• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travel in Idaho

xmirage2kx

imported post

I will be driving through Idaho in a few weeks and currently have a Utah CCW permit. Is there any place in Idaho that you CAN’T carry (OC and/or CC) with a valid permit? Any other things that may present a problem for me? I will be staying in a hotel in Idaho, and stopping at gas stations, restaurants, rest areas, and maybe a store or two. I know this has beenaddressed before, but there are a lot of topics and I dont have hours to search or decode laws text.

Some questions I can think of:

Does a “no guns” sign at a store carry any legal weight or can it be ignored as in Utah?

Is there a restricted restaurant carry?

Is there a restricted Vehicle carry?

Any other restrictions that may get me in trouble?

All these questions refer to the laws affecting a permit holder.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

devldogs55

imported post

Idaho is the most gun friendly state in the US.. and you won't have many, if any, problems.

Obviously you can be trespassed for any reason from private property - but there is no law requiring you to observe NO GUN postings at businesses.

You may not carry in a courthouse, jail, or any school that is k-12 (carry on college campus is legal).

Any place that you can CCW you may OC or vice versa. Have fun!

LoveMyCountry

State Researcher
imported post

For some unknown reason the state gave the Parks Department the right to prohibit or restrict guns in state parks. I emailed and asked questions - no reply. :X

LoveMyCountry

devldogs55

imported post

You're right.. and I was just lookin up this thread to update my answer as well, hehe.

State Parks are actually off limits to any type of loaded firearm - permit or not. Before I knew this, I open carried all over at least four state parks, and never had any problems even talking to a ranger one time. I guess I got lucky.

folke

imported post

Are you absolutely certain about carry on college campuses? I have a CCL, and I teach at ISU, and believe I should be allowed to carry there.

devldogs55

imported post

I spoke personally with two Sherrifs about this, and actually have an e-mail from my local Sherrif (Latah County) saying that there is no law about it.

Take a look at what the statutes say:

Code:
18-3302C.  PROHIBITED CONDUCT. Any person obtaining a license under the
provisions of section 18-3302, Idaho Code, shall not:
(1)  Carry a concealed weapon in a courthouse, juvenile detention facility
or jail, public or private school, except as provided in subsection (4)(f) of
section 18-3302D, Idaho Code
So far - all public or private schools are off limits - but it says that there are exceptions in section 18-3302D... those exceptions read:

Code:
(e)  "School" means a private or public elementary or secondary school.
So they basically just defined "school" as any k-12 school. A
secondary school is a HIGH SCHOOL. University campuses are "Post-Secondary Schools"

It is legal, but most likely against school policy. I attend the U of Idaho, and CCW
there every day. If an administrator found out - I would surely be expelled.

I don't really understand why public schools are allowed to get around Idaho's preemption laws, but they do. For some reason, when it comes to carrying a firearm on campus, they act as if it were private property, and they can trespass you from the campus.

xmirage2kx

imported post

Thank you for the info. I am not planning on stopping at any schools, but the parks thing is good to know. Sounds like I won’t even run into many nasty looks let alone legal issues.

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate