• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Today is an important day in history

expvideo

imported post

Today the constitution of the United States turns 220 years old! I suggest we all find some way to celebrate that fact. I personally am going to go buy ammo.

Please let us know how you plan to celebrate freedom and liberty today.

Cue-Ball

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
I attended a presentation by Dr. Lott today. He gave a lecture on "More Guns, Less Crime" at Seattle University school of Law today. He is a well respected author on economics and gun rights. :lol:

Link to Amazon with his books
Dammit! I wish I had known about that. I would have taken the day off work to hear him speak (assuming it was open to the public).

joshmmm

imported post

Cue-Ball wrote:
joshmmm wrote:
I attended a presentation by Dr. Lott today. He gave a lecture on "More Guns, Less Crime" at Seattle University school of Law today. He is a well respected author on economics and gun rights. :lol:

Link to Amazon with his books
Dammit! I wish I had known about that. I would have taken the day off work to hear him speak (assuming it was open to the public).

I enjoyed the presentation but honestly wasn't terribly impressed. It was only an hour long with about 20 attendees... I am sure you could have come if you wanted but it was definately not advertised openly.

His presentation and his research seems to have a lot of facts and numbers--all of which are very helpful. He has done a TON of research on the media and how/why they portray violent gun uses versus self defense. He is VERY knowledgeable in this area. He also has a lot of very interesting points economically about the cost of gun control (in lives and dollars.)

However, he seems to care more about policy than law. He believes that the policeman in the Utah Trolley Station mall could have been charged with violating a law by carrying in the mall (he isn't quite sure on that, buthe certainlybelieves that a regular citizen could be.) He also thinks that any mall, like Southcenter, can sue an individual for violating their signs. Of course if your carrying of a gun somehow does harm them this could be true--but unless you can prove harm you have no basis for a civil suit. He also thinks the police could arrest those of us who have carried there--whether we would win in the end or not--he thinks arrest is likely if discovered.

So, my assessment in the end is that he is a great source of knowledge for philosophical debates about the pros and cons of gun control but is not exactly well versed on carry laws and intricacies therein. Overall, a good use of an hour but I certainly wouldn't recommend skipping work for a whole day...