• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This settles it. I'm getting a 1911.

FogRider

imported post

curtm1911 wrote:
Sorry FogRider, but they ARE addicting and we are just proud of them. They just work so darn well and are so much fun too, hope you get yours soon.
Oh, I will. And then I will post pictures, and you will all be jealous. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
So I've been looking at the RIA's because of all the good reviews I've heard, but now I'm leaning towards the Taurus. Why? The Taurus has a lot of options standard that I would have to eventually add to the RIA,but for maybe $100 more. I'm sure the upgrades would end up being more expensive with the RIA. One of the BIG things is the ambi-safety. When I DO get my 1911's (I want two), I want to be able to use them strong and AND weak side, so the ambi-safety will be a must in the long run.

EDIT: Hey tomahawk, the image didn't show up right. Lemme see!! :D

DreQo...you might want to look at the "Tactical" by RIA.... $400 with about (maybe even more) the same features as the Taurus.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1082

here http://gunner777.wordpress.com/2007/02/02/rock-island-armory-tactical/ is a write-up on it...

Attachments

• AC-RI1911TAC-B.jpg
    AC-RI1911TAC-B.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,718

thx997303

imported post

I WANT ONE! Has anyone noticed this is about the same torture test that one publication put the xd through, and i believe Glock does the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I want a 1911, just mentioning.

PVT McDonald

Flintlock

imported post

bourneshooter wrote:
Here is mine. Along with the 3 things I always carry with it.

Taurus 1911.
1 Extra Mag.
1 Surefire E2D
1 Kershaw Nameescapesme Knife.

Carried in a hated SERPA holster.
Serpa Attached to a (embarassed) Blackhawk Riggers Belt.

Usually worn with Wrangler Ranger Pants or 5.11 Tactical Pants.

6-10WarriousPockets.jpg

Am I looking at your sparemagazine correctly in that I see it loaded with FMJ's? Just curious, do you carry those for defensive purposes or was that for the range?

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Flintlock...I may be mistaken but, those look like LSWC's....maybe 200 grainers?
Depending on the cast "recipe", they would be very effective for PD use....as effective as a lot of the modern HP ammo IMHO.....they would indeed make BIG holes.
"Linotype" characters used to be a very nice "blend" to cast with...very hard to find now days.

RHVette

imported post

DreQo wrote:
So I've been looking at the RIA's because of all the good reviews I've heard, but now I'm leaning towards the Taurus. Why? The Taurus has a lot of options standard that I would have to eventually add to the RIA,but for maybe $100 more. I'm sure the upgrades would end up being more expensive with the RIA. One of the BIG things is the ambi-safety. When I DO get my 1911's (I want two), I want to be able to use them strong and AND weak side, so the ambi-safety will be a must in the long run.

EDIT: Hey tomahawk, the image didn't show up right. Lemme see!! :D
If I were you, I'd stick with the RIA's. I've never heard anything but praise for them, which I can't say for Taurus autos. Taurus makes good revolvers (see, the Judge), but they seem to have major QC issues when they try to make an auto.

tarzan1888

imported post

DreQo wrote:
http://www.advancedtactical.com/sweeneyarticle.pdf

When I first started getting into handguns, I saw 1911's as old, funny lookin', out-dated pistols. The only guns I wanted anything to do with were the new futuristic looking polymer framed semi-autos. More recently, however, the 1911 has been growing on me, and I've been seriously considering buying one. After reading this article, I'm convinced.

(If you don't want to read the whole thing, just look at the pictures and remember that none of 'em failed.)

Good read.

I have seen it before. A year or so ago there was a discussion on reliability of the 1911 compared to the block...er Glock and this article was posted in defense of the 1911.

In all fairness Glocks have survived similar tests.

Tarzan

PS Glocks are good guns, but I don't like the way they feel, shoot of look.

curtm1911

imported post

IMO you can't go wrong with the Taurus. After about a 1000 + rounds, mine is still running just fine. It gobbles up FMJ & JHP with no problems and just wants more, I know, it told me so:D, ok, just kidding there, but it is a good gun for a great price. The only down side thatI can see is the finish is a little thin, but no big deal. I think it adds some unique charater to it.

Attachments

• Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP  2.JPG
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP 2.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,667

ScottyT

imported post

Ugh! You guys just keep adding more to my list of possible 1911s!

I plan on buying one here in a month or so (hopefully to celebrate my raise at work) and my list of possibilities is as follows:

These are all about $450-$1,000, I will probably end up with something $450-$700. Prices are MSRP.

Dan Wesson Pointman 7 -- $1,000 (probably a bit too rich for my blood)
Kimber Custom II (walnut grips) -- $819.00
Kimber Royal II -- $943
Springfield Milspec -- $715
Springfield GI -- $619
Para SSP -- $900
Sig GSR (one of the bottom end) -- $900ish

Two most likely contenders:

Taurus 1911B - BHW -- $750ish
Rock Island -- $450-$500

Please comment on my list! I am generally on a pretty tight budget...

Now if people could just stop talking about them and posting magazine articles, I might be more patient!

tarzan1888

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
Ugh! You guys just keep adding more to my list of possible 1911s!

I plan on buying one here in a month or so (hopefully to celebrate my raise at work) and my list of possibilities is as follows:

These are all about $450-$1,000, I will probably end up with something $450-$700. Prices are MSRP.

Dan Wesson Pointman 7 -- $1,000 (probably a bit too rich for my blood)
Kimber Custom II (walnut grips) -- $819.00
Kimber Royal II -- $943
Springfield Milspec -- $715
Springfield GI -- $619
Para SSP -- $900
Sig GSR (one of the bottom end) -- $900ish

Two most likely contenders:

Taurus 1911B - BHW -- $750ish
Rock Island -- $450-$500

Please comment on my list! I am generally on a pretty tight budget...

Now if people could just stop talking about them and posting magazine articles, I might be more patient!

Check with Doug's Shoot "n" Sports in SLC.

If they don't currently have one in stock, they are worth the wait. :D

Tarzan

ScottyT

imported post

tarzan1888 wrote:

I know someone who bought a Springfield 1911 A1 GI in there about 4 years ago for $409. They have gone up but not that much. I just called Doug's and they are currently $469, when they are in stock.

Tarzan
Thanks!

When the time comes I will be sure to hit them up. I like Doug's more than some of the others anyway...

tarzan1888

imported post

ScottyT wrote:
tarzan1888 wrote:

I know someone who bought a Springfield 1911 A1 GI in there about 4 years ago for $409. They have gone up but not that much. I just called Doug's and they are currently $469, when they are in stock.

Tarzan
Thanks!

When the time comes I will be sure to hit them up. I like Doug's more than some of the others anyway...

You are welcome and welcome to the group of happy 1911 shooters. :)

Tarzan

curtm1911

imported post

Yes Scotty T, you will soon be another very happy 1911 owner and shooter. For magazines, Wilson Combat or Chip McCormick are the best you will find. you just can't ever have too many magazines IMO. You might also look into a .22 pistol for practice and fun, cheap to shoot and just plain fun too. I really like my MKII 22/45, it goes with me to the range everytime I go. Warm-up with it, and finish up with it for some fun shooting. Welcome and Enjoy.

expvideo

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Bourneshooter, I officially love that gun! And that, believe it or not, is the exact knife that I carry when I want to be legal...it's a good knife...I got it as a gift.

This is what I carry when I'm more concerned about deployability and less about legality:

micro%20scarab%20de%20tactical.jpg

She's a beautiful knife. Notice how this knife and your knife have the same "grippy" inserts? I'm wondering if they make 1911 grips with that same texture..
Yes. They do. ERGO makes them. Or you can get a sheet of skateboard grip tape for $5 at a skate shop and cut your own.

bourneshooter

imported post

Flintlock wrote:
bourneshooter wrote:
Here is mine. Along with the 3 things I always carry with it.

Taurus 1911.
1 Extra Mag.
1 Surefire E2D
1 Kershaw Nameescapesme Knife.

Carried in a hated SERPA holster.
Serpa Attached to a (embarassed) Blackhawk Riggers Belt.

Usually worn with Wrangler Ranger Pants or 5.11 Tactical Pants.

6-10WarriousPockets.jpg

Am I looking at your sparemagazine correctly in that I see it loaded with FMJ's? Just curious, do you carry those for defensive purposes or was that for the range?
That was an older picture I had when it was posted. Shortly after taking that picture I was carrying Black Hills 185gr. JHP. Still have a Wilson Combat ETM mag loaded with 8 rounds of BH that hasn't been unloaded for probably 2 months.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Great pic of the Taurus 1911, the wear marks really do give it personality!!! I'm suprised you haven't swapped out the grips yet. I really didn't like those factory jobs, they always bit into my hand.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

My new pride and joy - I know it's a Smith but I had to give it a good home. It was the last one available anywhere and I practically stole it!

26688671@N04

564p2u

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

My newest acquisition - I know it's a Smith but I had to give it a good home! It appears to be the last one available in this configuration and I practically stole it - under $750
26688671@N04
. It's as accurate as my Baer TRS and totally reliable. Added Crimson Trace grips and Cobra II mags.

Commander 1911

Yata hey