt/

–noun

a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, esp. a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.

a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, esp. one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

-----------------------

If you profess to hate a law that takes away YOUR freedoms, yet support laws that take away OTHER's freedoms, see the above definition.

It can't be both ways.
I pretty much wrote that I was being hypocritical in the post... In fact, that was the whole point of the post... what is your point?

just_a_car

imported post

Just a reminder: This thread is about Beth's Cafe. If you want to discuss/argue who's being hypocritical, please do it over PM. I'm not a mod, I'm just making a request of fellow members so that the thread may stay on-topic.

Thanks,
JAC

expvideo

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
acrimsontide wrote:
That's the thing... it's not an idividual's right to harm other people, which is exactly what's happening when other people inhale second-hand smoke.

I'm all for freedom to smoke (anything you'd like) or do whatever drugs you want, as long as you don't hurt other people in the process. You wanna shoot up in your own home? Fine, do it. You want to smoke a joint in your own home? Fine, do it. But if you want to drop acid or drink a fifth of whiskey and start driving down the freeway... I hope you go to jail for a long time.

Washington's "ban" is only a ban on smoking indoors at public places, not in private clubs, which is why hookah bars are still legal (they make you sign in as a "member" for the day) and why the private dance club I go to is smoking-legal. Also, you can't be 25 feet within an entry or ventilation inlet, but very few people follow that and no one enforces it.

I agree that it is your right to breathe clean air, and as a non-smoker (now), it is nice to not always smell smoke. However, I think that it's the property owner's right to decide if he or she wants their establishment to be smoking or non-smoking.

I'm not saying that smoking is or isn't a right. I personally think that it is, but that's not why I disagree with the smoking bans. I beleive it is a violation of the property owner's rights to ban smoking indoors. If I owned a bar it should be my right to decide if I want smoking in the bar, not the state's right.

Your entitled to your opinion on this, and I don't think you're a hypocrite for wanting to breathe clean(ish) air.

To stay on topic, I really like beths. My fiancee try to go whenever we are near greenlake. I've never found the volume to be that bad; it could depend on the shift and who's serving.

John Henry

imported post

expvideo wrote:
...However, I think that it's the property owner's right to decide if he or she wants their establishment to be smoking or non-smoking...

To stay on topic, I really like beths. My fiancee try to go whenever we are near greenlake. I've never found the volume to be that bad; it could depend on the shift and who's serving.

I agree 100%. What happened to rights of the property owner?

I'll have to try Beth's sometime when I am in Seattle.

just_a_car

imported post

John Henry wrote:
expvideo wrote:
...However, I think that it's the property owner's right to decide if he or she wants their establishment to be smoking or non-smoking...

I highly recommend the 6-egg "Southwestern Exposure" omelette; it's what I order to eat anytime I'm not having just coffee. It's like a Nacho Omelette almost with chili, cheese, onions, sour cream, and salsa all inside the omelette.

joshmmm

imported post

just_a_car wrote:
John Henry wrote:
expvideo wrote:

I highly recommend the 6-egg "Southwestern Exposure" omelette; it's what I order to eat anytime I'm not having just coffee. It's like a Nacho Omelette almost with chili, cheese, onions, sour cream, and salsa all inside the omelette.

Not being a huge fan of Chili I have never tried that one but have heard from others it is good. As much as I love an omelette with bacon, sausage, peppers, and onions I have found the other menu items to be amazing as well.

If you are a chicken fried steak kind of guy they make a great one. They also make an excellent bacon burger.

The one thing I highly recommend though is to add onions to your hash browns and ask for them crispy--they tend to undercook the hashbrowns and if you want them browned at all ordering crispy is required. I also add the 1-egg topper sunny side up with the hash browns to mix it in...

Man, all this talk about Beth's is making me crave it. Anyone want to plan a late night get together sometime soon? I'm always up late and I often remain at the library in Seattleso going after studying would sound pretty good to me if anyone else is ever up for it... (Besides myself and JAC who else is currently a student in the Seattle area?)

just_a_car

imported post

...and another great OC at Beth's to report from "this morning".

I had just arrived and was chatting with some friends a table over that had arrived before me (unbeknownst to me) and the cook (not the same cook as before, a longer-term one) asked "Is that a 380?" and I said "Nope, it's a G27." and he replied "Oh, okay. Looked a lot like my 380." and I replied "Ah, Kel-Tec; nice little gun." and the conversation ended as he went back to cooking.

I assumed he meant the Kel-Tec "P380" or "P3AT" model, but he could've meant any pistol in .380 caliber.

My GLOCK 27 was holstered openly in my SERPA holster and very obvious. The manager there at the time "Betty", who knows me by face now well, easily saw it all night and heard the cook's exchange with me and said nothing.

I'm really thinking this probably puts Beth's close to "A-OK" for the Pro-Gun list, but the people I've dealt with have all been the grave shift. I don't know how the day shifts would react.