• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Ammo Choice

hogleg

imported post

Does anyone here mix your mags? I like to throw a couple of FMJ down in the mix for penetration. JHP on top 5-6. Also as number 6 in the revolvers and speed loaders.

I haveheard of those glass impregnated rounds on top,but not sure I want to give anyone a chance to kill me or get away. I hear they are used to not cause massive damage and if not stopped followed up with the big boys.

I would hope I am competent enough to not shoot someone I did not intend to shoot.

What is your typical carry ammo configuration?

If you want to share brands go ahead but that is on a thread below. I am looking more for What Type of Ammo and why.

molonlabetn

imported post

WhenI choose a cartridge to carry,it's because it functions reliably in my weapon(s), is accurate and controllable in my weapons, has an excellent track-record for reliable expansion and penetration, andhasabove-par velocity and energy.

Double-Tap 147gr Gold-Dot JHPs in .357sig fit the bill for me. Why would I carry and mix cartridges which sacrifice several performance aspects simply to (possibly) gain slightly in one?

Short answer = 'no'.

However, for long guns... shotguns particularly, I do sometimesstagger loads in the mag-tube... but only in specific situations.

GLENGLOCKER

imported post

I wouldn't stagger FMJs in a gun for the simple fact that in a self defense situation your not going to be counting which rounds are FMJ and JHP and you have the problem of over penetration with the FMJs. I carry Cor-Bon 115gr +P in my GLOCK 26 and Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P in my GLOCK 17. The reasons being for my 26 I want a faster round because your giving up some velocity with the short barrel and everything I've read about the 124gr Gold Dot says it a great performer.

hogleg

imported post

Here is the reasonI ask. I have a cop friend and never really takeadvice from him but he did have an interesting point. I was wondering if this was right.

For him it is normal to have a couple rounds ofFMJor solid projectile forget what hecalled it, as the last 2 or 3 in the mag due to the possibility of a gun fight that ends up with the BG behind a car door etc. Theexpanding ammunition would make it through the outer skin sometimes but only about half of the time make it all the way through. Doesn't need to count just fire until he either gets em or needs new mag. then the same thing. Normal routine, hewould never get to them.