• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lackawanna County - Viewmont Mall, Dickson City

sydcomebak

imported post

I was out running lunch errands with my fiancee yesterday when we decided to grab a bite to eat. We were walking in the entrance near the food court and there were 2 security guards standing out front. One of them spotted my firearm and asked if I had a license. I told him that open carry didn't require a license and that's when the 2nd guard told me that weapons weren't allowed on the mall property unless you were a working security guard or a LEO/PO.

So don't OC at the Viewmont Mall.

imperialism2024

imported post

I'm a little confused... if only LEOs and non-broken (or working ;)) security guards are allowed to carry firearms, why did they bother to ask if you had a license? Or do they believe that only LEOs are allowed to get LTCFs?

And, I'd say that instead of not OCing at that mall, how about just not patronizing them at all and sending mall management a letter telling them why?

Neobayer

imported post

Why bother, The kids who work security as just cop wanna be's. These mall ninjas are pithed that they can't carry on duty. They will go out their way to insure that you don't invade their turf doing what they can't.

I had an incident in the Steamtown Mall a few years ago where I was accosted by what I think was the entire mall security detail. I was taking pictures from a vantage point in a parking garage overlooking the Steamtown National Historic Site. I had removed my cover garment as it was a warm May day. They where on me faster than flies on cow turd. I should add that I had photographed Steamtown many, many times, from this same vantage point. Ten years and never a problem. Take off my coat and expose my weapon, and bingo photography is now against mall policy!

I was impressed with the imitation PSP uniform they where wearing, but I also noticed they also lacked a weapon. I just packed up and left. There is no use arguing with a moron.

I have been back to the mall many times, I always carry concealed. I don't care about their silly rules. Steamtown Mall , and the parking garage underneath are not places to be unprotected. When the kids who work mall security grow up, and are allowed to carry , their attitudes may change.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

If someone wants to write to the management of Viewmont Mall, here's their address:

Viewmont Mall, 100 Viewmont Mall, Scranton, PA 18508

By the way, there are approximately 8,422 citizens of Lackawanna County licensed to carry firearms concealed.