• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interesting Kinda LEO Encounter...

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

So, as some of you may or may not have known, I teach computer science course at night at the local college here in Delaware. So, we're in a VB.NET class and I'm having the students pull their homework from the previous week so I can take a peek at the code. I get around to the last student (looked to be in his 40's) and he slaps in his flash drive... watching him pull up his assignment, I noticed he had a directory called 'Firearms' on his drive...

"Firearms," I said, "What do you do with firearms?"

"I teach," he said.

"NRA classes?"

"Police -- I'm on the job. Newark Police."

"REALLY?" I said, "What's your carry weapon?"

"Sig 228."

"NOICE," I told him and I told him a bit about my Sigma and that I was in the middle of taking the courses for my CCDW license."

So, the class went on and afterwards he was waiting for me.

"Where are you at in the process?"

I explained that I was finishing up my class this Sunday (tomorrow, YAY) and then I had to post the announcement, get fingerprinted, get the five affidavits, etc. He just made an icky face.

"That's so annoying, I'm glad I didn't have to go through it."

I popped the question, "So, you ever heard of open carry?"

"Oh yeah... see it a couple of times?"

"Really?" I asked, rather suprised. "Do you give them a hard time?

"*I* don't," he told me, "but there're some ordinances and we've had some issues... what's concealed... if it's in the holster, etc." One ordinance in particular states that it can't be displayed in a threatening manner which leaves it open to a bit of interpretation to LEO's, I'm sure.

We pretty much concurred that if it's visible in the holster, it's 'open', but then we went on to talk about Blackwater and FrontSight. All in all a very nice chat with the fellow... I hope, if I ever decide to open carry in Newark, it's this guy (or someone like him) that I run into.

yankees98a

imported post

Wynder, what classes do you teach>

I'm assuming you did your training in Dover?

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

I teach Introduction to Programming (C language) and Introduction to Object Oriented Programming (Visual Basic.NET)... And I actually did my training up north a bit with a gun/ammo/safety company called Delfast -- we were at the Brandywine Hundred Rod & Gun Club.