• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

California Open Carry Flyer

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Just updated the Flyer. A few typo corrections thanks to CalGunners and added this paragraph:

** There is a common misconception that merely possessing both a firearm and ammunition on one’s person legally equates to “loaded”. This mistake stems from several PC sections that do not apply to the law-abiding gun owner. 12001(j) and 12023 only apply to carrying a firearm while committing a felony. 12021.5 applies only to street gang crimes as defined in 186.22. 12022.2 only applies to armor piercing ammunition. And finally 12025(b)(6)(A) only applies if one is also convicted of a 12025 violation (carrying concealed). And one final note about the definition of loaded, Fish and Game codes have a different (and more lenient) definition of loaded, which may apply to licensed hunters while actually hunting.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

MudCamper wrote:
Just updated the Flyer. A few typo corrections thanks to CalGunners and added this paragraph:

** There is a common misconception that merely possessing both a firearm and ammunition on one’s person legally equates to “loaded”. This mistake stems from several PC sections that do not apply to the law-abiding gun owner. 12001(j) and 12023 only apply to carrying a firearm while committing a felony. 12021.5 applies only to street gang crimes as defined in 186.22. 12022.2 only applies to armor piercing ammunition. And finally 12025(b)(6)(A) only applies if one is also convicted of a 12025 violation (carrying concealed). And one final note about the definition of loaded, Fish and Game codes have a different (and more lenient) definition of loaded, which may apply to licensed hunters while actually hunting.

Sorry to be a stinker,... but maybe we could do a snazzy tri-fold pamphlet with some graphics like the Washington folks?

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Sorry to be a stinker,... but maybe we could do a snazzy tri-fold pamphlet with some graphics like the Washington folks?

Well Decoligny made a nifty pocket 3-fold. It's even more abridged thenmy flyer though. I'll have to take a look at this Washington pamphlet you speak of...

Decoligny

imported post

I wanted mine to be a quick easy to read and understand reference to show what the PC sections meant, but not to overwhelm anyone with legalese by quotingthe entire text of thesections. With as long as some of the sections are I would need a booklet to cover the whole text, not just a pamphlet.

I have a third edition about ready to post that has includes how the 12001 (j) definition of Loaded Firearm is commonly misused. It also references CFR Title 36 and 39.

If you guys want to do any work on the trifold, go ahead and see what improvements you can come up with.

I am pretty sure that the Washington guys used my pamphlet as an inspiration for thiers.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

cato wrote:
You ARE the state administrator! :lol: What? No power with the title.:cry:
I asked about that back when I submitted my recommendations for the state splash page. (Which last time I checked still had not been updated.)

It would be great if they could give each state administrator some sort of mod powers for their respective state. Maybe I'll ask again; that request went in several months ago and I never did get a response...

ETA: Until then I'll just bump this thread every time I log in. :dude:

cato

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
daily bump
Do you think CA is special or something. What about all the other states who have to look at your CA bumps. Is OCDO supposed to be CA centric?

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

cato wrote:
CA_Libertarian wrote:
daily bump
Do you think CA is special or something. What about all the other states who have to look at your CA bumps. Is OCDO supposed to be CA centric?
You're right, how insensitive of me.

(Let's hide our daily bump with conversation... that'll fool 'em)

I know: 9mm or .45cal? Discuss!

J.A.G.

imported post

Other Restrictions:

171b Cannot carry in any state or local public building or at any meeting required to be open to the public.

What exactly does this sub-section mean?

I am new to the forum here. I live in Los Angeles, and had no idea this whole "Open Carry" community existed. I am trying to learn the laws and understand when, where, and how I can carry at any point. Being as I'm from LA...a CCW is out of the question (although I'm in the process of trying to get one...or rather get denied for one). I'm sick of trying to figure out what all this legal nonsense they call laws mean. They have so many sections, and sub-sections, and revisions, and exemptions, and restrictions... its impossible to follow. So any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Joe