• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Made a trip today

hawk84

imported post

to return a movie

M&P 40 unloaded strong side
loaded mag weekside

drove the 2 miles to the store, hopped out, returned the movie, hopped back in the truck and drove home, there were 3 people around, don't think they noticed

hawk84

imported post

i think it will be quick trips like that for a while

I went shooting at the sherrifs range, asked them about it, guess he thought I meant in hte range, and said people would assume Im a cop

when i clarified, he said I shouldn't, no reason given for not conduction legal activity

CaliforniaCarry

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
And then there were 3... glad to see OC is spreading!
There might be 4 in a couple of months when I turn 21 :)

I'm still not sure yet, though. I live in LA county, so I might have to put up with a ton more crap than the rest of you. I'm also the sole provider for my household, and as much as I want to be politically active by OCing, I have to weigh the risk against my responsibilities as a husband.

It's a tough call, to say the least.

plinker

imported post

CaliforniaCarry wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:

I'm still not sure yet, though. I live in LA county, so I might have to put up with a ton more crap than the rest of you. I'm also the sole provider for my household, and as much as I want to be politically active by OCing, I have to weigh the risk against my responsibilities as a husband.

I think that you show a maturity beyond your age. I respect the fact that you recognize that you have responsibilites to your family that could possibly put them at un-necessary hardship, we are after all, like you said in California.If it only impacted yourself, I believe that you would OC proudly. I will respect whatever decision you feel you need to follow. As a husband and father, I only wish to remind you that your family obligations wereundertaken by yourselffreely and in the eyes of God. It is good that you have shown where you stand, but I will not think less of you if your wife and children(?) come before the wishes of others.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

hawk84 wrote:
to return a movie

M&P 40 unloaded strong side
loaded mag weekside

drove the 2 miles to the store, hopped out, returned the movie, hopped back in the truck and drove home, there were 3 people around, don't think they noticed

Yeah- it starts with small quick trips, and then it builds. Next to your loaded magazine there should be a digial audio recorder and you should be concisely aware that you are not within 1000ft of a school. I dont think it would hurt if you involved a sidekick so that if there is contact with police, you will have a witness.

Congratulations on losing your OC virginity.:lol:

CaliforniaCarry wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:

I have to agree with you. The more metropolitan your area is, the more likely it will be a hot button. But it can be argued that since you have a family to protect you have a greater responsibility than a single man out there exerting 2A perogatives. Do you think you can do that with your firearm in a locked container? Or while it sits at home?

And as a family man you have an advantage that single men do not. Carrying with your family reduces the image of the 'lone gunman', not only in the general publics eyes, but with police as well.

hawk84

imported post

ConditionThree, while that may be your opinion on CACarry's responsibility, it is ultimately, his choice and his alone.

Pesonally I think everyone should carry(well not quite everyone), but if they choose not to, it is their choice

Has anyone contacted a group like the NRA, to inquire about a television ad campaign in CA to highlight the fact that OC an unloaded weapon is legal. This could be far more effective then 3 "lone gunman" quitely and cautiously making 10 minute trips

CaliforniaCarry

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I have to agree with you. The more metropolitan your area is, the more likely it will be a hot button. But it can be argued that since you have a family to protect you have a greater responsibility than a single man out there exerting 2A perogatives. Do you think you can do that with your firearm in a locked container? Or while it sits at home?

And as a family man you have an advantage that single men do not. Carrying with your family reduces the image of the 'lone gunman', not only in the general publics eyes, but with police as well.
It's really a question of risk. Is my wife more at risk with me OCing or without? We live in a city that has relatively little crime, and a community within that city that has even less crime. The sheriff's station is also less than a half mile from where we live. When my wife is with me and we're out and about, she's automatically at even less risk than when she's alone.

And, of course, I can't help but realize that this entire dilemma could be solved by moving out of CA. My wife is even starting to give me the impression that she wants to get a concealed carry permit, and would also like to try OC once we're in a more gun-friendly location :lol:

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

plinker wrote:
CaliforniaCarry wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:

I'mright there with you.. one one of these forums, I made a very similar post -- almost word for post... might've been my blog, actually. But I know what you mean.

I think that you show a maturity beyond your age. I respect the fact that you recognize that you have responsibilites to your family that could possibly put them at un-necessary hardship, we are after all, like you said in California.If it only impacted yourself, I believe that you would OC proudly. I will respect whatever decision you feel you need to follow. As a husband and father, I only wish to remind you that your family obligations wereundertaken by yourselffreely and in the eyes of God. It is good that you have shown where you stand, but I will not think less of you if your wife and children(?) come before the wishes of others.

hawk84

imported post

Made 2 more trips this weekend.
First I drove down to SD to meet my gf.

When I got to here apartment complex, she wasn't there, so i decided to just sit and wait in the car. Then I saw a friend of mine(her roomate), so i yellled to him to let me in because I was gassing up my truck quite a bit and need to use the john.

So I got out and walked across the volleyball courts, met up with him, and we went upto the apartment and I relieved myself. After relieving myself, I chambered a round and put the firearm on my gfs desk.

When I left her place I did more or less the same thing in reverse order,

Hellrazor227

imported post

I have newly discovered this forum but like most of you I've been researching open carry. Me and my buddy went to the local wal mart (which is always packed because its a 24 hour wal mart) with me open carrying. Got a few stares and I made sure to walk past as many workers to see if they would freak out and call the cops. Nobody stopped me or asked me to leave and as I left i noticed a police car in the parking lot. At the wal mart I shopped at they have a police car there normally about 50% of the time I go there. I left and nobody stopped me nor was I confronted by the police officer.

lol i have to admit i was scared out of my wits though as it was my first time (a seat belt noise went off in my buddies car and i replied "whats that" in a nervous tone).

BUT moral of the story is I wasn't hassled. That was about a week and a half ago. We'll see if I gather up the balls to do it again/ on a more common basis. I'm also worried on another note as where I live is right next to a school and I drive through that area to get to all of the local shops.

That's my experience so far and keep on the good work.

(this all went on in the San Gabriel Valley)

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Good job Gentlemen. Though I would recommend listing your vicinity in your thread title somehow, so that if there are interested participants in your area, you can connect and have a 'open carry' lunch or meetup.

5 open carriers in California? Let's hope that interest continues to grow,... I for one would like to add a few zeros on that five.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Good job Gentlemen. Though I would recommend listing your vicinity in your thread title somehow, so that if there are interested participants in your area, you can connect and have a 'open carry' lunch or meetup.

5 open carriers in California? Let's hope that interest continues to grow,... I for one would like to add a few zeros on that five.
I look at it in terms of growth... that's 500% over the last 6 months!

Hellrazor, welcome to the forums. If you do plan to OC more frequently, feel free to make a new thread to post your experiences. I look forward to hearing more.

KBCraig

imported post

CaliforniaCarry wrote:
And, of course, I can't help but realize that this entire dilemma could be solved by moving out of CA. My wife is even starting to give me the impression that she wants to get a concealed carry permit, and would also like to try OC once we're in a more gun-friendly location :lol:
Might I suggest a very friendly place?
http://www.freestateproject.org

CA_Libertarian obviously agrees.