• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Teacher suing for the right to carry in school

thnycav

imported post

In the VT case therewas court ordered treatment. I did read the State report. Granted he could have gotten the gun some other way but this would have prevented him getting the gun the way he did. Yes him not getting the gun would have PREVENTED it. The gun ban or lifting it would not have prevented him form killing anyone.

kurtmax_0

imported post

However, it's not just guns. Many things can be restricted if you voluntarily seek mental treatment. Like pilots licenses, or other types of licenses.

It actually makes it less safe, because people that recognize they need mental help will refuse to seek treatment because of the consequences to their hobbies or jobs.

I think that mental health should be completely decoupled from licensing and 'rights'. Then nobody would have an excuse not to seek treatment...

thnycav

imported post

The only time that this would be an issue is if they pose a threat to themselves and more importantly others. I do not think anyone who does seek help from time to time is a threat. There is a misconception with this in the Army where some that do have minor problems that do need some help do not go and fear losing clearances.

thnycav

imported post

The point was stated that the Gun ban was the cause of it. If the system didnot fail like it did he would not have had the weapons. Yes if there was no gun ban he could have been stoped but not prevented. Now think he would have had the right to carry it to class with him as well.

imperialism2024

imported post

thnycav wrote:
The point was stated that the Gun ban was the cause of it. If the system didnot fail like it did he would not have had the weapons. Yes if there was no gun ban he could have been stoped but not prevented. Now think he would have had the right to carry it to class with him as well.

:banghead:

dng

State Researcher
imported post

blowup.gif

Sometimes I just can't take it...

FightingGlock19

imported post

thnycav wrote:

I would have stopped it if I'd have been there in my Superman cape ....eerrr ...I mean ...had my 1911 in a shoddy holster for the whole world to see.

I've read the replies here and that's what I walk away with.

There are more times a situation is diffused WITHOUT drawing a weapon. What have I read in this thread, and other sections of the board makes me think this community has more than a handful of keyboard rambos. Most of the folks might be good to go, but I'd be more worried about the loudest section of the forums shooting *me* in the back before they actually hit the shitbag that killed 30-some student.

The system failed and as a result several people were killed that day.

Oh, the shitbag still could have illegaly gotten a firearm, but if the system did its job, he'd have been in a hospitol. How would he have been able to purchase the firearm then?

I believe students with concealed carry permits should be allowed to carry on school campus, only after having show proficency above the state level to recieve a CCDW, or a certificate of training from an accredited class (ie: SWAT training, force on force, etc). If I had to trust *my* life to those that were in my CCDW class & my wife's CCDW class, we'd be in a world of ******* hurt. It only takes a few morons to ruin it for the rest of us that are good to go.

The answer to every confrentation is *not* always a ******* gun. A gun is a tool you use to fight. The tool you use to fight is the LAST option.

Kelly J

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Sadly, America will probably having to suffer through several Beslan style school attacks before teachers will be legally allowed to carry. And I am sure people will be asking "why didn't were arm teachers believe and safe all those children's lives" but the truth is that America has become mostly reactive rather than proactive. It took 9-11 for us to get "serious" about fighting terrorism (there is still more we should be doing), and we will probably have to take another cowardly terrorist attack before things change in school security for the good.

I don't want to seem negative here, but in reality the 9-11 terrorist attack has come and gone, and people have for the most part already forgotten about it, the shooting at a Texas, Campus years ago, isbut a distant memory, the School Yard Shootings in a Stockton California, School is very seldom mentioned, if at all, the Columbine Shootings are mentioned once in a while, as are the Kentucky School Shootings, and most recently the two Shootings on the East Coast, And the one just less than a week ago, so my point is this, when will somebody say enough is enough, and stop allowing Gun Free Zones, (Student Killing Zones in Reality) to continue unabated.

There are several more School shootings, that I know are there, but I don't remember them all. It would be interesting to see an actual list of all the School Shootings across the Country, and the number of Kids Killed, Wounded, and simply scared for life mentally, as a result of it.

It is long past time to reconsider our thinking on these unarmed killing grounds, and make some responsible changes that will allow Licensed, CCW holders, to carry on School Grounds, even on the Grounds of Grade Schools, to prevent Kidnappings, Molestations, and the like.

We are in for a reality check, and it isn’t going to be easy, or to the liking of a lot of Parents, but weigh the Guns on School Grounds, against A funeral of your Child, and see which one makes more since.

Simply put, GunFree Zones, are no protection for anyone, especially our Kids. We as Parents need to demand that these killing Zones are Stoped and reasonable protections are put in place! And I am not talking about any SecurityGuards, I have never liked Rent-a-Copsfor protection, it is sort of like signs they don't work eigther.

imperialism2024

imported post

Kelly J, there are two points I would bring up. The first is that the number of students killed in school shootings every year is very low... maybe in the 20s or 30s on average. So while the events evoke a lot of emotional response, they don't lend themselves to lengthy, thoughtful policy-making that leads to good laws. Only the knee-jerk reactions that lead to bad laws.

The second is that while I am not opposed to your suggestion to let CCW licensees carry on campuses, I'd like to go further. Currently, most states will give out CCWs, if at all, at age 21 or older. That's going to severely limit those who can carry. It also lends itself to states arbitrarily upping the requirements to get a CCW. Already, the "safety" classes that some states require will set a student back $100 or more, coupled to the $300 minimum for a decent handgun that he will only be able to purchase upon turning 21 (in most states)... from personal experience, I can tell you that college students aren't rich. The gist of what I'm saying is that unlicensed open carry needs to be the policy. Sure, one person could accidentally shoot someone else... but that same person could also accidentally run over someone in a car. Or yell "Fire!" in a crowded theatre.

And isn't it already legal for CCW licensees to carry on the grounds of all schools? It would fall under the "lawful purposes" provision, no?

Kelly J

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Kelly J, there are two points I would bring up. The first is that the number of students killed in school shootings every year is very low... maybe in the 20s or 30s on average. So while the events evoke a lot of emotional response, they don't lend themselves to lengthy, thoughtful policy-making that leads to good laws. Only the knee-jerk reactions that lead to bad laws.

The second is that while I am not opposed to your suggestion to let CCW licensees carry on campuses, I'd like to go further. Currently, most states will give out CCWs, if at all, at age 21 or older. That's going to severely limit those who can carry. It also lends itself to states arbitrarily upping the requirements to get a CCW. Already, the "safety" classes that some states require will set a student back $100 or more, coupled to the $300 minimum for a decent handgun that he will only be able to purchase upon turning 21 (in most states)... from personal experience, I can tell you that college students aren't rich. The gist of what I'm saying is that unlicensed open carry needs to be the policy. Sure, one person could accidentally shoot someone else... but that same person could also accidentally run over someone in a car. Or yell "Fire!" in a crowded theatre.And isn't it already legal for CCW licensees to carry on the grounds of all schools? It would fall under the "lawful purposes" provision, no?
In response to your first comment, it is true that large numbers of students are not on the slabs in the morgues of our country, and knee jerk reactions to these shooting, and other like events, are the result of a vast majority of bad laws, already on the books, but I don't think, that in this case we would have to make any new laws, only allow the ones in place, to be removed to allow reasonable protections, to be allowed to happen, for the protection of the whole, and if it would save one students life it would be worth it, in my opinion.

Point two, granted there will be a limited number of CCW holders on any given campus, but I am not talking students in all of these cases, but the adult Faculty in the Schools, that could have a ccw, in the case of the VT Shootings, there were already CCW Holders that were denied, by the School to carry on Campus, so that I think that situation needs to be addressed to simply allow the carrying of Concealed Weapons by current holders of permits, on the campus grounds, so it is not like we are suggesting that every student be armed, but the few who are already by choice, would be able to respond to a crisis situation, and as to additional requirements to acquire a CCW for the purpose of carrying on campus, I fail to see any distinction between a campus, a home, or for that matter, the street, the right to protect oneself would apply no mater where we might be if the States would adopt the Florida Castle Doctrine Policy, so that would not be a factor, as this situation would not be like, for instance, aboard an airliner where special training would be required, to fit the dangerous climate of an airborne aircraft. In this type of environment, I would suggest that open carry would not be a best case situation, not that I am opposed to open carry. And yes, there is always the chance for an accident to happen, and it is not impossiblethat a wrongful use of a weapon might happen, but that is no more a risk in a school, than in an apartment complex or ones private home.

This whole thing, is such a different case, that it will be a hard sell no matter what, because of the fact that the Gun, has been portrayed as a villain, the killer of people, especially Children, which is as we all know, not a reality but it is yet there as a barrier to reasonable, and just protections in, on, and around our schools, businesses, and work places, so it isn't just our Schools that are at risk, and common since will need to be applied for real personal protections to take place, no matter where we are in our daily lives. It is a shame but an awful fact that we are no longer safe in our daily endeavors. Thank you for your thoughtful response! Kelly J

Bolt06

imported post

As far as the teacher actually packing to school. the principle could have just gone to the range with her one day or just looked at her weapons class credentials. I like the idea.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

This teacher will be on the Glenn Beck program this morning. Be sure to listen if you can; this should be interesting to see what kind of person she is.

Kelly J

imported post

dngreer wrote:
This teacher will be on the Glenn Beck program this morning. Be sure to listen if you can; this should be interesting to see what kind of person she is.

You stated that she would be on the Glenn Beck Show, that's great.

Who is Glenn Beck and what channel is he on, in what area, and is it a national broadcast?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

Kelly J wrote:
Who is Glenn Beck and what channel is he on, in what area, and is it a national broadcast?

A conservative talk show host who I prefer over Hannity or Limbaugh. He is a straight shooter, and is all about what is good for American, not the Democrats or Republicans. He is nationally syndicated, and is also on XM radio channel 165. The show is on 9-12am eastern time. He also has a show on CNN Headline News at 7,9,12 every night. He is a very good guy, and he gets what is going on in the world and our country. Check out http://www.glennbeck.com. Ok, enough of the advertising. :D

And by the way, the teacher never was on the show. Maybe she'll be on the TV show tonight, or maybe she just cancelled. Who knows, Glenn didn't say anything.

AbNo

imported post

Glenn Beck: Conservative talkshow host known to mix humour with his political discussion.

Most Clear Channel (gag) talk radio stations.

In most areas because yes, it's a national broadcast.

Pulled this from here...
http://www.glennbeck.com/affiliates/onelist.shtml

MISSOURI

Columbia KSSZ-FM 93.9 Weekdays 8a-11a Sat 5p-8p

Kansas City KCMO-AM 710 Sat 6p-9p

Joplin KZRG-AM 1310 Weekdays 8a-11a Sat 2p-5p

Lebanon KLWT-AM 1230 8a-11a

Springfield KSGF-AM 1260 Sun 7a-9a, Sun 9p-12a

Springfield KSGF-FM 104.1 Sun 7a-9a, Sun 9p-12a

St Louis KFTK-FM 97.1 Weekdays 1pm - 2pm Sat 7p-10p

Kelly J

imported post

dngreer wrote:
Kelly J wrote:

A conservative talk show host who I prefer over Hannity or Limbaugh. He is a straight shooter, and is all about what is good for American, not the Democrats or Republicans. He is nationally syndicated, and is also on XM radio channel 165. The show is on 9-12am eastern time. He also has a show on CNN Headline News at 7,9,12 every night. He is a very good guy, and he gets what is going on in the world and our country. Check out http://www.glennbeck.com. Ok, enough of the advertising. :D

And by the way, the teacher never was on the show. Maybe she'll be on the TV show tonight, or maybe she just cancelled. Who knows, Glenn didn't say anything.
Thank you now I know!

Kelly J

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Glenn Beck: Conservative talkshow host known to mix humour with his political discussion.

Most Clear Channel (gag) talk radio stations.

In most areas because yes, it's a national broadcast.

Pulled this from here...
http://www.glennbeck.com/affiliates/onelist.shtml

MISSOURI

Columbia KSSZ-FM 93.9 Weekdays 8a-11a Sat 5p-8p

Kansas City KCMO-AM 710 Sat 6p-9p

Joplin KZRG-AM 1310 Weekdays 8a-11a Sat 2p-5p

Lebanon KLWT-AM 1230 8a-11a

Springfield KSGF-AM 1260 Sun 7a-9a, Sun 9p-12a

Springfield KSGF-FM 104.1 Sun 7a-9a, Sun 9p-12a

St Louis KFTK-FM 97.1 Weekdays 1pm - 2pm Sat 7p-10p
Thanks!