• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in a vehicle

FogRider

imported post

When I carry in my truck, my gun is mostly hidden between me and the center console. Would this be considered concealed? I ask because making sure my shirt is over it is a pain and makes it difficult to draw, but I drive through Denver to work so I have to conceal. I don't want to get pulled over in Denver and be told I am not concealing even though my gun is all but impossible to see outside of my truck.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, so if I read that right, you want to make sure that it IS concealed? No matter what you're trying to do with it, it really doesn't matter while you're driving down the road (this is advice that I received from, believe it or not, a State Trooper). The location of the gun really only matters when someone approaches your vehicle, most likely when you've been pulled over.

The gun being (I'm assuming) holstered on your right side, between yourself and the center console, would be considered concealed as far as I know. If you're at all concerned, you could always make sure your shirt was pulled overthe gunif/when you get pulled over.

natehunts

imported post

I've wondered about that same thing. If i'm carrying openly while driving, and i'm approached by an officer, he will not be able to see my gun on my right side. So i've wondered if that is in fact not in plain view. I imagine with a center console that would further conceal it.

FogRider

imported post

DreQo wrote:
Ok, so if I read that right, you want to make sure that it IS concealed? No matter what you're trying to do with it, it really doesn't matter while you're driving down the road (this is advice that I received from, believe it or not, a State Trooper). The location of the gun really only matters when someone approaches your vehicle, most likely when you've been pulled over.

The gun being (I'm assuming) holstered on your right side, between yourself and the center console, would be considered concealed as far as I know. If you're at all concerned, you could always make sure your shirt was pulled overthe gunif/when you get pulled over.
That's exactly right. I HAVE to conceal in Denver, but I don't want to tuck my shirt over my gun for the aforementioned reason. I know the console hides it, but without the shirt I am not sure the intent to conceal is there. It would be like standing next to a wall, you are not trying to conceal, but no-one can see your gun. For some reason it never occurred to me to just tuck my shirt over it if I get pulled over. Cognitive flatulence I s'pose.

Leader

imported post

No problem in Michigan. If it is in a vehicle, it is concealed. It could be laying on the dashboard & it would still be concealed. You MUST have a CPL to have a handgun not in a locked case in a vehicle here.