• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the forums

SetivaSicWood

imported post

First off,I want to express my apprication for all the detailed information I havediscoveredhere. It's been quite helpful navigating the dis / incorrect info floating around' regarding gun laws in Oregon.

I've owned "long guns" for yearsyet just recently ventured in to the realm of hand gun ownership. I looked long and hard to find what I felt was the proper side arm for myself.... That turned out being a Kimber 1911 45 ACP.

Little did I know at the time I'd committed a "felony" as I walked it "new in the box" out to my truck; because it was "in a box"; for all intents and purposes it was concealed.

However, due to my unbridled excitement;I promptlyreleased it from it's bindings and placed it plain view on the seat beside me......

Whew.. dodged a bullet on that one (pardon the pun)

I love my wife, but now.....She has competition for my affection.

Kiding aside; prior to the purchase I did have a basic understand of the open carry laws thanks to the info I found here.

So once again thanks to all who post. It makes a difference.

[suP][suB]"Who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people"[/suB][/suP]-George Mason "Father of the Bill of Rights" Delegate to the Constitutional Convention.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

No problem.

Btw, it's a misdemeanor, not a felony. Open carrying a handgun in a holster is not unlawful, whether in or outside a car, unlike Washington.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

Lonnie, you are correct .....

Upon review it would have "only" been a class A misdemeanor.(guess I should have read the last line of 166.250 a little closer.. lol)

Being that I have no blemishs on my record, I was suprised my ignorance could have compromised my pristine history as a "law abiding citizen"

Living in Tigard and advocating my 2nd amend rights can potentually stur up "issues", as I live 1500 ft from a school and the local Quicke mart I perfer to frequent is perhaps 700 feet from the school.

When I opt to open carry, I do so unloaded anddon't stop at the Quicke mart.......

However being an avid angler, I do understandI have the right to carry concealed; traveling to, partisipating in, and returning home from, said adventures. And as long as I'm wearing my chest waders, I feel fairly confident I'm within the letter of the law (Of course a Salmon in the cooler wouldn't be a bad thing either....lol)

Presently my application for a CHL has been submitted to the Washington Co Sherrif and I'm waiting to be called in for an appointment to finish the process. There after I believe most of my potential consernsshould be muted.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

You can't carry loaded in Tigard. They have an ordinance under ORS 166.173. I can find the actual city ordinance.

Either way, you're going to have to wait for your CHL.

FogRider

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
You can't carry loaded in Tigard. They have an ordinance under ORS 166.173. I can find the actual city ordinance.

Either way, you're going to have to wait for your CHL.
Can't carry loaded? So how do you... I mean if.... whu?
*my head assplode*

FogRider

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
Cremator75 wrote:
Lonnie Wilson wrote:

Even with a CHL, or are you referring to the unlicensed citizen?
Unlicensed.

Oh. That makes more sense. Still kinda retarded. "Sure, take it wherever you want. Just don't load it."

Oh, and welcome to the forums.