• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig, Glock, or 1911

Sig, Glock, or 1911

• Sig

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glock

• Other type

• ---AND---

• 9mm

• Other caliber

• Total voters

xmirage2kx

imported post

After much looking and shooting I think I have narrowed my search for my next gun to 3 choices:

Sig

Glock

There are many different options for each weapon and I am not set on a caliber and dont wish to start an arguement on why X is better than Y, just gather a general thought.

67390FE

imported post

I carry one of three each day.About 80% of the timeI carry a Springfield Champ, maybe 15% of the time is my bride's Combat Master, the other 5% I use my P91DC in .40. If I could only have one it would, hands down,be a 1911.

OBXMIKE

imported post

Why don't you kill two birds with one stone and getone of the Sig 1911s?

I got one of the GSR Revolution "carry" models last year, and have been 100% happy with it. Check it out on Sig's site. They are a little spendy, but you get a lot of features you have to pay extra for on other makes. So far it has fed and ejected reliably with everything I've put in the tube.

Or, for the same $$, you could just buy two Glocks.....

Ain't (gun)shopping fun?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

xmirage2kx wrote:
...and dont wish to start an arguement on why X is better than Y, just gather a general thought.

Umm, for your information Y is actually better than X..

Anyway out of those 3 options, I would have to say a 1911 hands down, and I don't even own one. I took a long time to shop for my first handgun and the Sigs and Glocks just don't do it for me. One of my main reasons was the apparent lack of single action/double action (I say apparent because I'm not 100% sure that Sig doesn't have one...but I'm 99% sure lol).

I don't like the "glock action" type weapons...I wont go into why unless you want me to :D.

Ghettokracker71

imported post

Springfield XD or Glock.

.40S&W or .45ACP.

Why? Readily available, fairly simple/straight forward to strip,and maintain. Good ergonomics (accurate),extremely reliable.....

Mainsail

imported post

This poll is somewhat pointless. Only you can answer the question about what gun fits you best, and what gun shoots most accurately for you. All the rest is just a popularity contest.

Basic Guy

imported post

Seems to me that these three handguns are the three opposite poles of the modern autoloading handgun world.

Each of these guns have their own following with little intermixing between the cohorts. Some of this is the operation, some of it is the fit to personal shooting styles. The only way to really answer this question is to make a chance to shoot one of each yourself and find out.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Mainsail wrote:
This poll is somewhat pointless. Only you can answer the question about what gun fits you best, and what gun shoots most accurately for you. All the rest is just a popularity contest.

Not exactly. For instance, I mentioned earlier that I don't like the theory of a "glock action", and would never want a weapon that utilized it. I never had to hold or shoot a glock to know that...I found out through reading and talking to people. I also found out that a lot of other guns, like the XDs, also use this action, so I stayed away from them as well.

A lot of people swear on a brand simply because it's the only brand they've ever had, BUT some people have honest factual reasons why the prefer one over the other. I say people express their opinions, and then state their reason for preferring one over the other. That's what I did, and I think that will help him make a good decision.

With all of that being said, once you get to the point where you have a couple of guns that you like, but you're not sure which to buy, DEFINITELY try them out. I hated not being able to shoot my S&W before I bought it, but I was lucky and had done enough research to choose a good sidearm.

Oh, yeah, and one more comment about calibers. It is good to consider the amount of recoil a given caliber will have, but keep in mind that the type of gun you're shooting sometimes effects the recoil MORE than the caliber itself. A super light weight .38 special is going to kick more than a solid 1911 .45.

Basic Guy

imported post

DreQo wrote:
but keep in mind that the type of gun you're shooting sometimes effects the recoil MORE than the caliber itself.
Once upon a time I had a GF who preferred my Para-Ord in 45 over my Hi-Power in 9mm. She was a light-boned, little thing (maybe 5' 4" and 103 lbs.) but said the Hi-Power had a snappier recoil.

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

One of my main reasons was the apparent lack of single action/double action (I say apparent because I'm not 100% sure that Sig doesn't have one...but I'm 99% sure lol).

My Sig 226 is both single and double. I sometimes put the hammer back when I feel where i am going warrants it. I put the thumb strap between the hammer and the gun, works for me.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

dreamcro wrote:
One of my main reasons was the apparent lack of single action/double action (I say apparent because I'm not 100% sure that Sig doesn't have one...but I'm 99% sure lol).

My Sig 226 is both single and double. I sometimes put the hammer back when I feel where i am going warrants it. I put the thumb strap between the hammer and the gun, works for me.

Ah ok, well there ya go. My SW99 doesn't have a hammer, so she's in DA unless I decide to not de-cock it after chambering the first round...I don't think I'd want to carry a cocked gun with no safety on it, though lol. The DA pull isn't horrible, though, and itvery effectively prevents accidental/unintentional firing.

Does the safety on your 226 de-cock the hammer? If it does, then I'm assuming you carry in the holster with the hammer back and safety off? (not implying that's a bad thing, it's a legitmate way to carry, just curious :D)

cmg266

imported post

too many people quoting it takes up so much space. WHERE THE BERETTA?!?!? but I am a glock man got a glock 19 love it :celebrate

Marco

imported post

I sometimes put the hammer back when I feel where i am going warrants it. I put the thumb strap between the hammer and the gun, works for me.

:?:?
attachment.php
's

cmg266

imported post

When I open carry my glock there is not even a bullet in the chamber. I feel that I could put one in quick enough then use it if I have to. Just to be safe for me though you can do what ever you want.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
dreamcro wrote:
I sometimes put the hammer back when I feel where i am going warrants it. I put the thumb strap between the hammer and the gun, works for me.

:what:this a ND waiting to happen !!!
"not trying to slam you"

put more trigger time in so you feel comfortable with the 12lb pull or switch to a DAK, DAO or single action
I used to think that as well, but after carrying the SW99 with an 8 lb pull and no safety, you get used to relying on yourself for safety and not the gun. As far as that first DA shot, though, I found out that with a proper grip, it doesn't matter if I'm shooting DA or SA. This works for me; it may not work for everyone.

Anywayone of the biggest safety features is a user who is confident and comfortable with his weapon. I would rather someone be confident using one less mechanical safety than uneasy about drawing and firing. The scariest thing I've seen with a gun is a person fumbling around unsure of what they're doing.
When I open carry my glock there is not even a bullet in the chamber. I feel that I could put one in quick enough then use it if I have to. Just to be safe for me though you can do what ever you want.
To each his own, but I must say that I would not be comfortable carrying like that. Not only does it add an extra step, and extra time, into your draw, but it also requires you to use both hands. I understand the added safety, and for some that extra step is worth it, but I'd be worried about not being able to draw and fire with one hand.

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
:what:this a ND waiting to happen !!!
"not trying to slam you"

put more trigger time in so you feel comfortable with the 12lb pull or switch to a DAK, DAO or single action

Like I said in my post " only if the situation warrants it" I feel comfortable with DA, but every once in awhile, given the right circumstances. Like two weeks ago I was talking a walk down some road by my old job. Seen the same car drive by me 3 times and on the last time they stopped a block ahead of where I would be walking. I cocked the hammer and stuck the thumb strap between the hammer and the gun. I never keep it cocked and locked for too long.