• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oakton OC Dinner - 2007

nickerj1

After drawing three 911 calls while walking two blocks and several requests, let's have an OC dinner in Oakton!

Famous Dave's BBQ on Sunday 30 September 2007 at 6:30pm? Who likes ribs?

I haven't met any of you before, so you probably won't recognize me. I'll be the one with the gun.

And I know some of you will be disappointed to hear this, but they serve alcohol, so you won't be able to CC, you'll have to OC.

PM me or reply if you're coming, so I can call in the reservation.

roscoe13

Campaign Veteran
imported post

nickerj1 wrote:
After drawing three 911 calls while walking two blocks and several requests, let's have an OC dinner in Oakton!

I haven't met any of you before, so you probably won't recognize me. I'll be the one with the gun.

And I know some of you will be disappointed to hear this, but they serve alcohol, so you won't be able to CC, you'll have to OC.

Where is this?

And, I'll be the other guy with the gun ;)

IanB

imported post

Sounds like we need to walk down the street, not eat in a restaurant.

nickerj1

imported post

roscoe13 wrote:
nickerj1 wrote:

Where is this?

And, I'll be the other guy with the gun ;)

Map with location:
http://tinyurl.com/34d3u9

Restaurant website menu:
http://www.famousdaves.com/menu.cfm

They have fairly reasonable prices. I think it's 15 bucks for a large ribs platter.

unrequited

imported post

I've never been to Dave's, and drool every time I pass one. *drool* Count me in for a dinner, I missed the last VCDL meeting because I was watching TV and forgot which night it was. : (

cmg266

imported post

Yea count me in, im new to the OC dinner aswell. Ill be packing my glock 19 in its fresh holster :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate.

cmg266

imported post

the hours of NRA are crappy on sundays. Are they open? if they are then deffenitly but I think the close at 8ish? if they close at 10 like they usually do then yes! Of course someone will have to buy me 9mm ammo :( :( still not old enough to buy.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

cmg266

imported post

Just so we know whose who at the dinner I would appreciate if you will just post the gun you will be OCing along with your first name so I can know whose who. So we can at least match up names with what gun they are carrying. (First timer I know >_<). Ill start it off. Im Chris and will be carrying a Glock 19 on the right side and im 19.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nickerj1 wrote:

No offense, but I don't think having an OC dinner in the samepolice district is an appropriate or even effective response to several 911 calls and questionable police conduct. There is no sense ingoing out in force as the first response. Especially in Fairfax County--the police in Fairfax Co. have generally been professional. These aren't Manassas or Norfolk PD.

The unprofessionalismmerits a FOIA for the 911 call recordings to see what the police officer was told, and a complaint.

Have an OC dinner. Just disconnect it from the Oakton Terry Stop. And have it somewhere else to avoid confrontationalism.

vrwmiller

imported post

Citizen wrote:
nickerj1 wrote:

No offense, but I don't think having an OC dinner in the samepolice district is an appropriate or even effective response to several 911 calls and questionable police conduct. There is no sense ingoing out in force as the first response. Especially in Fairfax County--the police in Fairfax Co. have generally been professional. These aren't Manassas or Norfolk PD.

The unprofessionalismmerits a FOIA for the 911 call recordings to see what the police officer was told, and a complaint.

Have an OC dinner. Just disconnect it from the Oakton Terry Stop. And have it somewhere else to avoid confrontationalism.
I can't say I totally disagree with Citizen. My initial reaction to this sort of response is that it is a knee-jerk reaction with an 'in your face' type of intent.

cmg266

imported post

not an "in your face" its to hopfully lighten the citizens view on people open carrying. the only reason they think that and the officer acted the way he did is because its not common enough. The more you oc in ffx county and have oc dinners the less "unusual" it seems to other people. Thus, the less reaction and confrontation you get.

VAopencarry

imported post

cmg266 wrote:
not an "in your face" its to hopfully lighten the citizens view on people open carrying. the only reason they think that and the officer acted the way he did is because its not common enough. The more you oc in ffx county and have oc dinners the less "unusual" it seems to other people. Thus, the less reaction and confrontation you get.
That is frikken hysterical!!! glad you enlightened them cmg, some people 'round here don't know anything about OC.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

cmg266 wrote:

A very quick way to enlighten is to send a complaint, well worded and civil, reminding that dispatchers are supposed to ask what the man is doing with the gun, and having the police reminded at roll call that OC is legal and mere OC does not merit a Terry Stop.

The dispatchers can tell callers that OC is legal. The officers can learn not to Terry Stop for mere OC.

Once these are done, every caller gets educated by the dispatchers. And a police officer who missed the earlier briefing or forgot stops Terry Stopping for mere OC. What more canwe ask for?

Much better sequence in that it addresses the exact problems.

swatpro911

imported post

Just to be on the safe side, why not call the police station and let them know OC'iers going to be there have a good time and there is no need for police presense. I bet the dispatcher would love it.:cool:That way police will know that its ok to open carry in VA. I bet some officers still dont know.