• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This settles it. I'm getting a 1911.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

http://www.advancedtactical.com/sweeneyarticle.pdf

When I first started getting into handguns, I saw 1911's as old, funny lookin', out-dated pistols. The only guns I wanted anything to do with were the new futuristic looking polymer framed semi-autos. More recently, however, the 1911 has been growing on me, and I've been seriously considering buying one. After reading this article, I'm convinced.

(If you don't want to read the whole thing, just look at the pictures and remember that none of 'em failed.)

blk

imported post

I have 2 Rock Island Armory 1911s. I got them after reading that article. They have performed above my expectations for a gun that cost less than $400.00. Now, after reading the article again, I want another one.:shock:

Agent6-3/8

imported post

Thats an impressive article!

1911's are excellent weapons and my preference. I think one reason that they tend to catch a bad reputation these days is that there are so many manufacturers making them. I mean, if a dozen or more companies were making Glocks, I'm sure a few junkers would be out there.

With the exception of one bad mag, my Springfield has never failed. I've got almost 2000 rounds through it so far.

Tomahawk

imported post

Almost a century after he designed it, old Mr. Browning's near-perfect pistol is still going strong.

I got no problem with modern dog-chew toy pistols; I will probably have one myself someday soon; but there is just something classy about the looks of the 1911A1. It's got nice, straight lines, it still looks modern, especially the newer "loaded" models, and you can put some really classy-looking stocks on it to top it off.

Mjolnir

imported post

My Colt series 80 customized by Don Williams of The Action Works http://www.theactionworks.com over 10 years ago.

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

massltca

imported post

DreQo wrote:
http://www.advancedtactical.com/sweeneyarticle.pdf

When I first started getting into handguns, I saw 1911's as old, funny lookin', out-dated pistols. The only guns I wanted anything to do with were the new futuristic looking polymer framed semi-autos. More recently, however, the 1911 has been growing on me, and I've been seriously considering buying one. After reading this article, I'm convinced.

(If you don't want to read the whole thing, just look at the pictures and remember that none of 'em failed.)
I have two 1911's and I love both of them. My Springfield mil spec I bought used and it had a bad extractor, but now is extremely reliable and my Para LTC was reliable right out of the box.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So I've been looking at the RIA's because of all the good reviews I've heard, but now I'm leaning towards the Taurus. Why? The Taurus has a lot of options standard that I would have to eventually add to the RIA,but for maybe $100 more. I'm sure the upgrades would end up being more expensive with the RIA. One of the BIG things is the ambi-safety. When I DO get my 1911's (I want two), I want to be able to use them strong and AND weak side, so the ambi-safety will be a must in the long run.

EDIT: Hey tomahawk, the image didn't show up right. Lemme see!! :D

Basic Guy

imported post

Welcome aboard DreQo! Get your 1911 (or two, three, more?) and you won't be disappointed.

As far as I am concerned, for auto-pistols there are 1911's and then there are everything else. Some of the others have good features and are worth having but if I had to choose only one I would take the 1911 without reservation.

(Oops - edited to fix the following issue. Sorry 'bout that, jarhead)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

*sigh* what is it about the english language that forces people to add a U after the Q in my screen name? lol

Shovelhead

imported post

As long as we're postin'......... :celebrate:monkey

Mine's not as pretty as those SS ones.......but it still goes BANG everytime I pull the tigger.

Attachments

• Commander and friends.JPG
    Commander and friends.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 1,186

bourneshooter

imported post

Here is mine. Along with the 3 things I always carry with it.

Taurus 1911.
1 Extra Mag.
1 Surefire E2D
1 Kershaw Nameescapesme Knife.

Carried in a hated SERPA holster.
Serpa Attached to a (embarassed) Blackhawk Riggers Belt.

Usually worn with Wrangler Ranger Pants or 5.11 Tactical Pants.

6-10WarriousPockets.jpg

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Bourneshooter, I officially love that gun! And that, believe it or not, is the exact knife that I carry when I want to be legal...it's a good knife...I got it as a gift.

This is what I carry when I'm more concerned about deployability and less about legality:

micro%20scarab%20de%20tactical.jpg

She's a beautiful knife. Notice how this knife and your knife have the same "grippy" inserts? I'm wondering if they make 1911 grips with that same texture..

Tomahawk

imported post

DreQo wrote:
EDIT: Hey tomahawk, the image didn't show up right. Lemme see!! :D
I hope you can see it, I just dragged and dropped it. Anyway, it looks like bourneshooter's. Same model and finish. But, for some reason, mine looks prettier to me...funny how that works, isn't it?

curtm1911

imported post

Welcome to the ranks of the addicted. I have owned several, wish I still had all but these are what I have right now. Want more, but it will be awhile until another addition to the collection.

Attachments

• DSC00162.JPG
    DSC00162.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 906

curtm1911

imported post

Bourneshooter:

Nice pistol, are those straight eight nite sites on it too? I got them on mine as bought and I like them a lot. Here is mine. It now has wooden grips on it.

Attachments

• DSC00160.JPG
    DSC00160.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 881

bourneshooter

imported post

Yes, they are the straight 8's that came standard - I asuume. Actually haven't carried my 1911 in a while. Got a Glock 19 thats become my EDC.