• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Woman Taken Into Custody At Gunpoint

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

My God, a law-abiding OCer, great reputation, no real threat...detained AT GUNPOINT!!

Sounds like we need to do more OC'ing in that part of the country. :p

ALeqM5iwtBx0DPjXDJ7f_Yq7PnmtFMx-fw

Lawyer: Fake Bomb Charge an Overreaction
By RODRIQUE NGOWI – 4 hours ago

BOSTON (AP) — The MIT student who walked into Logan International Airport wearing a computer circuit board and wiring on her sweat shirt claimed it was harmless artwork. But to troopers who arrested her at gunpoint, it was a fake bomb.

Nineteen-year-old Star Simpson was charged Friday with possessing a hoax device. Her attorney described the charge as offbase and "almost paranoid," arguing at a court hearing that she did not act in a suspicious manner and had told an airport worker that the device was art.

Authorities said they were amazed that someone would wear such a device eight months after a similar scare in Boston, and six years after two of the jets hijacked in the Sept. 11 attacks took off from Logan.

"I'm shocked and appalled that somebody would wear this type of device to an airport," said State Police Maj. Scott Pare, the airport's commanding officer.

Simpson showed "a total disregard to understand the context of the situation she is in, which is an airport of post-9/11," prosecutor Wayne Margolis said at a hearing where a not guilty plea was entered for Simpson and she was released on $750 bail. Margolis had asked for $5,000 bail.

Simpson, of Lahaina, Hawaii, was arrested Friday morning outside Terminal C, home to United Airlines, Jet Blue and other carriers.

She wore the white circuit board on her chest over a black hooded sweat shirt, Pare said at a news conference. The battery-powered rectangular device had nine flashing lights, and Simpson had Play-Doh in her hands, he said.

Two phrases that looked hand-drawn — "Socket to me" and "Course VI" — were written on the back of Simpson's sweat shirt, which authorities displayed to the media. Course VI appears to refer to Massachusetts Institute of Technology's major of electrical engineering and computer science.

"She said that it was a piece of art and she wanted to stand out on career day," Pare said. "She claims that it was just art, and that she was proud of the art and she wanted to display it."

There was a career fair at the university on Thursday, according to the university's Web site.

Simpson is the secretary of MIT's Electrical Research Society, according to her lawyer. She is a graduate of the Hawaii Preparatory Academy, a private boarding school, has won school prizes for chemistry and leadership and had received a Congressional citation for her work in robotics, said Ross Schreiber, who was appointed to represent Simpson.

He said she was not a risk to flee, cooperated with authorities and was a good student with no prior convictions. He said they would fight the charges.

"I would characterize it as almost being paranoid at this point," Schreiber said of authorities' response.

He said Simpson had gone to the airport to meet her boyfriend. "She was there for legitimate purposes," Schreiber said.

A Massachusetts Port Authority staffer manning an information booth in the terminal became suspicious when Simpson — wearing the device — approached to ask about an incoming flight, Pare said. Simpson then walked outside, and the staffer notified a nearby trooper.

The trooper, joined by others with submachine guns, confronted her in front of the terminal.

"She was immediately told to stop, to raise her hands and not to make any movement, so we could observe all her movements to see if she was trying to trip any type of device," Pare said. "Had she not followed the protocol, we might have used deadly force."

He added, "She's lucky to be in a cell as opposed to the morgue."

The terminal was not evacuated and flights were not affected, airport officials said.

Boston was the focus of a security scare Jan. 31 when dozens of battery-powered devices that featured a character making an obscene gesture with a finger were discovered in various locations. Bomb squads were deployed and some transportation links were closed temporarily. They turned out to be a promotion for the Cartoon Network. Two men were charged in that incident, but prosecutors dropped the charges after they apologized and performed community service.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g2-8Em1L5oDKpru3KXghmCB32tCw

Deacon Blues

imported post

Now, knowing our society, I would never wear anything with wires coming out of it in an airport. But, come on, it's a breadboard, some LEDs, and a 9v battery. I mean, come on! A terrorist would hide a detonator inside of an iPod and nobody would be any the wiser. People have got to start using their brains and stop jumping every time they see their own shadows.

imported post

It could have been worse, LOTS worse. The location could have been Metro Airport in Baton Rouge, the "armed agents of the state" could have been the unmarked SWAT team from the East Baton Rouge sheriff's office. God save (what's left of)the Republic.

mzbk2l

imported post

That's funny, not that she did that, but that this is the first time I'd seen a picture of it. In high school electronics back in 10th grade, we used to use the same boards. We made some LED flashers, strapped the boards to us the same way she did, and then ran wires out our sleeves and up our collars. We had flashing earings and finger rings. We'd walk around and get stared at. Never had guns pulled though. :)

imperialism2024

imported post

HankT wrote:
"She was immediately told to stop, to raise her hands and not to make any movement, so we could observe all her movements to see if she was trying to trip any type of device," Pare said. "Had she not followed the protocol, we might have used deadly force."

He added, "She's lucky to be in a cell as opposed to the morgue."

If I were her, I would try to find a way to press charges for attempted felony murder and conspiracy to commit murder. That would put the "officers" in question away for a few years...

I'm not saying that what she did was the smartest thing in the world, but it's not something that she deserved to die for.

IanB

imported post

My God, a law-abiding OCer, great reputation, no real threat...detained AT GUNPOINT!! Sounds like we need to do more OC'ing in that part of the country. :p
Hank,

Can you point out where in the story it mentions that the woman was OC'ing? I'm drawing a blank here, especially since she was in an airport... in MASSACHUSETTS.

imported post

"That would put the "officers" in question away for a few years." Yea, uh huh.

Must be the Jack Daniels talkin', as everyone with sense knows cops don't go to jail in the New Amerika. If anything, they get a PAID vacation, usually followed by a PROMOTION, depending on the national exposure/level of profile given the state-approved murder. As J.J. Johnson would say, "whack 'em and stack 'em."

imperialism2024

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:

Must be the Jack Daniels talkin', as everyone with sense knows cops don't go to jail in the New Amerika. If anything, they get a PAID vacation, usually followed by a PROMOTION, depending on the national exposure/level of profile given the state-approved murder. As J.J. Johnson would say, "whack 'em and stack 'em."

Ironically, I was just reading a story about how a local "law" enforcement officer drove into a convenience store at 4:30 in the morning... that is, into the convenience store, and the responding "officers" waited over an hour to begin doing any sort of blood alcohol tests. Conveniently, his BAC was right at .07, so he's only being charged with reckless driving and speeding.

I used to think that the vast majority of LEOs were good, reasonable professionals with a knowledge and respect for the law, and that there were a very few who were bad. Now, it's looking more and more like the vast majority of LEOs are criminally negligent and ignorant cowboys whose sole purpose for being in "law" enforcement is to get off on having complete power over civilians, while there is a minority who actually do well the job they are sworn to perform. :cry:

TrueBrit

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
mark edward marchiafava wrote:

Ironically, I was just reading a story about how a local "law" enforcement officer drove into a convenience store at 4:30 in the morning... that is, into the convenience store, and the responding "officers" waited over an hour to begin doing any sort of blood alcohol tests. Conveniently, his BAC was right at .07, so he's only being charged with reckless driving and speeding.

I used to think that the vast majority of LEOs were good, reasonable professionals with a knowledge and respect for the law, and that there were a very few who were bad. Now, it's looking more and more like the vast majority of LEOs are criminally negligent and ignorant cowboys whose sole purpose for being in "law" enforcement is to get off on having complete power over civilians, while there is a minority who actually do well the job they are sworn to perform. :cry:

Truer words were never spoken, fellers! Too much "professional courtesy" between increasingly sub standard cops.

TrueBrit.