• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Second Delaware School Shooting Incident

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

First was about 2 weeks ago at Goldey-Beacom College... no injuries, shooter surrendered within a couple of days, then this:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/21/delaware.shooting/index.html

(CNN) -- Police in Dover searched a locked down campus Friday for a man suspected in the shooting of two Delaware State University students, the school said.

art.campus.file.jpg

Delaware State University classes were canceled Friday after two students were shot and wounded.

A male student who was shot is in stable condition, the university said in a statement, and a female student's condition is "considered serious."

"I think he's out of danger," university spokesman Carlos Holmes told reporters Friday. "I can't say the same thing for the female student."

No one is being allowed in or out of campus dormitories while university and city police pursue the suspect, the school statement said. The school houses about 1,700 students.

The on-campus shooting occurred at about 1 a.m. ET, near Memorial Hall, said the school, which has canceled classes for Friday.

"Until the suspect is apprehended, students, faculty and staff are being directed to remain in their buildings until further notice," the university said.

Police said they planned to interview the victims for more information, according to The Associated Press. "We haven't had a chance to talk to them yet, and that's probably a big reason why the suspect is still at large," said Holmes on KYW-TV, according to AP.

Immediately after the shooting, Holmes said, the university posted "timely warning notifications" in residential halls, on Web sites and on campus phone messages.

"Any time you pick up a phone you automatically hear a message that lets you know the situation," Holmes said. "We've used everything we have at our disposal."

An investigation report released in August criticized officials at Virginia Tech University after the shooting deaths of dozens of students there. The report said the university failed to provide enough immediate information on the day of the April 16 campus attack.

Seung-Hui Cho, 23, killed 32 students and staff before taking his own life. Seventeen others were wounded in the shootings.

Delaware State University is about two hours away from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Baltimore, Maryland; and Washington, and three hours away from New York City.

wildcat

imported post

Maybe one day these "enlightened know it alls" will wake & let law abiding citizens be able to protect theirselves.

BTW, has anyone heard a description of the perp or perps?

gotarheels03

imported post

dkd wrote:
when are these universities going to get over the idea that their campuses are somehow immune from violence
Call me cynical, but I don't think they will, at least not anytime soon. Up here at University of Delaware our campus police are STILL not armed. That's how out of touch these people are with reality.

Of course Delaware has another hurdle to overcome. State law prohibits carry on campus in addition to University policy.

The Goldy Beacom (sp?) shooting happened just down the road from me. Honestly, its gotten to the point where I'm not all that surprised when these things happen. It's just a logical conclusion of creating both a gun free zone and a target rich environment.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

gotarheels03 wrote:
dkd wrote:
when are these universities going to get over the idea that their campuses are somehow immune from violence
Call me cynical, but I don't think they will, at least not anytime soon. Up here at University of Delaware our campus police are STILL not armed. That's how out of touch these people are with reality.

Of course Delaware has another hurdle to overcome. State law prohibits carry on campus in addition to University policy.

The Goldy Beacom (sp?) shooting happened just down the road from me. Honestly, its gotten to the point where I'm not all that surprised when these things happen. It's just a logical conclusion of creating both a gun free zone and a target rich environment.
Which state law is that, Gotarheels?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mstem wrote:
Maybe one day these "enlightened know it alls" will wake & let law abiding citizens be able to protect theirselves.

If only we allowed citizens to carry their weapon on university campuses the shooting toll would probably have been less severe. It might not have happened at all.

Leagueof1291 had a petition going a while ago:

University Campus Violence Prevention Petition

...we citizens of the United States affirm and assert that all citizens licensed to carry concealed weapons should be allowed to carry their weapons on university campuses in order to defend themselves and other innocent citizens.

http://www.petitiononline.com/UCVP/petition.html

DeerForce1

imported post

I would hate to be in that situation. The police cannot identify the shooter so they cannot guarantee anyones safety, noone is allowed to be armed with an effective weapon & innocent potential victims are not allowed to leave to try to go to a safer place.

It just seems to melocking down the campus could alsokeep the shooter in biulding number 20 while the police search the previous 19. How many shots could he get off before the policeget there.

But then again i'm to old for college & even if i did go back i would at least carry a good sized pig sticker.........................................................DF1

gotarheels03

imported post

Wynder wrote:
gotarheels03 wrote:
dkd wrote:

Which state law is that, Gotarheels?
Nevermind.:banghead: Re-reading the statute it appears i'm wrong. Section 1457 of the criminal code prohibits possession in a safe schools zone, including colleges, but it requires that one has also committed the underlying offense of carrying a concealed weapon without a permit (section 1442) Legal carry would obviously not apply.

imperialism2024

imported post

gotarheels03 wrote:
Section 1457 of the criminal code prohibits possession in a safe schools zone, including colleges, but it requires that one has also committed the underlying offense of carrying a concealed weapon without a permit (section 1442) Legal carry would obviously not apply.
So, if I have this right... If you've been carrying a firearm illegally... The state is making it illegal for you to carry one.

I think we've found the single stupidest gun law ever made. And that really is saying a lot.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
gotarheels03 wrote:
Section 1457 of the criminal code prohibits possession in a safe schools zone, including colleges, but it requires that one has also committed the underlying offense of carrying a concealed weapon without a permit (section 1442) Legal carry would obviously not apply.
So, if I have this right... If you've been carrying a firearm illegally... The state is making it illegal for you to carry one.

I think we've found the single stupidest gun law ever made. And that really is saying a lot.
Actually, what I believe it's saying is, if you're illegally carrying concealed and doing so in a Safe School Zone, you'll be charged on that greater offense of carrying a concealed weapon in a school zone without a permit.

imperialism2024

imported post

Wynder wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
gotarheels03 wrote:

Actually, what I believe it's saying is, if you're illegally carrying concealed and doing so in a Safe School Zone, you'll be charged on that greater offense of carrying a concealed weapon in a school zone without a permit.
Ah, ok, got it.

I'm off to the Valley Forge gun show now... :celebrate

gotarheels03

imported post

Wynder wrote:
imperialism2024 wrote:
gotarheels03 wrote:

Here is the actual statute. Basically what its saying is that you can't be charged under 1457 unless you've committed the underlying offenses, which of course you would not have if you're open carrying / CCWing. My guess is if you were carrying illegally in a school zone the AG's office just tacks on this extra misdemeanor charge.

§ 1457. Possession of a weapon in a Safe School and Recreation Zone; class D, E, or F: class A or B misdemeanor. (a) Any person who commits any of the offenses described in subsection (b) of this section, or any juvenile who possesses a firearm or other deadly weapon, and does so while in or on a "Safe School and Recreation Zone" shall be guilty of the crime of possession of a weapon in a Safe School and Recreation Zone.
(b) The underlying offenses in Title 11 shall be:
(1) Section 1442. -- Carrying a concealed deadly weapon; class G felony; class E felony.
(2) Section 1444. -- Possessing a destructive weapon; class E felony.
(3) Section 1446. -- Unlawfully dealing with a switchblade knife; unclassified misdemeanor.
(4) Section 1448. -- Possession and purchase of deadly weapons by persons prohibited; class F felony.
(5) Section 1452. -- Unlawfully dealing with knuckles-combination knife; class B misdemeanor.
(6) Section 1453. -- Unlawfully dealing with martial arts throwing star; class B misdemeanor.

Wynder

State Researcher
imported post

Just a quick update...

Several weeks ago, the student who perpetrated the shooting was captured. Sadly, I just recieved word tonight that the more serious of the victims died earlier today from her abdomen wound.

Looks like that man will be taking a murder rap.

Demarest

imported post

gotarheels03 wrote:
dkd wrote:
Call me cynical, but I don't think they will, at least not anytime soon.
I realize this thread was bumped, but I'd still like to point out that they may not soon have a choice. When the woman in Oregon state won round one of her personal battle for concealed carry on school grounds, the school board thought they'd shame her by informing parents and inviting them to transfer their children into a different class if they so desired. It backfired when ONE student was transfered out, but many more lined up to transfer in.

Source: http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=101907B