Thread: Buying a gun.. They forget the paper work.

Post imported post

About a week ago I go to buy a new rifle, they didn't have it so they special ordered it. Gun came in last night. I go to pick it up, the gun is already paid for, show them my receipt and walk out... No paper work, no phoning it in,no background check, nothing. I kept my mouth shut, partly because I wanted to see if they'd catch it and partly because I'm against gun registration.

So yea, pretty wild. I can't believe they forgot to do the paper work, thats a pretty big no no.

Who do you call to report that? ATF?

Post imported post

I wouldn't bring attention to it. You call the shop, if you're losing sleep over it. Otherwise, life goes on...

Post imported post

If you knowingly aid in the commission of a crime you can be held criminally liable as an accomplice... just fyi... (IANAL--yet)

Post imported post

The problem is when we call in NICS and do the paperwork that is how we show where the gun went when the BATF does there annual audit. That means next audit your gun will be reported stolen and the next time your gun gets checked ie. when you go to sell it or someone else goes to sell it you will be charged with theft of a firearm. :shock:there fault or not, unfortunatly you will be the one to take the fall. BTW what gunshop was this.

Post imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
    About a week ago I go to buy a new rifle, they didn't have it so they special ordered it. Gun came in last night. I go to pick it up, the gun is already paid for, show them my receipt and walk out... No paper work, no phoning it in,no background check, nothing. I kept my mouth shut, partly because I wanted to see if they'd catch it and partly because I'm against gun registration.

So yea, pretty wild. I can't believe they forgot to do the paper work, thats a pretty big no no.

I would talk to Your BCI about it and see how they would be able to direct You somehow.

IFthey "missed" You how many more have they "missed"???

Dangerous Business if You ask me

Post imported post

You didn't give them any personal info when you ordered it? How do you know that they didn't do a check? Also, I said I wouldn't bring any attention to it. That doesn't mean that there wouldn't be consequences given certain situations. It is your civic dutyto call the shop where the gun came from so that you may be entered in the BATF's records as the proud owner of that fine piece of American freedom. How else will they know where to find it when they are out taking all the guns out of our hands? Do your part, save the world.

Post imported post

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    Agent 47 wrote:
    :shock:there fault or not, unfortunatly you will be the one to take the fall. BTW what gunshop was this.

Possible exception:
    not if he has a sales receipt with the serial# and date on it, however you can no longer plead ignorance after posting it on a public forum

keep what store it was to yourself!!!

(you know the Gov"t has spies)

Edit: the store will probaby be giving you a call before the week is up or when/if someone double checks their paper work

To keep myself on the "Good" side of the Bars, I mean the Law, I would go back to the Store. Better Safe than Sorry.

If it was a Private Sale maybe different, BUt I would still have had a Bill of Sale somehow.

Post imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
    You didn't give them any personal info when you ordered it? How do you know that they didn't do a check? Also, I said I wouldn't bring any attention to it. That doesn't mean that there wouldn't be consequences given certain situations. It is your civic dutyto call the shop where the gun came from so that you may be entered in the BATF's records as the proud owner of that fine piece of American freedom. How else will they know where to find it when they are out taking all the guns out of our hands? Do your part, save the world.
    Normally you fill that form out. I can't remember the name of if,it asks if you're crazy, if you're a felon, illegal alien... They look at your drivers lisence and then call it in and get the ok. That didn't happen...
    How else will they know where to find it when they are out taking all the guns out of our hands?
    Exactly.

Agent 19-- I do have the receipt of the serial # and date... And this is all hypothetical

Post imported post

DrewGunner wrote:

You're being soooooooo childish.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    DrewGunner wrote:

Hi HankT,

Is that a WOMANS opinoin ???

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    DrewGunner wrote:

Hi HankT,

Is that a WOMANS opinoin ???

An adult's.

Hey UTOC. Quick! Where's your gun?

Are you sure?

Post imported post

:what:.........:celebrate...

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    DrewGunner wrote:

So what would you do hank?Goback andsay you guys are morons and forgot to do the paper work? Report them to the feds so that this doesn't (hopefully doesn't)happen again. Or just forget about it...

Post imported post

I would go back, if only to see the looks on their faces when they relize they let a gun walk out the door with no paperwork.:P

Post imported post

Well, I learned something new today. I guess since I have never purchased a rifle from a dealer, I was unaware that a buyergoes through a NICS check. I thought it was only for pistols.

Or am I thinking of PA laws?
    I can tell you've been Rady8ed, you have a nice glow about you.

Post imported post

rady8um wrote:
    Well, I learned something new today. I guess since I have never purchased a rifle from a dealer, I was unaware that a buyergoes through a NICS check. I thought it was only for pistols.
    ALL firearms...

Pistols, Revolvers, Rifles, Shotguns, Grenade Throwers, Bazookas:celebrate...Tanks

Post imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    rady8um wrote:
    ALL firearms...

Pistols, Revolvers, Rifles, Shotguns, Grenade Throwers, Bazookas:celebrate...Tanks
    You forgot the notorious "Semi-automatic Machine Guns"... ROFL!!!
    B.S. Chemistry UofWA '09
    KF7GEA

Post imported post

just_a_car wrote:
    UTOC-45-44 wrote:
    rady8um wrote:
    ALL firearms...

You forgot the notorious "Semi-automatic Machine Guns"... ROFL!!!
    I'm soooooo SOOORRY.

ROTFLMAO

Post imported post

DrewGunner wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    DrewGunner wrote:

So what would you do hank?Goback andsay you guys are morons and forgot to do the paper work? Report them to the feds so that this doesn't (hopefully doesn't)happen again. Or just forget about it...

I would do the right thing.

Y'know, you're like the1.5 year old kid who found dad's keyring and is danglingit through a fence over some bridge or something. You don't quite know what you've got but EVERYONE is paying attention to you and somehow it seems really coooool to have ALL THAT POWER! :P

Do what you want. Let's see if you drop the keys over the bridge.

State Researcher

Post imported post

I work in a gun shop. Unless you are wanting to have these guys arrested and loose everything they own, shut down the store and piss-off all of their customers, I would strongly encourage you to quietly get back there and do what ever the law says should have been done.

If you don't want a record of the purchase, buy it from a private individual, but please don't screw one of the good guys.

LoveMyCountry

Post imported post

LoveMyCountry wrote:
    If you don't want a record of the purchase, buy it from a private individual, but please don't screw one of the good guys.

I completely agree with this statement. It won't cost you anything to do the right thing.

Hank, I have only one thing to say to you: :celebrate

Post imported post

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

I think it would be good to quietly speak with the guy who sold you the gun and have him fill out the proper paperwork. I agree that registration sucks, but his job potentiallyhangs on the line with this one. If you made a mistake at work that could effect your employement, and possibly your whole business if you were the shop owner, I'm sure you would appreciate it if someone helped you to fix the problem before it got to that point.

This is your chance to really help someone out and be a good samaritan. I hope that you will set a strong example of integrity for the rest of us by doing the right thing.