Thread: Catch 22 on Defending yourself

, South Carolina, USA

Post imported post

SC is a Castle Doctrine state but the city I live in has a law prohibiting thedischarge of a gun, bow and arrow or sling shotinside the city limits. From what I can tell there are no exceptions to this and I haven't found where police are even exempt. Ifa druggie with a gun breaks into my house at 2:00 am according to state law I can shoot them but then I can be charged by the city for discharging a firearm inside the city limits. What am I supposed to do, throw the bullet at them? Inquiring minds want to know.

Invisible Mode

Post imported post

I think those local ordinances prohibiting firearm discharges often have an exception for personal defense. Petition them to change it if they "forgot" it.

If it's a misdemeanor, I wouldn't worry about it much. But I'd still try to get it changed--there is no logical basis not to make the exception.

As far as a Catch 22, I think no one would ever prohibit you from defending your home/family because of the poorly written ordinance. If everything is as you say it is, it's obvious the city goofed.

Good luck.

P.S. BTW, does your castle doctrine law provide for immunity from prosecution for using deadly force within the limitations of the statute?