• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

This settles it. I'm getting a 1911.

WhiteFeather

imported post

I have nothing to add but some pictures...

IMG_00322.jpg

My first carry pistol was a PT1911...

Not much has changed and I don't see that it will.

Evil Ernie

imported post

Nice sidearm Whitefeather!!!
I gotta clean mine this week, carrying gets all kinds of hair, skin, sweat, lint in there. Hey, kinda like my bellybutton....maybe that's what I should call it; "Second Bellybutton"...:lol:
As for that video on the OP, it doesn't suprise me in the least that none of them failed. JMB created the perfect pistol for combat environments, therefore it should perform better than any firearm created for and by "civvies". Back in the "olde days" (late 80's) when I arrived at my first duty station, we were issued ancient 1911A1's that had been thru the wringer. No park left and rattled like dry beans in a blender, but it never ever failed to shoot accurate and true. Then we got our M9's and watched as Bill Clinton melted our babies down for support girders in Hillarys kankles...

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DreQo wrote:
http://www.advancedtactical.com/sweeneyarticle.pdf

When I first started getting into handguns, I saw 1911's as old, funny lookin', out-dated pistols. The only guns I wanted anything to do with were the new futuristic looking polymer framed semi-autos. More recently, however, the 1911 has been growing on me, and I've been seriously considering buying one. After reading this article, I'm convinced.

(If you don't want to read the whole thing, just look at the pictures and remember that none of 'em failed.)

Hi, I am looking at getting me another pistol for OC. I now carry a Springfield 1911 Mil Spc. and I carry that all the time, even over my XD .40 only because it conceals better. I am a proficient with both the XD and the 1911, in steal plate shooting and IPSC shooting, but I just love the 1911 so much over any other pistol because of theshort and crisp trigger.

In training with the XD the play in the trigger just disappeared in IPSC, but that came from just knowing my pistol. Well anyway I am looking at the new H&K HK45, but I love the 1911 so much I can not pass up getting another one. I would love the fact of having a H&K not just for the quality, but for GP. I have owned three 1911s in my life, but I had to sale two of them. However now I am going to get another one again for OC now. Why because I want a better looking 1911 :D. and I love how they shoot, the response, and the sightsl.. Well I found a site as I was reading on 1911s and I thought of your post here. I think you will like the link. Check it out if you have not seen it yet. It has a lot of good info on it and also if you follow the links giving on the site there ismore info. in 1911 style I like theKimber, Para Ordnance, and S&W, but I am looking now at the Wilson combat KZ-45. look good to me. http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/cockedandlocked.htm

ScottyT

imported post

Comp-tech wrote:
ScottyT wrote:
Two most likely contenders:

Taurus 1911B - BHW -- $750ish
Rock Island -- $450-$500

Please comment on my list! I am generally on a pretty tight budget...
"Tactical" by RIA.... $400

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1082

Question for those who know: Is the Taurus 1911B worth an extra $300 over the RIA Tactical? I could get a matching pair of the RIA for the price of one 1911 made by pretty much anyone else!

compmanio365

imported post

I love the 1911.....a damn sexy gun..... :p

I too vote for the RIA Tactical....I am going to slap some night glow dots on the sights and get a rubberized Hogue wrap around grip, and call it good. I hope to get mine in July when the check comes:

rockisland-tacticle.jpg

Oh, and also a Serpa to OC the dang thing! Unless someone knows of a nice looking retention holster that won't break the bank........

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

DreQo wrote:

When I first started getting into handguns, I saw 1911's as old, funny lookin', out-dated pistols. The only guns I wanted anything to do with were the new futuristic looking polymer framed semi-autos. More recently, however, the 1911 has been growing on me, and I've been seriously considering buying one. After reading this article, I'm convinced.

(If you don't want to read the whole thing, just look at the pictures and remember that none of 'em failed.)

There are 2 things I will never own. A Harley and a 1911, Because I don't have the time to work on either. Go toss a 1911 in a mud puddle for a while then tell mehow it works.

compmanio365

imported post

Evil Ernie wrote:
Me and Compmanio365, back to back, surrounded by zombies, each with a Hi Point JHP in one hand and a 1911 in the other...COME GET SUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:p:D:p
Haha......someone's gotta man the AKs! I guess I'll grow a third arm from all the radiation after the nukes fall. :p

Comp-tech

State Researcher
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
There are 2 things I will never own. A Harley and a 1911, Because I don't have the time to work on either. Go toss a 1911 in a mud puddle for a while then tell mehow it works.

Hell...you might as well give up sex too :D

Alwayspacking

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Bravo_Sierra wrote:
DreQo wrote:

Now why would I want to throw my 1911 in the mud??:D And I think if I did throw it in the mud, I think it will still work. :p

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I have 3 .45 cal 1911's and 1 9mm and wouldn't trade any of them. I am a fan of Springfield's models (even though I own a Les Baer TRS) and recommend them as the first 1911 one should get if they can afford a couple hundred more than the RIA.

ScottyT

imported post

Compmanio365, your pictures may have just convinced me! I think I will be going with the RIA Tactical! Now I just have to decide what order I should make the following purchases in:

RIA 1911 Tactical -- $500 (including FFL, a few extra mags, etc...)
Ruger 10/22 -- $300
Reloading setup -- $500 (to start....)

What order should I buy those things in? I will not have all three until probably early next year.

(If it matters, I currently have: XD 45, Remmy 870 12-gauge, Mosin M91/30, KelTec P3AT)

Eagleeye

imported post

Been looking at a Para-Ord 1911 mysellf.

dunno when I'll get one though, have a few rifles before it on my wishlist...