• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Different form of Open and carry

kurtmax_0

imported post

"Are they going to go after construction workers and plumbers, because their pants sag, too?"

^^ Heheh

While I think baggy pants are retarded, I don't believe it should be illegal. Seriously.... the whole thing is stupid. My guess is people will still wear baggy pants and there will be too many people to arrest.

Hell, it almost makes me want to buy some baggy pants and run around Atlanta for a week or two...

Kelly J

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
"Are they going to go after construction workers and plumbers, because their pants sag, too?"

^^ Heheh

While I think baggy pants are retarded, I don't believe it should be illegal. Seriously.... the whole thing is stupid. My guess is people will still wear baggy pants and there will be too many people to arrest.

Hell, it almost makes me want to buy some baggy pants and run around Atlanta for a week or two...

Every generation has it's own statement that they tend to make, but I have witnessed so many cases of indecent exposure, that it has become more than a statement of fashion, it is simply indecent exposure, and the law des arrest flashers and people that do pratice the indecent exposure issue, so why not this as well.

I don't know if I would go so far as Jail, but public service would be ok.

hogleg

imported post

Hey, whilethose politosare at it, I would like a law that says if you are over 300 pounds you cannot wear spandex anda tube top that only covers 2 of your 9 flab rolls.

Especially in the Mall where my wife drags me totally unprotected in that no gun zone. Bad enough my rights are assaulted but do my eyes need to be subjected to that as well....

:what:

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Indecent exposure? That's fine, I wont argue that. Saggy pants? Well I have two opinions on that. First of all, the woman said that it's basically a form of racial profiling. I agree. Certain races are profiling themselves by dressing in a matter that is different from everyone else, yet at the same time they wanted to be treated like everyone else...mm hmm, that makes sense.

With that being said, I'm out of the military and no longer will I have people telling what I can wear and how I can dress. Any law restricting any kind of clothing (indecent exposure aside) is absolutely ridiculous.

Kelly J

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Indecent exposure? That's fine, I wont argue that. Saggy pants? Well I have two opinions on that. First of all, the woman said that it's basically a form of racial profiling. I agree. Certain races are profiling themselves by dressing in a matter that is different from everyone else, yet at the same time they wanted to be treated like everyone else...mm hmm, that makes sense.

With that being said, I'm out of the military and no longer will I have people telling what I can wear and how I can dress. Any law restricting any kind of clothing (indecent exposure aside) is absolutely ridiculous.

People like this always crack me up, back during the Flower child days, the Hippies, the yuppies, and the what ever you want to call them,every one was dressing just the way they wanted to, and all said we are different, and it is our way of making a statement to be different.

The problem is that every one wants to make the same statement and they all look alike, now where is the individualism in that?

PT111

imported post

I want them wearing the baggypants, ever seen one try to run while holding his pants up. No way to do that and carry his gun.:p

mzbk2l

imported post

Kelly J wrote:
People like this always crack me up, back during the Flower child days, the Hippies, the yuppies, and the what ever you want to call them,every one was dressing just the way they wanted to, and all said we are different, and it is our way of making a statement to be different.

The problem is that every one wants to make the same statement and they all look alike, now where is the individualism in that?

Ha! Sounds like you're talking about harley riders now. :D

I think we should ban them.....

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Kelly J wrote:
...it is simply indecent exposure, and the law des arrest flashers and people that do pratice the indecent exposure issue, so why not this as well.

I don't know if I would go so far as Jail, but public service would be ok.

It's interesting, really interesting how a forum filled with guys soooooo committed to the constitution....sooooooooooooo committed to individual rights.....soooooooooooo committed to preventing and discouraging undue and unneeded governmental regulation.......and we have some who favor enactment of a rule on baggy pants!

And some who even favor consideration of jail time!

The big H rears its ugly head--again. :uhoh:

dkd

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Certain races are profiling themselves by dressing in a matter that is different from everyone else, yet at the same time they wanted to be treated like everyone else...mm hmm, that makes sense.
how does dressing different equal "profiling themselves" individuals have the right to dress how they feel, this is supposed to be a free society....i dont care if you wear a clown suit everyday you should still be treated the same as everyone else...somewouldsay just because you choose to open carry your gun you should be treated different and expected to be stopped everytime a LEO sees you....your logic is severely flawed

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

dkd wrote:
DreQo wrote:
Certain races are profiling themselves by dressing in a matter that is different from everyone else, yet at the same time they wanted to be treated like everyone else...mm hmm, that makes sense.
how does dressing different equal "profiling themselves" individuals have the right to dress how they feel, this is supposed to be a free society....i dont care if you wear a clown suit everyday you should still be treated the same as everyone else...somewouldsay just because you choose to open carry your gun you should be treated different and expected to be stopped every time a LEO sees you....your logic is severely flawed

I appreciate you questioning my statement so that we may further discuss the topic, but attempting to insult my logic is, at best, childish. The examples you just gave are not relative to one another. Let me try to explain my point of view....

Legally carrying should not be a reason for a person to be treated differently. Lets pretend, however, that there was a group of "open carriers" that went aroundmurdering people, and they looked exactly like anyone else open carrying, except that they wore red top hats. Now, after a while, it becomes common knowledge that if you see someone with a gun and a red top hat, then he's most likely going to murder someone.

Now lets say you go out one day, with your gun, and decide that a red top hat would go very well with the jeans you're wearing. You know you're not a murderous person, and you don't know anyone who is. What kind of reaction do you think you're gonna get from the sheeple? From LEOs? Could the combination of a sidearm and red top hat be enough, by itself, to warrant detention for questioning? It probably shouldn't be, but it would probably happen. So now you're gonna go complain to the court and the PD that you were unconstitutionally detained based only on the facts that you had a gun, and were wearing a red top hat...and you're probably going to be told that if you don't want that to happen, then don't wear a red top hat while you're carrying!!

There is statistical evidence that shows that an overwhelming majority of black males that commit crimes do so while dressed in the stereotypical ghetto black manner. You almost never see a black male wearing properly fitting jeans and a nice polo breaking the law. Yet these guys still run around wearing clothing that is neither practical nor attractive, and furthermore puts them into a stereotypical group that they don't want to be associated with!

I do not believe there should be any laws restricting ones choice of clothing, but I don't see anything wrong with noticing patterns in behavior and acting on them (i.e. questioning every person you see with a gun and a red top hat).

dkd

imported post

DreQo wrote:
dkd wrote:
DreQo wrote:
how does dressing different equal "profiling themselves" individuals have the right to dress how they feel, this is supposed to be a free society....i dont care if you wear a clown suit everyday you should still be treated the same as everyone else...somewouldsay just because you choose to open carry your gun you should be treated different and expected to be stopped every time a LEO sees you....your logic is severely flawed
There is statistical evidence that shows that an overwhelming majority of black males that commit crimes do so while dressed in the stereotypical ghetto black manner. You almost never see a black male wearing properly fitting jeans and a nice polo breaking the law. Yet these guys still run around wearing clothing that is neither practical nor attractive, and furthermore puts them into a stereotypical group that they don't want to be associated with!

I do not believe there should be any laws restricting ones choice of clothing, but I don't see anything wrong with noticing patterns in behavior and acting on them (i.e. questioning every person you see with a gun and a red top hat).

so there is statistical evidence on how people are dressed while commiting crimes?...i would love to see these stats...how many people black,white hispanic or other do you see commiting crimes in polo shirts?...what you are doing is making generalizations which leads to profiling a tactic often used by police on young black males
i can attest to this because i am black, look rather young but if you saw me outside of work you would automatically assume i was a "gangbanger" if i had on jeans thatyou would consider ill fitting or didnt have a polo on...but you couldnt be further from the truth because i am a college grad and have a clean record and a good job, but because i dont fit into your mold of how a criminal doesnt dress you would automatically assume i was a BG because i was dressed inwhat you consider"stereotypical ghetto black manner"

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

so there is statistical evidence on how people are dressed while commiting crimes?...
yes, the information is gathered whenever they record a description of the person in question...
what you are doing is making generalizations which leads to profiling a tactic often used by police on young black males
I agree, but there are already set patterns that show that these generalizations are, in general, legitimate. There are ways that white guys dress that throw a red flag up, as well. The clothes you wear say something about you, period. There is no way around it. It is a form of communication. The minute people set eyes on you, they start forming an opinion in their mind of who you are. It is unavoidable. It is human. When someone see's that 8 of out 10 people that dress a certain way, act the same way, then they've noticed a pattern. They can now logically deduce that 80% of the people the meet dressed in that manner are going to act the same way. Now, if the person is intelligent, they will be constantly looking for new patterns, but when the pattern exists, then it exists!
i can attest to this because i am black, look rather young but if you saw me outside of work you would automatically assume i was a "gangbanger" if i had on jeans thatyou would consider ill fitting or didnt have a polo on...but you couldnt be further from the truth because i am a college grad and have a clean record and a good job, but because i dont fit into your mold of how a criminal doesnt dress you would automatically assume i was a BG because i was dressed in a "stereotypical ghetto black manner
Keep in mind that black males were used as an example because that is what the original topic referred to. Any group of people can be used as an example in this case. If I, beingwhite,didn't shave for a couple of days and threw on a beater and torn jeans and wandered out to the children's soccer field to watch the kids play, I guarantee I'd get some negative attention around here. I might even be approached by a LEO after some concerned mother called. At that point I could explain that I was simply there to watch my g/f's son play soccer. If I did the same thing wearing what I normally do (khaki shorts and a clean t-shirt, for instance) I probably wouldn't be questioned.

With all of that said, I would personally question the intelligence and decision making abilities of any person who wear pants that were literally too big to stay on by themselves. There is no practical application for that type of clothing, so the purpose of wearing them MUST BE to communicate something....

dkd

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Keep in mind that black males were used as an example because that is what the original topic referred to. Any group of people can be used as an example in this case. If I, beingwhite,didn't shave for a couple of days and threw on a beater and torn jeans and wandered out to the children's soccer field to watch the kids play, I guarantee I'd get some negative attention around here. I might even be approached by a LEO after some concerned mother called. At that point I could explain that I was simply there to watch my g/f's son play soccer. If I did the same thing wearing what I normally do (khaki shorts and a clean t-shirt, for instance) I probably wouldn't be questioned.

With all of that said, I would personally question the intelligence and decision making abilities of any person who wear pants that were literally too big to stay on by themselves. There is no practical application for that type of clothing, so the purpose of wearing them MUST BE to communicate something....
but we arent talking about showing up at a soccer game dressed a little weird either. this is policing fashion(that is really not in style anymore) for people that are walking down the street, which i believe would leave people open to more harrassment, in my youthisometimes did dress in oversized clothes but it didnt make any different a person and definitely didnt need policing, which i why i would have a problem with this, the last thing we need is the govt telling us how we should and shouldnt dress

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

but we arent talking about showing up at a soccer game dressed a little weird either. this is policing fashion(that is really not in style anymore) for people that are walking down the street, which i believe would leave people open to more harrassment, in my youthisometimes did dress in oversized clothes but it didnt make any different a person and definitely didnt need policing, which i why i would have a problem with this, the last thing we need is the govt telling us how we should and shouldnt dress
I agree, and will again state that I would not support any decision to regulate what people choose to wear. The thought of that is absolutely ridiculous, and IF any laws like that are ever passed, I will be going to that area and dressing in the "inappropriate" manner for the sole purpose of making a point....and I bet when someone saw me doing that, they'd be able to figure out what point I was making without ever talking to me.....

dkd

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I agree, and will again state that I would not support any decision to regulate what people choose to wear. The thought of that is absolutely ridiculous, and IF any laws like that are ever passed, I will be going to that area and dressing in the "inappropriate" manner for the sole purpose of making a point....and I bet when someone saw me doing that, they'd be able to figure out what point I was making without ever talking to me.....
i feel the same way and often wonder if danbus would've had the police called on him had he been dressed in khakis and a nice shirt as opposed to all black t-shirt and jeans

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

i feel the same way and often wonder if danbus would've had the police called on him had he been dressed in khakis and a nice shirt as opposed to all black t-shirt and jeans
I'd be willing to bet that his outfit effected the situation. I'd also bet that his skin color effected the situation. We already know that his gun effected the situation. Should ANY of these things have been factors? Morally, legally, and constitutionally speaking, no. The problem is, there are some people that grow up and literally NEVER meet a black person that wasn't rude, racist, poorly spoken, and poorly dressed. This person then becomes an adult, and since they've never met anyone to prove contrary, they believe that all black people are like that. Then they meet a black person who is intelligent, well spoken, and well dressed, and they might think "oh, well he's smart and looks good, so it's only the dumb poorly dressed ones I have to watch out for". They're not being maliciously prejudice towards anyone, they're just calling things how they see them.

I've been around most of this country and part of Europe, so I've met a LOT of people. I've learned that there are exceptions to every pattern and stereotype, and, morally speaking, one should always assume that the person in front of them is the exception. The problem is logic says otherwise...