• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammunition transport

Individualist

imported post

any advice on the best way to transport ammo in bulk? I'm moving to the great AK, and have ammo to move...... lets just say its in the 1000's between all myfirearms...

acrimsontide

imported post

Individualist wrote:
any advice on the best way to transport ammo in bulk? I'm moving to the great AK, and have ammo to move...... lets just say its in the 1000's between all myfirearms...
I think I would find out how to ship the ammo via a commercial carrier. If you plan on taking it yourself by air, then you will run into airline and NTSB regulations. If you plan to take it by car/truck, then Canadian law comes ito the situation.

imperialism2024

imported post

When I saw this thread, I thought of Lord of War:

Border Agent: "I hope you're not thinking of selling these, Mr. Orlov."
Yuri Orlov: "Personal use."
BA: "There's a hundred thousand bullets here."
YO: "I'm kind of trigger happy."
BA: "Trigger happy?"
YO: *Hands over wad of bills*

martialcanine.45

imported post

What about transporting firearms to Alaska? I own semi-autos, revolvers,hi-cap shotguns, and some AR-platformed rifles.

There used to be a process by which your arms were sealed in containers and inventoried by Canadian border officials and then checked upon exiting, but I am doubtful that is still practiced with their restrictions on arms.

When we're talking about 10 firearms, what should I look into? Commercial shippers that specialize in this? Thanks.

bobcat

imported post

I have contemplated this and figured if I catch a Ferry to Juneau/Anchorage in Bellingham, WA, I should have no problems. Load up a vehicle in a secure manner, as it will be on lower decks during the three day run to AK. Passengers are not allowed free access to the car decks during the 'voyage'. Some will allow you to keep a dog in the vehicle and thus occasional access to the vehicle to care for the pooch. (Think back of pick-up with camper shell.)

This is the only way I could get my 'stuff' to AK without having to go through customs and Kanadistan. Cost was $1500 to 2000 per person. Figure up the fuel and expenses for the 4-5 day, 2500 mile run (one driver) from say, Sandpoint Id. through British Columbia to Anchorage and the idea begins to have merit. It would be a beautiful drive... but consider no miles on your vehicle, no worries about breaking down in upper unpopulated canuck land.

Too bad we didn't annex BC when we had the chance... Maybe we'll get our wish with the NAU?:X

Baradium

imported post

The guns I brought up I did as checked baggage commercially.

It is still possible to do the secured firearms transport through canada, I believe there is a per weapon fee involved. Seems like it'd be a big hassle with any large number of weapons (and they might faint at the idea anyway). You need to do paperwork *before* getting to the border as well. Especially for sidearms!

The ferry may very well be the easiest method to deal with if you are planning on a large number of weapons.

Ammunition can be shipped commercially (it does need to be declared). I'm not sure what, ifany, limitations are there. Something to put into the "check into this" file maybe?

If you are going to mail weapons, you can use the dealer to dealer transfer method. Some dealers will give you a discount for multiple guns. Where in Alaska are you going? I know the dealer to use for that type of thing in Fairbanks.

martialcanine.45

imported post

Thanks for the info. I'm not looking atmoving up for another 2-3 years yet, so I've got some time and things can change, but all of this gives me some great ideas and leads to pursue.

The thought of transporting them through Canada being subject to their jack-booted laws makes me shiver. It doesn't seem like any customs process or paperwork could prevent them from confiscating them on a whim at any point on the trip once I crossed the line. Anyone ever transported through Canada?

The drive would be nice as friends of mine have personally attested. It's breathtaking, but then again, if I'm heading to Alaska, I can wait for even better views!!!

As far as dealer to dealer, I'm not sure where I will be going. It depends on my research from now until then, if I find a job before getting there, etc. I'm sure my entry point would be Anchorage or Fairbanks by air transport.

smithj

imported post

I took a 22 cal rifle through Canada to AK, and it wasn't a problem. The customs guy had me give him the car keys and unlock the rifle case after assuring him that it was unloaded and then place the unopened case back in the car. He then told me to wait in the lobby. Presumably he either inspected the rifle on the spot or tooke the case to another location and inspected it. 10 minutes later, he comes back with a form all filled out (type of firearm, serial num, etc, etc) and ready for me to sign saying what type of rifle it was and why I had it (transport to AK). I paid a small fee and went on my way.

In doing the research, I found out that you can get a license to carry as many firearms as you want for one set fee. The Canadians aren't too big a fan of handguns or assault-style rifles like an AR-15... most are called "restricted", but are not "prohibited". "Restricted" seems to mean that they're allowed for certain things (like transport to the USA) but not things like self-defense. Reference http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/faq/default_e.asp#a3 Notably, any snub-nosed revolvers or tiny semi's like the glock 26 are right out (probably easier to fedex them).

Also you will likely have problems taking high-capacity mags in. My rifle had a 10-rnd mag, which I think was technically not allowed (5-rnd is the max for rifles iirc) but I heard no complaints. Reference http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets/visitin_e.asp

While in Canada, I'd keep all firearms unloaded and locked in a case in the trunk.

EDIT: sorry, the links were a bit messed up the first time. fixed now

XCon

imported post

one trick sometimes works for me is I label each boxes of ammo with my initial or letters, that way authority can get the idea that these are mine (personal use)and not for sale.

Racerman

imported post

Baradium, can you give me the name of the dealer in Fairbanks that I can have my guns shipped to? I am planning a trip to FB in August and plan on shipping the two guns - a Kahr 40 cal and a 44 mag ahead of time. Thanks.