• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oakton OC Dinner - 2007

cmg266

imported post

yea run it through roll call at the sunday meeting just to be an teh safe side :) SO people names?!?!?! guns @?@?@? how can I recognize you? No I wont be looking for :celebrateso dont try it!

vrwmiller

imported post

cmg266 wrote:
not an "in your face" its to hopfully lighten the citizens view on people open carrying. the only reason they think that and the officer acted the way he did is because its not common enough. The more you oc in ffx county and have oc dinners the less "unusual" it seems to other people. Thus, the less reaction and confrontation you get.
I agree. The more OC is done, the less unusual it is for someone to see someone with a gun. Is the appropriate response to bring 20 people to a local restaurant for dinner an appropriate response? I don't know...maybe it is, maybe it isn't....it's all in the perception.

What I take away from this is if I find myself or have an opportunity to be in or around Oakton, I will be sure to OC. Another thing I have taken away from the recent stops/incidents is that the 911 call-takers/dispatchers need to ask more questions about what is going on. It only makes sense to get as much information as possible because LEO lives could 'potentially' be on the line and they need everything they can get in order to respond appropriately.

Just because OC is less unusual in a particular municipality does not necessarily mean that people won't call 911. Therefore, more needs to be done further up the line. Dispatchers and call-takers need to know the law and have the capacity to inform the public calling what is lawful and what is not.

cmg266

imported post

So whats the count were still on right? how many peple are coming just state your first name and what you will be packing so I can know what some of you look like (by the caliber of your weapon.) :?

sjhipple

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
Does anyone know the District station address?? I'll stop by there that am and notify them in person.

This seems unnecessary. There are OC dinners all the time and no one goes and gets permission beforehand. I see no reason not to just go, enjoy an evening, and assume the cops will follow the law. If they don't, show them the law and they'll eventually leave. After that, each person eating can file their own complaint.

What's the big deal? Why treat this dinner different than any other?

--edit--

it seems going around kissing the PD's butt is re-enforcing bad behavior. We don't go around checking in with other PD's....why do it with the bad behaved ones? This is just plain, f***ing stupid. They'll figure out OCers are there soon enough, judging by the volume of phone calls.

Citizen, it's not a one or the other. People can go eat dinner AND go about the normal diplomatic routes.

Marco

imported post

no need for harsh words.

:?:?
rainbow.gif
island.gif

sjhipple

imported post

How about if any individual wants to get permission to enter Oakton, they can do so on an individual basis rather than doing it for the whole group.

This whole idea seems perposterous :quirky. It's a good idea to educate local PD, but seems a horrible idea to act like we're doing something wrong by "warning" them ahead of time. It's an especially horrible idea to do it for the worst behaved PD's and not the best behaved.

when they have enough incidents and complaints, they'll check the damn law themselves and figure it out.

PS: I should be there.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Since we never have made it a policy to give the police a heads up about exercising our rights I don't think we should start now. OTOH if in the event that someone starts giving the OC diners a hard time ala Tonys, I say then you should give them a call. Given the track record of FCPD I'd say this past incident was just a fluke. Nevertheless it doesn't hurt for us to have get togethers, put me down as a maybe for Sunday.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Remember, letting police know - calling attention in any way - is what groups do when they WANT attention.

The purpose of these dinners has been to allow a group of people to meet face-to-face, have a pleasant meal, talk to one another, and socialize. The idea is NOT to provoke anything.

Still not sure whether we'll attend or not; I just got back late last night from a business trip,and much will depend on how much I get done over the weekend.

IanB

imported post

Make sure y'all bring your voice recorders, if we don't show up with 5 or more I'm not gonna be happy!

TrueBrit

imported post

ama-gi wrote:
Agent19 wrote:
Does anyone know the District station address?? I'll stop by there that am and notify them in person.

This seems unnecessary. There are OC dinners all the time and no one goes and gets permission beforehand. I see no reason not to just go, enjoy an evening, and assume the cops will follow the law. If they don't, show them the law and they'll eventually leave. After that, each person eating can file their own complaint.

--edit--

it seems going around kissing the PD's butt is re-enforcing bad behavior. We don't go around checking in with other PD's....why do it with the bad behaved ones? This is just plain, f***ing stupid. They'll figure out OCers are there soon enough, judging by the volume of phone calls.

Citizen, it's not a one or the other. People can go eat dinner AND go about the normal diplomatic routes.

No concern of mine whether the cops are notified in advance or not of an OC dinner, but it sets a dangerous precedent, IMHO. Bear this in mind:

FREE MEN DO NOT ASK PERMISSION TO OBEY THE LAW!

A little quote from Mr. Stollenwerk, if I remember correctly!

TrueBrit.

sjhipple

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:
No concern of mine whether the cops are notified in advance or not of an OC dinner, but it sets a dangerous precedent, IMHO. Bear this in mind:

TrueBrit.
you didn't read the whole thread did you.:banghead:

Why are you so insistant that we go around asking permission like children?? Isn't the reason we open carry to show the world that it's not criminal?? Asking permission is you saying that you think there's something wrong with it and you want to make sure the masters are ok with it.

Again, as I said, why REWARD bad behavior?? We don't pussyfoot around the PD's that follow the law...why pussyfoot around the ones that REFUSE to follow the law??

TrueBrit

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
TrueBrit wrote:
ama-gi wrote:
Agent19 wrote:

--edit--

TrueBrit.
you didn't read the whole thread did you.:banghead:

Well, I thought I read the thread, but I guess I missed something! I just threw my observation into the mix, since I see no reason to inform ANYONE in advance of a lawful activity! Merely an opinion, nothing more,and probably worth as much as you paid me for it!;)

Best wishes

TrueBrit.