• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places to shoot in NOVA except for the shooting ranges

Chaingun81

imported post

Hey everyone!

It's probably an offtopic question for this forum, but i failed to find any info anywhere else and it seems like there is a ton of knowledgable people on this forum. I live in Centreville, VA and i usually shoot at the NRA range. However,you cando only so much there andi was wondering if there is a place outdoors where one can legally and safelyshoot things other than paper targets (to test penetration power of different loadsor just to get more spectacular shooting experience) - things like bottles, cans, ice cubes, metal sheets, melons, etc.The laws aboutfirearm dischargeseem pretty fuzzy,and i'm sort of confused.:banghead:I live in a townhouse inpopulated area,so shooting on my own land is clearly out of question. Does anyone know of any place where you can legally and safely practice with your own targets in the northern part of VA?

Thanks!

vrwmiller

imported post

The Commonwealth allows each municipality to regulate the discharge of firearms. You can search municipal code at www.municode.com.

If you want to shoot, as you do, at multiple different types of targets with multiple types of loads, I would recommend private property. I know a few people with enough private property in rural counties that I can utilize those facilities when need be. Therefore, I don't know of any "public" facilities that would allow this type of activity.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

When I first got into firearms, I used to drive down to Woodbridge from Falls Church and just over the Occuaquan River (where there is now a marina), there was a dump where me and friends used to shoot for hours. We'd use .22's, .357's, and .45ACP's.. but mostly .22's. The police used to come by on occasion just to make sure we are careful and all was well. Never had a problem. This type of informal shooting is known as "plinking".

Anyway, finding a spot like that nowadays would be difficult at best and I appreciate your concerns. If you do manage to find one, clue us in.. please.

Placementvs.Calibur

imported post

I've been told that there's an outdoor range in Leonardstown, MD. It's at a state park called Myrtle Grove. I have yet to go. Apparently it's 50 minutes down Indian Head Hwy and you buy a years pass to utilize the facilities. Having never been I don't know what the place looks like. You can find it on the web under MD parks and rec. Good Luck.:cool:

AbNo

imported post

The only two places I know of are Hite Hollow, down in August Springs (about 3 hours from you), and Brandywine, in WV (take 33W into WV, and it's a couple of miles after the state border).

But again, they are both probably about 3 hours from you.

Chaingun81

imported post

Thanks everyone - now i understand why i couldn't find anything in the Internet - it's harder than i thought.

AbNo: special thanks to you - 3 hours isn't great, but doable every once in a while. What are these places - some kind of private shooting ranges with a lot of space and little rules or public property where firearm discharge isn't restricted?

AbNo

imported post

Nope! They are Department of Game and Inland Fisheries target shooting sites, tax payer funded.

And actually, I just found a (partial) list of them.

http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/where_to_hunt/shooting_ranges.html

I don't know where any of these areas are, and I REALLY need to sleep for my trip to Haymarket today, so you'll have to look them up yourself. :D

Hurray, Protest Warrior BBQ! (second annual!)

And now, some recently neglected banana....
:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Marco

imported post

island.gif