• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dearborn AK47 open carry?

JSK333

imported post

OK, so this probably doesn't count as open carry since it was inside a vehicle... but has anyone else heard this story?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,296865,00.html

Any chance it's someone who posts here? Dearborn is known as being home to many Arab immigrants, especially from Lebanon and Israel, which this man appears to be (i.e., don't automatically assume terrorism).

Fisherman48768

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Am I the only one who thinks that being a legal Muslim medical student and paying honest money for a gun he OCs in public shouldn't be against the law?

main.php

Fisherman48768

imported post

"Am I the only one who thinks that being a legal Muslim medical student and paying honest money for a gun he OCs in public shouldn't be against the law?"
If that were all he was doing I'd have no problem but it wasn't. You don't load up a rifle regardless of the style, paint your face and dress in camo then walk thru a park in Downtown Dearborn. Not only is it illegal but it's downright foolish in todays environment. He is either a terrorist, wannabe terrorist or mental case we'll soon know won't we. BTW: Possession of a firearm by any of the above is illegal.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

In NC it would be considered "going armed to the terror of the public", which is a firearm related crime. Don't know if it is the same in MI, but it definitely fails the reasonable person test.

ghostrider

imported post

conservative85 wrote:
HankT wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that being a legal Muslim medical student and paying honest money for a gun he OCs in public shouldn't be against the law?

main.php
First let me say Open carry is legal... pistol, knife, & I think a long gun slung over your shoulder is too, tho the latter will draw a lil more suspicion than the first two.

Now um whats a legal Muslim? Muslim should'nt be an issue, You mean a legal citizen! (Remember our laws are for all to follow, but only legal citizens are entitled to certain rights). 1st is he here Legally?, I did not see that in any report I read, 2nd he had a rifle with in reach of the operator of that vehicle, with no cpl that is illegal regardless if you're here legally, 3rd he tried to flee, that is suspicious, 4th I am all for open carry of any firearms, but we have to be responsible.
Where does it say "only legal citizens are entitled to certain rights."?

Not saying it's wrong, it's just that I hear it a lot, yet when I looked for it in the Constitution, I could not find it. It's also my understanding that the BOR was not a list of what citizens could do, but more a list of limitations upon the government.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

conservative85 wrote:
What part of U.S. Constitution don't you understand? You think a guy in Canada is afforded our rights while living in Toronto?, if an illegal shows up on our shores is he afforded the same rights as I merely because he made it toour shores. I said certain rights! (pay attention to detail). You have to be a U.S. citizen to vote. Just an example of certain rights. I am not here to defend or offend I just know that the Govt. has its law & while in the custody of the law you will be afforded basic human rights as a person,but I would have to guess that an illegal alien is not going to be afforded the right to buy a gun, vote, or in time of war acombat prisoneris not going to be afforded the right to a speedy trial in a civilian court.

We already covered the B.o.R. We all kno it was to limit Govt. but at the same time does that not give people the right to do (exercise) speech, religion, the Right of the People to Keep & Bear.
RememberI'm pulling for ya, were all in this together!
What does voting have to do with the right to bear arms?

Last time I checked the 2nd amendment (among others: 1st, 4th, etc.) said "the people" not "the citizens". Do you think that they didn't really mean "shall not be infringed" either?

This is an ongoing topic at defensivecarry.com FYI. If you're interested the latest thread can be found here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/second-amendment-discussion-news/65292-2nd-amendment-aliens-earthbound-type.html

ETA:

"I said certain rights! (pay attention to detail)"

If it wasn't relevant to the argument at hand (OC) then I'm curious as to why you brought it up in the first place?

ghostrider

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
conservative85 wrote:
What part of U.S. Constitution don't you understand? You think a guy in Canada is afforded our rights while living in Toronto?, if an illegal shows up on our shores is he afforded the same rights as I merely because he made it toour shores. I said certain rights! (pay attention to detail). You have to be a U.S. citizen to vote. Just an example of certain rights. I am not here to defend or offend I just know that the Govt. has its law & while in the custody of the law you will be afforded basic human rights as a person,but I would have to guess that an illegal alien is not going to be afforded the right to buy a gun, vote, or in time of war acombat prisoneris not going to be afforded the right to a speedy trial in a civilian court.

We already covered the B.o.R. We all kno it was to limit Govt. but at the same time does that not give people the right to do (exercise) speech, religion, the Right of the People to Keep & Bear.
RememberI'm pulling for ya, were all in this together!
What does voting have to do with the right to bear arms?

Last time I checked the 2nd amendment (among others: 1st, 4th, etc.) said "the people" not "the citizens". Do you think that they didn't really mean "shall not be infringed" either?

This is an ongoing topic at defensivecarry.com FYI. If you're interested the latest thread can be found here:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/second-amendment-discussion-news/65292-2nd-amendment-aliens-earthbound-type.html

ETA:

"I said certain rights! (pay attention to detail)"

If it wasn't relevant to the argument at hand (OC) then I'm curious as to why you brought it up in the first place?
Yeah, that.

ETA:
The "part of the Constitution I don't understand" is where it supposedly says that, "an illegal alien is not going to be afforded the right to buy a gun,". The 2A (like the rest of the BOR), is a list of limitations on government, not a granting of rights to the citizens.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

conservative85 wrote:
1. You cannot bear arms in a park if you are not a Legalcitizenbecause you cannot purchase a gun if you are not legal, there for regardless what the 2nd says (people)u have to be a citizen (required by the Const.)to be entitled to certain rights, example voting! People shall have the right to vote> that is with the understanding of the Const. that you are a legal citizen...people, person, legal, natural born, whatever you like that is all.

2. I don't care about defensivecarry fyi. I have a right to keep & bear arms& that shall not be infringed upon, there for I need not a reason to carry... Defensive or otherwise, I just can because I am an American citizen (People). (I think we r on same sheet of paper there).:D

3.Way back when we started this discussion it was relevant!:)

I was/am not Mad at ghostrider, I believe we mis understood each other, Some one pointed out that he was a Muslim med student, I was just simply saying that I had no problem with the guy w/AK 47 being a Muslim med. student O.C.ing in the park, as long as he was a Legal Muslim med. student.:D

1. It is perfectly legal for a non citizen to purchase firearms in Michigan:

"An individual who is licensed under section 5b to carry a concealed pistol is not required to obtain a license under section 2 to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.

However, such a license is only issued to a Michigan resident who is a citizen or:

a resident legal alien as defined in section 11 of title 18 of the United States Code" -
2. Ok :)

3. Looking back, I still don't see how it was relevant :?.

I think the confusion started when you said, "Now um whats a legal Muslim? Muslim shouldn't be an issue, You mean a legal citizen!"

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you meant to say, legal alien (or legal immigrant, etc.).