• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clerk shoots, kills gunman at video store.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

This was in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Sorry for not putting that in the subject line.

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/JG/20070913/LOCAL07/709130310&SearchID=73293280395284

Clerk shoots, kills gunman at video store
Employee pulls, fires own weapon to thwart holdup
By Abby Slutsky
The Journal Gazette

OAS_AD("Middle");

An adult video store clerk “staring down the barrel of a handgun” shot and killed a robber Wednesday, police said.

It was at least the fourth time in the past five years that someone was shot in Fort Wayne while trying to rob a business.

City police said the robber, armed with a handgun, entered VIP Video 7504 S. Anthony Blvd., on the city’s southeast side, about 4:40 p.m. and demanded cash.

The clerk, who was the only person inside the store at the time, went over to the counter, pulled his own gun and shot the robber, police spokesman Michael Joyner said.

“(The clerk) was staring down the barrel of a handgun,” Joyner said.

Joyner described the robber, who had not been identified by police Wednesday evening, as a young adult and said it appeared the robber did not fire his own weapon at the clerk.

Although the Allen County Coroner’s Office is responsible for determining the manner of death, Joyner said the shooting will likely be declared the county’s 18th homicide of the year. All have been inside the Fort Wayne city limits.

Homicides are usually declared when someone dies violently at the hands of someone else.

Not all homicides result in criminal charges.

It was unknown Wednesday whether the clerk, whose identity was not released, will face charges, Joyner said.

There have been other attempted holdups in recent years in which robbers were shot by their intended victims.

•In July 2005, a robber was critically wounded after the owner of the Smokehouse Tobacco Outlet on South Lafayette Street shot him.

•In August 2003, a man who tried to rob the Cap n’ Cork, 1031 Broadway, was shot to death by a store employee.

•In November 2002, an employee at the Sunoco, 5133 Coldwater Road, shot and killed a man who was attempting to rob the gas station.

None of the shooters faced criminal charges.

The decision Wednesday’s robber made to try to rob the video store, instead of the cash advance store or the computer repair shop that sit on either side of VIP Video, was probably because of what Joyner called a “lack of natural surveillance.”

Unlike the computer repair shop or the cash advance store, which are both well-lit and have windows that offer an unobstructed view into the businesses, VIP Video’s windows were covered by closed blinds and the front door had frosted glass, making it difficult to see into the store, Joyner said.

“(The video store) was ripe for a would-be robbery,” Joyner said.

aslutsky@jg.net

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
If only the rest of the nation had would-be criminals making up at least 4 out of 18 homocides...
Well, it's a nice thought, but I think you misread... the other 3 robbers were shot in previous years ('05, '03, & '02).

Best I can tell that's 1 out of 18 (for 2007) where the victim won. Still, that's far better than the statistics you might see in many other places (e.g. CA).

swift

imported post

Interesting how the author said it would most likely be a homicide & then defined homicide, but neglected to define the term "justified homicide" as in self defense. Sounds like the author is trying to say that the clerk murdered the poor defensless robber.

Criminals already are more affraid of running into an armed victim than the police according to surveys of criminals in prison. It's one of the risks they are willing to take in the risks vs rewards dilema. Now if only more citizens were armed & ready we could increase the risks to make more criminals decide the possible rewards are not worth the risks.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

*Edited for stupid just-woke-up spelling errors.*

swift wrote:
Interesting how the author said it would most likely be a homicide & then defined homicide, but neglected to define the term "justified homicide" as in self defense. Sounds like the author is trying to say that the clerk murdered the poor defensless robber.
Homicides are usually declared when someone dies violently at the hands of someone else.

Not all homicides result in criminal charges.
I was thinking that at first when I saw the word "homicide", but everything the author said is true. No, they didn't sway on the side of self-defense, but they didn't sway on the side of murder either. I think in this case they did a pretty good job of just saying it as it is. After all, it was Joyner, the police spokesman, whom used the word homicide. The author then just took the time to clarify what that means.

swift

imported post

Good point Dreqo. Perhaps I'm a bit too sensitive to past attempts of many media sources to be biased against guns, CCW permits, the "gun lobby", and self defense. It could be I tried to read something between the lines that the author did not actually intend to put there. At least the author did include the important facts, such as the fact that the clerk was staring down the barrel of a gun. That is a plus for sure as sometimes that kind of detail gets left out.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Yeah, and heck they even decided to throw in there other examples where armed employees have saved lives and thwarted criminals. :)can't complain there!