• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Travel to Oregon

xmirage2kx

imported post

Oregon’s Laws are some of the more confusing laws out there so I have a few questions:

I do NOT have an Oregon CHL permit, so please answer accordingly

Can I OC a loaded handgun? In a vehicle? In a store? Restaurant? etc? (Assuming I am not in one of the banned cities) if not can I OC an Un-Loaded handgun?

How do I carry in a vehicle?

SetivaSicWood

imported post

I'll take a crack at answering your questions; if I am wrong, I am sure some one will correct me.....

A) Oregon is a open carry state (for the most part anyways). Carring a side arm on your hip, in a holster, and plainly visable shouldpose no issues.

B) Aside from the federalrestrictions, schools, fed buildings, court houses ect, you should be able to open carry in most all public places, except in the "banned cities". The ban in essense restricts "loaded hand guns"

B1) Loaded meaning " any rounds in the weapon" period.

C) You should be able to openly carry on private property unless posted. If you are asked to leave for what ever reason; you should simply comply and avoid any issues.

D) In your vehicle (private property) you can carry loaded, but not concealed. Law enforcement should be able to have a "clear line of sight" from first contact. However, if your traveling in a RV and are100+miles from your residence; it becomes your "residence". In which case you can "store" a hand gun concealed. Law enforcement can'tspecificlly "see it" straight way because it's "in" your mobile "residence".

Outside of the greater Portland area, Oregon in general is quite accepting of open carry, I have never had an issue and carry open as often as I can.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
Oregon’s Laws are some of the more confusing laws out there so I have a few questions:

Can I OC a loaded handgun? In a vehicle? In a store? Restaurant? etc? (Assuming I am not in one of the banned cities) if not can I OC an Un-Loaded handgun?

The Oregon page on OpenCarry.org answers most of your your questions - did you read it?

xmirage2kx

imported post

Mike wrote:
xmirage2kx wrote:

The Oregon page on OpenCarry.org answers most of your your questions - did you read it?
The OC website leaves much open to interpretation, and the law seems even worse. I know OC is “legal” in most places, but I don’t see anything really clear about it being loaded or not, and I can’t find a definition of “Public buildings” in my searches.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
The OC website leaves much open to interpretation, and the law seems even worse. I know OC is “legal” in most places, but I don’t see anything really clear about it being loaded or not, and I can’t find a definition of “Public buildings” in my searches.
OpenCarry.org's database refers only to the open cary of loaded handguns.

xmirage2kx

imported post

If I understand properly as long as I am (and always have been) a law abiding legal adult I can Openly[/b] carry a Loaded[/b] handgun in a visible hip holster (or clearly visible in a vehicle) anywhere in Oregon Except a public building as defined in 166.360 and a restricted city without a permit. (Am I correct in assuming malls and such are ok?)

Is there an official place that lists the restricted cities?

Thanks in advance for putting up with my thickheadedness:banghead:

166.360:[/b]

(1) “Capitol building[/b]” means the Capitol[/b], the State Office Building[/b], the State Library Building[/b], the Labor and Industries Building[/b], the State Transportation Building[/b], the Agriculture Building[/b] or the Public Service Building[/b] and includes any new buildings which may be constructed on the same grounds as an addition to the group of buildings listed in this subsection.

(2) “Court facility[/b]” means a courthouse [/b]or that portion of any other building occupied by a circuit court, the Court of Appeals[/b], the Supreme Court[/b] or the Oregon Tax Court[/b] or occupied by personnel related to the operations of those courts, or in which activities related to the operations of those courts take place.

(4) “Public building” means a hospital[/b], a capitol building[/b], a public or private school[/b], as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university[/b], a city hall[/b] or the residence of any state official[/b] elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each[/b] such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied by an agency of the state or a municipal corporation, as defined in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility.

SetivaSicWood

imported post

City of Portland Code 14A.60.010

City of Beaverton Code 5.08.240

City of Salem, Code Section 95.095

City of Tigard Ordinance 7.32.125

City of Oregon City Code 9.24.020

City of Dallas Code 5.104, Specific to City Parks

City of Independence Code 9.24.1, pre-1995 ordinance that affects various public places, that does not exempt CHL holders, go to page 95 of the .pdf file

City of Bend, Code 5.320(1)(l), Specific to City Parks Only

ORS 166.173:

ORS 166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8]

Public Places are Defined as:

ORS161.015(10) “Public place” means a place to which the general public has access and includes, but is not limited to, hallways, lobbies and other parts of apartment houses and hotels not constituting rooms or apartments designed for actual residence, and highways, streets, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds and premises used in connection with public passenger transportation. [1971 c.743 §3; 1973 c.139 §1; 1979 c.656 §3; 1991 c.67 §33; 1993 c.625 §4; 1995 c.651 §5]782 §8]

Note the following:

1) The state of Oregon's legal environment for open carry is similar to Virginia's between 2003 and 2004, when Concealed Handgun Permit holders were exempt from any locally passed open carry bans. I do not expect a repeal of ORS 166.173 in the current political environment.

2) Though cities and counties may pass "loaded firearms" bans in public places, districts do not have this authority. This means that TriMet, Metro, Cherriots (SAMTD) and Tualatin Hills Parks and Recreation District (As an example) do not have the authority to regulate firearms in any way shape or form.

3) I expect Oregon to be much more resistant to open carry training bulletins than Washington State, suprisingly enough.

xmirage2kx

imported post

Thanks for all the links, that really helped. I will be in Hillsboro for the most part,which is not a banned city so I should be ok loaded there. When I go to tigard I will just have tocarry unloaded I guess. Besides stores and mallsandmy hotelI wont be going anywhere besides friends houses. I hope to get my permit while I am there, but until I do I want to make sure I am covered. Please point out if I still have any errors in my thinking. Thanks.