• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax county encounter

cmg266

imported post

I yahoo questioned something about open carrying and wise asses who thought they knew the law was owned by another person who posted this. Apparently the person who thought he knew the law didnt even think I had a glock, and thought I was an idiot for going onto a internet site to brag about violating local state and federal laws! Showed him.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A50416-2004Jul14.html

I live in fairfax county.

cmg266

imported post

Thank you seth for your defense if you are on this forum. Could not have said it better myself. :celebrate

LEO 229

imported post

"Ricker said the gun owners "are probably doing their cause more harm than good by raising this issue. It raises an awareness and gives people who are more rational thinkers the opportunity to go to their legislators and make their views known.""

I have similar feelings.... Anti Gun people may push to prohibit OCing.

Anyone know if they have ever tried?

Neplusultra

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
"Ricker said the gun owners "are probably doing their cause more harm than good by raising this issue. It raises an awareness and gives people who are more rational thinkers the opportunity to go to their legislators and make their views known.""

I hope you can see the problem in your reasoning. If I am afraid that in excercising my right to OC I might lose my right to OC then I de facto do not have a right to OC in the first place.

I would add that by OCing we are desensitizing the public who probably never see a gun anywhere other than tv and on a cop. They associate guns with negative things only. By demonstrating that guns can be positive things too I think we actually *lessen* the likelyhood of loosing OC rights.

LEO 229

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

I hope you can see the problem in your reasoning. If I am afraid that in excercising my right to OC I might lose my right to OC then I de facto do not have a right to OC in the first place.

Not exactly... Doing so and being casual about it.... versus making a bold statement and getting all over the news. :D

Eventually... someone in the Anti community hears it is not prohibited by any lawsdecides to take it to Richmond.

Big difference. Nobody says you need to be scared.... and your not prohibited from OCing.

But all it takes is for one person to start their own agenda and go forward. That is my point.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

Not exactly... Doing so and being casual about it.... versus making a bold statement and getting all over the news. :D

Eventually... someone in the Anti community hears it is not prohibited by any lawsdecides to take it to Richmond.

Big difference. Nobody says you need to be scared.... and your not prohibited from OCing.

But all it takes is for one person to start their own agenda and go forward. That is my point.

Hmmm, those sneaky and nefarious Brady-ites just might try something to damage the image of OC. They could get some double agent to strap on a XD and walk around sensitive locations and cause disruption from within. Hey, it's legal and all.

They just might be sneaky enough to do it....bastidges!

sjhipple

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

got to side with neplusultra on this one. if we don't have the ability to use the right without it getting taken away, we never had it anyway.

i think more oc will actually increase our chances of keeping the right because it will make it more commonplace and less :what:. i've already seen people calm down about it in the places that i frequent...on top of that, i've seen more and more people start OCing!

people get uncomfortable because it's not "normal." it's not "normal" because no one does it. no one does it because it's not "normal." the only way to break this vicious cycle is to just DO IT!

doing anything will always create blowback, but being political about it and constantly doing nothing will get us nowhere. we've got to fight for our beliefs. the best way not to make waves it to do nothing...coincidentally, thats also the best way to accomplish nothing. if we take the tact of the politicians in washington and do nothing so as not to anger the opposition, the opposition has ALREADY WON

how about this?!! how about we be the ones that the other side is afraid of pissing off??!! politics is mostly about compromise and the further we draw the line in the sand, the better our chances of winning will be...as long as we're willing to stick to our guns.

the gun rights movement has been incremental over the last 30 years. we've been winning. it's only because of the small steps over the last 30 years that we can do what we do today. i see no reason to stop pushing now. if the last few legislative sessions are any indication, oc does not seem to be hurting gun rights in va...things are getting better, not worse. the wind is at our backs.

in any case, i oc for protection too...other people's opinions don't effect that.

--edit--

and i have to add this. leo 229 asked whether we want to tip off the anti-constitution people that oc is legal since they might start crusading to outlaw it. what the hell good is a law on the books if it's only theoretical?? and what good is it if no one knows that it's legal? all that means is that cops are going to detain you because they don't know, so until people are educated, it's de facto illegal. that's one of the reasons for open carrying. if we STOPPED OCing, then we'd go backwards since

1 - we wouldn't have the right since we'd be choosing not to exercise it

2 - we wouldn't have the right since cops would think it was illegal and detain us for it if we ever did decide to exercise it.

i just don't get where people who make this argument are coming from:question:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

When better to start educating others that a law-abiding citizen can go peaceably armed in public without starting a "shoot-out at the slightest provocation?" After we have lost the right? After even morepeople have been convinced that guns are evil by gun-hater propaganda that already spans two generations?

I find these words of a former Virginia Governor, adapted to the current issue, to be good counsel:

"If we wish to be free -- if we mean to preserve inviolate those inestimable privileges for which we have been so long contending... we must fight! I repeat it, sir, we must fight!

They tell us, sir, that we are weak -- unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed...? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance, by lying supinely on our backs, and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot?

Sir, we are not weak, if we make a proper use of the means which the God of nature hath placed in our power...

The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active,...

It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter... Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle?..."

--Patrick Henry, St. Johns Church, 3/23/1775

http://tinyurl.com/yxhwac

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
SNIP "Ricker said the gun owners "are probably doing their cause more harm than good by raising this issue. It raises an awareness and gives people who are more rational thinkers the opportunity to go to their legislators and make their views known."

Given Bob Ricker's paymaster, anything he says is automatically suspect.

In fact, in that he said anything tells me we are on the right track.

By the way, notice how he plays the sophisticated and elitist card, "more rational thinkers."

para_org

imported post

If LEOs are going to abuse their positions and make big headlines stopping, cuffing, and otherwise violating the civil rights of folks that open carry, then how does one go about "being casual about" open carry ?

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.