• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Little Knife?

Mainsail

imported post

Can I carry somehting like this on my belt to aid in pistol retention? It's a single edge blade, which I think WA requires, but would it be considered a 'dagger'?

yhst-37315173526266_1965_22977595

sandy

imported post

Answering your question:

Those are fine in WA, and are considered a simple single-edged fixed-bladed knife.

Unfortunately, all fixed-bladed knives are banned in Seattle, so keep out of the big city with it. Yes, this even applies to the 1/2" models.

Commenting on your question:

If you have the free hand and ability to use it in time, direct physical retention techniques would be a better use of your hands. A situation where this knife would make the difference to help you keep or get your gun back doesn't seem too likely. It seems more likely that going for the knife could slow your response. Still, what you want to carry it for isn't too important. My point is that you shouldn't consider this too major of a part of your retention plan.
--Sandy (WA)

BigDaddy5

imported post

sandy wrote:
Answering your question:
Those are fine in WA, and are considered a simple single-edged fixed-bladed knife.

Unfortunately, all fixed-bladed knives are banned in Seattle, so keep out of the big city with it. Yes, this even applies to the 1/2" models.

From the Seattle Municipal Code:
Code:
[i][i]Title 12A - CRIMINAL CODE
Subtitle I Criminal Code
Chapter 12A.14 - Weapons Control[/i][/i]
Code:
A. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.
B. "Fixed-blade
knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight-edged razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving appliance.

I read this as any knife with a blade under 3.5" in length is perfectly legal to carry, regardless of kind.

grease63s

imported post

Section A says that Dangerous knife = fixed blade knife OR knife where blade > 3.5" (ie. large folders).

Section B explains that fixed blade knives are illegal regardless of blade length.

Where do you see fixed blade knives under 3.5" inches as being acceptable?

BigDaddy5

imported post

grease63s wrote:
Section A says that Dangerous knife = fixed blade knife OR knife where blade > 3.5" (ie. large folders).

Section B explains that fixed blade knives are illegal regardless of blade length.

Code:
[i][i]Title 12A - CRIMINAL CODE
Subtitle I Criminal Code
Chapter 12A.14 - Weapons Control[/i][/i]
Section B:

Code:
B. Carry concealed or unconcealed on his or her person any dangerous
[b]knife,[/b] or carry concealed on his or her person any deadly weapon other
than a firearm; or

C. Possess a firearm in any stadium or convention center operated by a
city, county or other municipality, except that such restriction shall
not apply to:

1. Any pistol in the possession of a person licensed under RCW
9.41.070 or exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, or

2. Any showing, demonstration or lecture involving the exhibition of
firearms.

http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~scri...p=1&u=/~public/code1.htm&r=8&Sect6=HITOFF&f=G

Right there, where it only prohibits "dangerous knives" not fixed-blade knives.

Secion

Agent 47

imported post

I would see the advantage of arming your off side ( the hand without the gun ) just in case an attacker grabes your gun arm and you are unable to retreive your weapon. You could use such a knife to presuade the attacker to releaseyour gun hand:D

expvideo

imported post

I see we've entered the matrix.

:D

JK, this is America and you can defend yourself however you want. Just poking a little fun; I carry a knife too.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It appears that those of you that are unlucky enough to live within the borders of the PRS need to get rid of all those butter and steak knives before Comrade Nickles has you arrested!

carhas0

imported post

grease63s wrote:

I agree with grease's interpretation. Seattle's Municipal Code defines "dangerous knives" as "any fixed blade knife and any other knife having a blade of more than three and one-half inches..." In the next section, it prohibits the carry of any dangerous knife, which by the defiinition in the section before it, includes any fixed blade knife, and any knife with a blade longer than 3.5 in.

flagwaver

imported post

Simple, forget the knife carry a second gun on the other side. When I go down town Seattle I carry two in CC as I came really close to getting robbed in the day time on 4th before I started to carry again. I haven't worked my way up to OC yet, working on it! Love this forum keep it up.

Mainsail

imported post

flagwaver wrote:
Simple, forget the knife carry a second gun on the other side. When I go down town Seattle I carry two in CC as I came really close to getting robbed in the day time on 4th before I started to carry again. I haven't worked my way up to OC yet, working on it! Love this forum keep it up.

Carry two guns? I can barely keep my pants up with one! Should I pick up one of those double holster cowboy rigs? :p
No, the one gun is sufficient. If I was so worried about crime that I thought I might need two firearms, I’d probably just avoid the stress and stay home.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
flagwaver wrote:

Carry two guns? I can barely keep my pants up with one! Should I pick up one of those double holster cowboy rigs? :p
No, the one gun is sufficient. If I was so worried about crime that I thought I might need two firearms, I’d probably just avoid the stress and stay home.
lol I've carried two guns a couple of times. Not because I seriously thought I needed two, but more so because one was concealed and one was open...made it easier if I was venturing somewhere that I needed to go concealed...I just took the open one off!

Agent 47

imported post

I usually carry two guns, If you think about it cops carry a backup with good reason. I see it could come in handy for the same reasons for your everyday citizen as well.

flagwaver

imported post

I only carry two in down town at night (I like the plays), one 44mag. shoulder rig and one 9mm clip-on. I'm old and fat so I get to use suspenders to keep my pants up and some times I through in my 22mag derringer. The only thing that would make me look more paranoid would be if I wore a belt with the suspenders.

BluesBear

imported post

For those of you who don't know me from other forums, I am classified as disabled due to a few injuries I sustained in July, 2004 (I fractured my T-12 into three separate pieces, damaged my C5-C6 and popped the ball of of my left elbow). As a result I wear a corset style back-brace and if I am walking I walk with a cane.My left arm doesn't completely straighten and I have had nerve surgery on my right hand. I use the cane in whichever hand/arm thathurts the least at that given moment. If I were to fall or be knocked down I could not get up unassisted.Consequently I have been known to carry a gun on each hip or under each arm.

All of my life, due to being cross-eye dominant,I have practiced shooting with each hand.I shootequally well with either hand and it's finally paid off. If the balloon were to go up again, whether I be vertical or horizontal, I'll (should) be able to reach one or the other.

Besides, a second gun is the fastest reload. ;)

I believe it's known as a "New York Reload".

flagwaver

imported post

Thanks BluesBear, I feel better after reading what you wrote all I have is a bad heart, type-2 and sleep with a respirator instead of a woman. Compared to you I'm in the peak of health. I canmost likely take care of my self but I feela little safer when I carry. If the balloon ever goes up I don't think I would last very long. Like they say I live it for all that is worth.

heresolong

imported post

BluesBear wrote:

Besides, a second gun is the fastest reload. ;)

I believe it's known as a "New York Reload".
I don't know about that. I can get a magazine in and out of my Ruger a lot faster than I can drop the Ruger (which I wouldn't be too thrilled about anyway) and draw the second gun, which would then be in the wrong hand and require a hand switch.

BluesBear

imported post

heresolong wrote:
I don't know about that. I can get a magazine in and out of my Ruger a lot faster than I can drop the Ruger (which I wouldn't be too thrilled about anyway) and draw the second gun, which would then be in the wrong hand and require a hand switch.
Points to ponder;

• It's better to get the empty magazine out and the full one in. ;)
  • By the time you need your second gun (or reload)your assets should be behind some hard cover so you really wouldn't have to drop it very far anyway.
  • If you're properly carrying your second gun you can draw it just as fast as you can a magazine. Actually faster since most pistol magazine don't have a nice grip to grab onto.
  • You should really learn to shoot with either hand in case you're ever injured
  • You could switch the empty gun in your off hand, then draw with your strong hand while stuffing the empty gun into your waistband or holster. Go watch some of those cowboy shooters sometime and you'll see how fast a body can swap guns.
  • I can draw my second gun a heck of a lot faster than you can reload yours.

Seriously. I can do a dang fast reload, (I'm no Jerry Miculek but I have done more than my fair share of practicing and I'm wayahead of the pack)but I can't reload anywhere near as fast as I can draw.