Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 90

Thread: This settles it. I'm getting a 1911.

  1. #1
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    http://www.advancedtactical.com/sweeneyarticle.pdf

    When I first started getting into handguns, I saw 1911's as old, funny lookin', out-dated pistols. The only guns I wanted anything to do with were the new futuristic looking polymer framed semi-autos. More recently, however, the 1911 has been growing on me, and I've been seriously considering buying one. After reading this article, I'm convinced.

    (If you don't want to read the whole thing, just look at the pictures and remember that none of 'em failed.)

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Memphrica, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    72

    Post imported post

    I have 2 Rock Island Armory 1911s. I got them after reading that article. They have performed above my expectations for a gun that cost less than $400.00. Now, after reading the article again, I want another one.:shock:

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    , West Virginia, USA
    Posts
    117

    Post imported post

    Thats an impressive article!

    1911's are excellent weapons and my preference. I think one reason that they tend to catch a bad reputation these days is that there are so many manufacturers making them. I mean, if a dozen or more companies were making Glocks, I'm sure a few junkers would be out there.

    With the exception of one bad mag, my Springfield has never failed. I've got almost 2000 rounds through it so far.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Almost a century after he designed it, old Mr. Browning's near-perfect pistol is still going strong.

    I got no problem with modern dog-chew toy pistols; I will probably have one myself someday soon; but there is just something classy about the looks of the 1911A1. It's got nice, straight lines, it still looks modern, especially the newer "loaded" models, and you can put some really classy-looking stocks on it to top it off.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    , , USA
    Posts
    469

    Post imported post

    My Colt series 80 customized by Don Williams of The Action Works http://www.theactionworks.com over 10 years ago.





  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Maryville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    407

    Post imported post

    DreQo wrote:
    http://www.advancedtactical.com/sweeneyarticle.pdf

    When I first started getting into handguns, I saw 1911's as old, funny lookin', out-dated pistols. The only guns I wanted anything to do with were the new futuristic looking polymer framed semi-autos. More recently, however, the 1911 has been growing on me, and I've been seriously considering buying one. After reading this article, I'm convinced.

    (If you don't want to read the whole thing, just look at the pictures and remember that none of 'em failed.)
    I have two 1911's and I love both of them. My Springfield mil spec I bought used and it had a bad extractor, but now is extremely reliable and my Para LTC was reliable right out of the box.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    Since we're showing off...my Taurus:


    [img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Test/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/PT1911/DSCF0005a.JPG[/img]

  8. #8
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    So I've been looking at the RIA's because of all the good reviews I've heard, but now I'm leaning towards the Taurus. Why? The Taurus has a lot of options standard that I would have to eventually add to the RIA,but for maybe $100 more. I'm sure the upgrades would end up being more expensive with the RIA. One of the BIG things is the ambi-safety. When I DO get my 1911's (I want two), I want to be able to use them strong and AND weak side, so the ambi-safety will be a must in the long run.


    EDIT: Hey tomahawk, the image didn't show up right. Lemme see!!

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    129

    Post imported post

    Welcome aboard DreQo! Get your 1911 (or two, three, more?) and you won't be disappointed.

    As far as I am concerned, for auto-pistols there are 1911's and then there are everything else. Some of the others have good features and are worth having but if I had to choose only one I would take the 1911 without reservation.


    (Oops - edited to fix the following issue. Sorry 'bout that, jarhead)

  10. #10
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    *sigh* what is it about the english language that forces people to add a U after the Q in my screen name? lol

  11. #11
    Regular Member Shovelhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NO VA, ,
    Posts
    355

    Post imported post

    As long as we're postin'......... :celebrate



    Mine's not as pretty as those SS ones.......but it still goes BANG everytime I pull the tigger.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Assault Weapon (N) “Any firearm whose design disturbs the sleep of progressive politicians.”.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Winchester, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    23

    Post imported post

    Shovelhead wrote:
    As long as we're postin'......... :celebrate



    Mine's not as pretty as those SS ones.......but it still goes BANG everytime I pull the tigger.


    Who makes the shoulder holster?

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    Here is mine. Along with the 3 things I always carry with it.

    Taurus 1911.
    1 Extra Mag.
    1 Surefire E2D
    1 Kershaw Nameescapesme Knife.

    Carried in a hated SERPA holster.
    Serpa Attached to a (embarassed) Blackhawk Riggers Belt.

    Usually worn with Wrangler Ranger Pants or 5.11 Tactical Pants.



  14. #14
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,350

    Post imported post

    Bourneshooter, I officially love that gun! And that, believe it or not, is the exact knife that I carry when I want to be legal...it's a good knife...I got it as a gift.

    This is what I carry when I'm more concerned about deployability and less about legality:



    She's a beautiful knife. Notice how this knife and your knife have the same "grippy" inserts? I'm wondering if they make 1911 grips with that same texture..

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    4 hours south of HankT, ,
    Posts
    5,121

    Post imported post

    DreQo wrote:
    EDIT: Hey tomahawk, the image didn't show up right. Lemme see!!
    I hope you can see it, I just dragged and dropped it. Anyway, it looks like bourneshooter's. Same model and finish. But, for some reason, mine looks prettier to me...funny how that works, isn't it?

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    363

    Post imported post

    Welcome to the ranks of the addicted. I have owned several, wish I still had all but these are what I have right now. Want more, but it will be awhile until another addition to the collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    363

    Post imported post

    Bourneshooter:

    Nice pistol, are those straight eight nite sites on it too? I got them on mine as bought and I like them a lot. Here is mine. It now has wooden grips on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    , Nevada, USA
    Posts
    343

    Post imported post

    Yes, they are the straight 8's that came standard - I asuume. Actually haven't carried my 1911 in a while. Got a Glock 19 thats become my EDC.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    Dammit you guys, you're really getting me pissed that I can't afford a 1911 right now.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    363

    Post imported post

    Sorry FogRider, but they ARE addicting and we are just proud of them. They just work so darn well and are so much fun too, hope you get yours soon.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Centennial, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    1,412

    Post imported post

    curtm1911 wrote:
    Sorry FogRider, but they ARE addicting and we are just proud of them. They just work so darn well and are so much fun too, hope you get yours soon.
    Oh, I will. And then I will post pictures, and you will all be jealous. Yeah, that's the ticket.

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    No longer in Alexandria, Egypt
    Posts
    2,798

    Post imported post

    I need an original WWII 1911 first just to add to my WWII collection....then one just for me!



  23. #23
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    , Alabama, USA
    Posts
    935

    Post imported post

    DreQo wrote:
    So I've been looking at the RIA's because of all the good reviews I've heard, but now I'm leaning towards the Taurus. Why? The Taurus has a lot of options standard that I would have to eventually add to the RIA,but for maybe $100 more. I'm sure the upgrades would end up being more expensive with the RIA. One of the BIG things is the ambi-safety. When I DO get my 1911's (I want two), I want to be able to use them strong and AND weak side, so the ambi-safety will be a must in the long run.


    EDIT: Hey tomahawk, the image didn't show up right. Lemme see!!
    DreQo...you might want to look at the "Tactical" by RIA.... $400 with about (maybe even more) the same features as the Taurus.

    http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ind...mp;ProdID=1082

    here http://gunner777.wordpress.com/2007/...mory-tactical/ is a write-up on it...


    Attached Images Attached Images

  24. #24
    Regular Member thx997303's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lehi, Utah, USA
    Posts
    2,716

    Post imported post

    I WANT ONE! Has anyone noticed this is about the same torture test that one publication put the xd through, and i believe Glock does the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I want a 1911, just mentioning.

    PVT McDonald

  25. #25
    Regular Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    1,224

    Post imported post

    bourneshooter wrote:
    Here is mine. Along with the 3 things I always carry with it.

    Taurus 1911.
    1 Extra Mag.
    1 Surefire E2D
    1 Kershaw Nameescapesme Knife.

    Carried in a hated SERPA holster.
    Serpa Attached to a (embarassed) Blackhawk Riggers Belt.

    Usually worn with Wrangler Ranger Pants or 5.11 Tactical Pants.

    Am I looking at your sparemagazine correctly in that I see it loaded with FMJ's? Just curious, do you carry those for defensive purposes or was that for the range?


    Peace through superior firepower

    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •