• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Different form of Open and carry

tattedupboy

imported post

In case anyone forgot, the 8th Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits cruel and unusual punishment. I don't know about any of you, but whether you like saggy pants or not, a six-month jail sentence for sagging pants seems to me to be a bit excessive. I believe that a fine (maximum $100)is sufficient for an offense of this nature.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

My, oh, my. What happened to the Libertarians on this forum?

You can never find on of those guys when you need him.... :p

tattedupboy

imported post

DreQo wrote:
There is no practical application for that type of clothing, so the purpose of wearing them MUST BE to communicate something....

If that's the case, then maybe we should only allow people to exercise RKBA only when there is a practical reason for them to do so ( after all, it is already done in may issue states such as the PRNJ, PRNY, and some parts of PRMA). After all, don't the gestapo in those states assume that the only reason anyone would ever want to carry a gun is to communicate something? Furthermore,your logic for supporting a ban on sagging pantssuggests that if people are only allowed to do things based on what their practical application is, then it would be okay to onlyban speech that has has no practical application.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I believe that a fine (maximum $100)is sufficient for an offense of this nature.
Short of indecent exposure, how are baggy pants an offense? Perhaps we should outlaw hijabs while we're at it, since a woman covering her face might very well be attempting to conceal her identity while comitting a crime. Now granted baggy pants aren't religiously connected as hijabs are, but they are both harmless pieces of clothing....

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
DreQo wrote:
There is no practical application for that type of clothing, so the purpose of wearing them MUST BE to communicate something....

If that's the case, then maybe we should only allow people to exercise RKBA only when there is a practical reason for them to do so ( after all, it is already done in may issue states such as the PRNJ, PRNY, and some parts of PRMA). After all, don't the gestapo in those states assume that the only reason anyone would ever want to carry a gun is to communicate something? Furthermore,your logic for supporting a ban on sagging pantssuggests that if people are only allowed to do things based on what their practical application is, then it would be okay to onlyban speech that has has no practical application.

lol You must not be reading everything on this thread. I don't, under any circumstances, support a ban on any sort of clothing...quite the contrary in fact. I do, however, believe that people complaining (as in the article) that such a ban would be considered racial profiling is silly. Why? You can not take off your skin color, so judging someone on that IS wrong, period. You can, however, put on any clothing that you wish, so if one type of clothing is giving people a bad impression, then it might be a good idea to wear something else. You don't HAVE to, and there shouldn't be a law requiring you to, but you can't say that the people getting the bad impressions are wrong, either.

I do believe that you should only be allowed to keep and bear arms when it is practical. To do so impractically would be pointless. I also believe, however, that it is ALWAYS practical to have a way to defend yourself, your family, your neighbors, and your country...so your point is lost to me.

DreQo wrote:
With that being said, I'm out of the military and no longer will I have people telling what I can wear and how I can dress. Any law restricting any kind of clothing (indecent exposure aside) is absolutely ridiculous.
I do not believe there should be any laws restricting ones choice of clothing
I agree, and will again state that I would not support any decision to regulate what people choose to wear. The thought of that is absolutely ridiculous, and IF any laws like that are ever passed, I will be going to that area and dressing in the "inappropriate" manner for the sole purpose of making a point....
Short of indecent exposure, how are baggy pants an offense? Perhaps we should outlaw hijabs while we're at it, since a woman covering her face might very well be attempting to conceal her identity while comitting a crime. Now granted baggy pants aren't religiously connected as hijabs are, but they are both harmless pieces of clothing....

imperialism2024

imported post

HankT wrote:
Kelly J wrote:
...it is simply indecent exposure, and the law des arrest flashers and people that do pratice the indecent exposure issue, so why not this as well.

I don't know if I would go so far as Jail, but public service would be ok.

It's interesting, really interesting how a forum filled with guys soooooo committed to the constitution....sooooooooooooo committed to individual rights.....soooooooooooo committed to preventing and discouraging undue and unneeded governmental regulation.......and we have some who favor enactment of a rule on baggy pants!

And some who even favor consideration of jail time!

The big H rears its ugly head--again. :uhoh:
I can't believe I'm finding myself agreeing with HankT :banghead:

Then again, I'd say that a large number of posters on here are the typical conservative Republican- The government is allowed to control their morality (since everyone in the country is a God-fearing Christian), but the government can't control their economic choices and their right to bear arms. Not picking Republicans out exclusively, as the typical Democrat is also lost on me. It took me a while to fall out of the thinking of the two-party system, and to realize that it really doesn't make much sense to support government regulation on only select, arbitrary issues; it makes much sense and is much more logical to either support total government regulation or as little government regulation as is permissible to retain a government, or varying degrees of regulation but across all issues. It seems contradictory to me to be a die-hard supporter of letting people carry firearms, but then a die-hard supporter of letting the government legislate how people are allowed to display their bodies. It pisses me off whenever I talk, as a libertarian, about legalizing drugs and allowing unrestricted homosexual marriage, and I get pegged as an extreme Democrat. Bah.

Anyhow...

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

It seems contradictory to me to be a die-hard supporter of letting people carry firearms, but then a die-hard supporter of letting the government legislate how people are allowed to display their bodies. It pisses me off whenever I talk, as a libertarian, about legalizing drugs and allowing unrestricted homosexual marriage, and I get pegged as an extreme Democrat. Bah.
It IS contradictory, you're right. I grew up in a "democratic" family. My father, being an electrician, believes that the democratic point of view (if there is such a singular thing) best supports himself and his family. I agree with him on a lot of issues regarding labor and such. It wasn't until I started researching carrying, and my RKBA, that I realized that it's just not as simple as voting right or left. I was raised to think that republicans were all childless, money hording, selfish individuals that cared for nothing and no one but themselves. Now, on this forum, I hear all the time that democrats are no more than tree-hugging, hoplophobic, ass-kissing liberals who understand nothing of the constitution and want to be babied and controlled by their government.

I am neither one of these things, so, at the rather young age of 22, I'm completely lost as far as who to support and where I fit in...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

DreQo wrote:
I am neither one of these things, so, at the rather young age of 22, I'm completely lost as far as who to support...

That's simple. The ones with the best ideas. The ones with the most ability to make real sense in a complicated world. The ones with the most integrity.

Could be a Dem. Could be a Repub. Could be a Libertarian. An Independent...a MMMer...

Reward good ideas, real sense and integrity. Punish bad ideas, subterfuge and duplicity.

The best ideas win out over time anyway, why not jump on them right away?

Legba

imported post

DreQo - It doesn't sound like you're "lost" at all. The world is more complicated than the standard one-dimensional right vs. left political pigeonholing. My political backgroundsounds similar to yours - militant pro-labor lefty upbringing, and pro-gun rights at the same time. Just remember that the only "wasted" vote is one against your conscience. As for me, I vote for individuals, not parties.

-ljp