• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC and my first post

kerchaulk

imported post

I am new fairly new to the forum and this is my first post.

I have recently started to OC going to and from work and my company does not allow weapons of any kind inside the buildings. My question is if I leave my loaded gun under the seat or in the glovebox is it considered "concealed" if I am not in the car? When I get to work I have been locking it in a case and putting it in the cargo area of my suv. This can be a pain, because I can be in and out of the office several times a day.

Like I said I am new to all of this and this is a question I wanted to ask. I would appreciate any help or input.

also please excuse any laps in grammar or typo's, I am doing this on company time ;)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

kerchaulk wrote:

I have recently started to OC going to and from work and my company does not allow weapons of any kind inside the buildings. My question is if I leave my loaded gun under the seat or in the glovebox is it considered "concealed" if I am not in the car? When I get to work I have been locking it in a case and putting it in the cargo area of my suv. This can be a pain, because I can be in and out of the office several times a day.

Like I said I am new to all of this and this is a question I wanted to ask. I would appreciate any help or input.

also please excuse any laps in grammar or typo's, I am doing this on company time ;)

If you don't have permit DON'T have it Loaded at all ( see State Law concerning Your State. You just don't want a Cop to find the Firearm Loaded IF State Law does NOT support it).

If and when you leave a vehicle and you are not present you have to or rather should put it in a secured location, usually, other than glove box or console.

In the the trunk usually works. I have a lock box in the trunk mounted to the vehicle.

It would be unfortunate if a Person stole your gun and it was used in other means than Legal.

Good Luck

Eeyore

imported post

The potential downside to putting it under your seat, if you don't have a CHP, is if you ever forget to holster it after you get back in the SUV. Now you're driving around with a concealed weapon.:shock: This is (I believe) perfectly legal in VA if you have a CHP, so if you don't already have a CHP, get one. Then you don't have to worry about it for the most part.

I think they also make handgun safes for vehicles--that might be something to consider as well.

My Taurus has an internal lock. I've often wondered if locking the weapon itself is a legal alternative to placing it in a locked case. Even if it doesn't comply with the letter of the law, it ought to indicate good intent.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I believe if it out of reach when you in the drivers seat , such as in the rear cargo area you would probably be fine. At least thats the way it's been explained to me.

kerchaulk

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
kerchaulk wrote:

I looked all through the Virginia codes regarding firearms and could find no restrictions as to storage of firearms in vehicles. I would say, you would be just fine. There is nothing wrong with storing the gun in your vehicle out of sight that I could find. You would not be guilty of a concealed weapon violation because you would not be carrying the weapon, it would be stored, as long as no one was in the vehicle.

In the event your car and/or gun is stolen, I would say that you could not be found guilty of any kind of negligence if the gun was concealed inside the vehicle. If you left it out in view, maybe, you could be negligent, I don't know, for something like enticing the criminal, IE: they can see the gun so they break into your car for the specific reason of stealing the gun to commit a crime. But under the seat - I would say not a chance.

Some states do have laws regarding weapons stored in vehicles - they might specify it has to be unloaded or hidden from view, but I couldn't find it in Virginia statutes. Oklahoma, for instance, specifically ALLOWS storage of weapons in vehicles, even on the private property of establishments which do not allow firearms in the building.

AND WELCOME!

Thank you,

I Haven't read anything against it so far. I just wanted to be sure in the future it wasn't a problem. I need to take the time to go get my CHP/CCW and then I won't have to worry about it.