• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A good encounter...

grimstar

imported post

This is how it should be...

Even though this isn't actually an open carry story, PDO is no more, so I'm posting it here.

While traveling on highway 16, (on our way to a weekend getaway at a B and B in Ashe county) I passed through a "license checkpoint" with several state Highway Patrol troopers. They were actually only stopping traffic in one direction and were obviously looking for something specific, as they didn't seem to be paying any attention to most vehicles, but they did have a couple of them pulled over to the side of the road.
As we pulled through and the trooper walked up to the window, I presented my drivers license and CHP, as required by NC law. He only glanced at my drivers license and then waved us on. I'm not even sure he saw my CHP, but if he did, he obviously didn't seem to care. No questions, no comments, total time of encounter, about 30 seconds. The question of the legality of drivers license checkpoints aside, THIS is how encounters should go...

Carry safe, Carry often,

Grimstar

Oh yes, for those that are interested in such details, I was carrying my makarov in a falco shoulder holster, under a custom made "safari/concealed carry" vest...(being a tailor does have its benefits. :celebrate )