• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sig, Glock, or 1911

Sig, Glock, or 1911

• Sig

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glock

• Other type

• ---AND---

• 9mm

• Other caliber

• Total voters

pjb

imported post

I have been concealed carrying for many years now and after many courses and some experience including simunitions have concluded that, for me at least, the carry gun of choice is the Glock 23. The caliber is right and the gun is extremely reliable and the magazine is the right size to make mag changes a snap. There are those who say that Glock's tend to shoot to the left(for right handed shooters)and there is some truth to that but it is a problem which can easily be corrected by proper gun handling. Glocks do "run" and run and run; a very important issue for a carry gun that you will stake your life on.

Thundar

imported post

Sig 229 DAO with Hogue custom grips and a Serpa holster works great for me in Virginia. Thousands of rounds down range without a malfunction.:D

Carrying my DAO with one in the chamber would be foolish and it would not belegal in all juristictions. Somejuristictions have a two actions required law to open carry. It would not be legal to open carry with a round in the chamber as trigger pull is all that is required to sling lead.:what:

nickerj1

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
OOOH I like the Sig Revolution C3:what:

Wowzers. :lol: Look at the SiG Revolution Platinum. Maybe OC two of those guys in shoulder holsters. :D

AbNo

imported post

DreQo wrote:
I don't like the theory of a "glock action", and would never want a weapon that utilized it. I also found out that a lot of other guns, like the XDs, also use this action, so I stayed away from them as well.

Well, my first handgun was an XD-40, but now I've a 1911.

Personally, I love both of them. The 1911's a bit better at the range (.40 is a bit rougher than .45), but the XD takes down SO much easier.

I feel both, in proper hands, are perfectly safe weapons.

For the user, of course not for what's on the other end. ;)

bayboy42

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Sig 229 DAO with Hogue custom grips and a Serpa holster works great for me in Virginia. Thousands of rounds down range without a malfunction.:D

Carrying my DAO with one in the chamber would be foolish and it would not belegal in all juristictions. Somejuristictions have a two actions required law to open carry. It would not be legal to open carry with a round in the chamber as trigger pull is all that is required to sling lead.:what:
Jurisdictions in VA have such requirements (I strongly believe you are incorrect)? And why would it be foolish to carry a DAO with one in the chamber?

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Carrying my DAO with one in the chamber would be foolish and it would not belegal in all juristictions. It would not be legal to open carry with a round in the chamber as trigger pull is all that is required to sling lead.:what:
SOmething wrong with the safety on your weapon? The idea of a double action firearm is to have a round ready for battle at a moments notice. You may need that extra second it takes to rack the action on your weapon to save a loved one. Sounds like you're not comfortable with your sig. I can almost guarantee that a 1911 is not in your top 10 carry gun list.

Mainsail

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Carrying my DAO with one in the chamber would be foolish and it would not belegal in all juristictions. It would not be legal to open carry with a round in the chamber as trigger pull is all that is required to sling lead.:what:
SOmething wrong with the safety on your weapon? The idea of a double action firearm is to have a round ready for battle at a moments notice. You may need that extra second it takes to rack the action on your weapon to save a loved one. Sounds like you're not comfortable with your sig. I can almost guarantee that a 1911 is not in your top 10 carry gun list.

The way the Air Force had us carry our Berettas was loaded, round in the chamber, de-cocked, and safety off. In a high stress situation, like an aircraft hijacking, the only thing you had to do is draw and pull the trigger. Remember, KISS.

nickerj1

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Nowadays, non-custom SiG 229's come with DA/SA unless you get the 229DAK. The pull for their DA/SA is 10lbs/4.5lbs. The pull for the old DAO SiGs is 12 lbs, according to Wikipedia.

No safety on the 229's. So I carry with one chambered and decocked. That means he's got two more pounds of trigger pull safety in comparison to me AND he still feels the need to have one not chambered.

Unless you're throwing your gun around or have it unholstered a lot, you should keep a round chambered.

Michigander

imported post

If I had those choises for a carry gun, I would chose a Glock and not think twice about it. As much as I hate them, they are the most reliable thing that can be had for the money. Sig's can and do jam, and so do 1911's. It's happened to me plenty, especially when I abuse my Sig and 1911. Glocks will jam too if you mess with them enough, but I've never seen it happen, and I've seen a lot of Glocks fired off.

Thundar

imported post

bayboy42 wrote:
Thundar wrote:

Jurisdictions in VA have such requirements (I strongly believe you are incorrect)? And why would it be foolish to carry a DAO with one in the chamber?
:banghead:,
By way of explanation my SIG 229 does not have a safety or a decocker. Some juristictions, not Virginia, require two actions to carry, that would be safety off (1) and pull the trigger (2). I was speaking of my weapon but made it sound like I was talking about all DAO.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I generally carry an XD .45. I shot Glocks before I bought it but preferred the XD for several reasons among them being personal fit and the passive safeties (it has a backstrap safety the Glocks do not have). I sometimes carry a Sig P228 as it is slightly thinner and easier to conceal carry in certain situations. My next handgun will be a full size 1911 yet to be chosen just because I like them. For daily carry, I prefer the XD. The Sig is more accurate but a pain in the summer as the slide sweat stains easily and I like having a pistol starting with a "4" on my hip. I'm thinking about having the slide refinished with a Melonite/Nitron to eliminate that issue.

As for an opinion on which pistol to buy that is a very personal question. I didn't see where it was states how the pistol is to be used. Home defense, open carry, conceal carry, etc. The more I learn about firearms the more I realize how very personal these decisions really are and that the answer varies depending on use. If it is going to be a carry weapon, comfort level, expertise and practice time are huge factors. The XD has several passive safeties, the Sig's only safety feature is a decocking lever. With both, they are carried chambered and are essentially "point and shoot" if ever needed, which would be true for a Glock as well. With no manual safety to flip it is one less thing to worry about in a high stress life threatening situation. It took me a while to be comfortable carrying a pistol chambered let alone "cocked and locked". With my comfort level and experience now, with sufficient range time and dry firing to be comfortable and proficient with a manual safety, I wouldn't have an issue carrying a 1911 cocked and locked.

VegasSig

imported post

Michigander wrote:
If I had those choises for a carry gun, I would chose a Glock and not think twice about it. As much as I hate them, they are the most reliable thing that can be had for the money. Sig's can and do jam, and so do 1911's. It's happened to me plenty, especially when I abuse my Sig and 1911. Glocks will jam too if you mess with them enough, but I've never seen it happen, and I've seen a lot of Glocks fired off.

Glocks can and do jam. Helped TWO individuals at the range this weekend clear stovepipes (FTE)and feed (FTF) malfunctions on their Glocks. Both were having issues with their Glocks. Both stated they regularly clean and lube their weapons, and both were using factory ball ammo. I was surprised to see they were glocks when they came over and asked for assistance. All firearms can and will jam, some more then others and more often.

If the U.S.S.S. believes the Sig is good enough to protect the P.O.T.U.S. I have a tough time believing jamming is a issue.Not to mention the Glocks were about 200 bucks cheaper per unit.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My best friend has Glocks. His wife, one of our friends and I all primarly carry XDs (interestingly in 9mm, .40 and .45 respectively). The last time we all 4 went to the range, we each shot about 300 rds. None of the XDs had any FTE or FTFs. His Glock had 2 FTEs and 1 FTF. We were all using Winchester white box ammo. I am not by any means saying Glocks suck. I am just agreeing with VegasSig above as to every brand/model jamming sometimes.

As to Sigs jamming, I have about 1500 rds through my (bought used but excellent condition) P228. Have used it in an advanced handgun class and have run the combat course with it. Have never had a single FTF or FTE with it. Also haven't had a single FTF or FTE with my XD .45 after some 3500 rds with lots of different types and brands of ammo.

cREbralFIX

imported post

All guns have jams and mechanical failures. Revolvers can jam too.

I've broken more 1911's than SIGs and Glocks. I've also had more quality control problems on my 1911's than SIGs and Glocks. But, I've broken guns from all three manufacturers.

You may want to stay away from the SIG 1911 pistols. Do some research on them before purchasing one (sigforum.com, 1911forum.com/forums).

I voted for "and". It's the only option that made sense. Pick what works, but be prepared to do several iterations. You may find that a SIG P229 is too "<something>, and try a Glock. Maybe you'll get a hankerin' for a 1911...go for it. Perhaps, in time, that will be too big, and you'll switch to a S&W J-Frame revolver.

Please realize that you'll (eventually) find that guns are like shoes: they serve different purposes and tend to accumulate in the closet.

Holsters affect how a gun carries. You'll have to figure that out for yourself. We can give some guidelines, but there are so many variables involved that the best answer (for you) can only be determined through experience.

For general concealed carry, the Glock 19, Glock 23, or Glock 32 pistols seem to be an excellent compromise between controlability, concealability, weight, and capacity. I think the Glock 19 is one of the TOP THREE guns of all time for carry and defense for these reasons.

I do NOT get enamoured with "pride in ownership", "a weapon's soul", or glittery guns. It's a tool. If I have to dump it in the gutter for some reason, I will.

As a starter gun, the Glock 19 has much going for it. Recoil is mild and the sight radius is good. The grip fills the hand and supports the palm. You get good capacity. There are NO sharp edges on it (take a two or three day gun class to appreciate this). It is durable and reliable.

It is not pretty. It is not glittery.

It's a tool for killing.

Keep that in mind.

cREbralFIX

imported post

AbNo wrote:
cREbralFIX wrote:
It's a tool for killing.

Keep that in mind.

I beg to differ. It's a tool for putting holes in things.

Be that thing a person or a piece of paper, that's your decision.

You are free to believe that if you wish.

AbNo

imported post

Choosing to put a hole in something is choosing to kill.

The item has no will of its own.

A knife is designed to cut, but can be used to kill if applied to a person just the same.