• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just What DOES Happen to Those Fingerprints?

Bonker

imported post

A question regarding CC and the requisite fingerprinting necessary for certification.

I happen to be one of those people who guards his privacy and his personal identification data as precious and very private. Some people are very casual with their private, personal or other biometric data. Not this boy!! That information is as private and as confidential to me as any personal information gets – especially in an age where computer digitization is getting more common, and Big Brother is getting ever more invasive and intrusive, if not blatantly fascistic.

Having said that, I wanted to know if someone could tell me: When someone decides to get their CCW permit, what ultimately happens to those finger prints that are taken? Are they digitized? Are they not? Are they filed with the Feds or not? And if so, how many federal "alphabet" agencies get that information? Where does that information go to, and where does it stop? In short, does my state share that info with the feds, or is it kept private info by my state?

Please back up your response with supporting documentation as I am not interested in people just guessing at the answer. Thanks.

drhink

imported post

ARS 13-3112 Paragraph G:

G. On receipt of a concealed weapon permit application, the department of public safety shall conduct a check of the applicant's criminal history record pursuant to section 41-1750. The department of public safety may exchange fingerprint card information with the federal bureau of investigation for federal criminal history record checks.

Note the word "may". Don't know if the FBI retains them or not; I'm guessing probably everything submitted to AFIS is being kept as part of the Partiot Act.

DPS does diitize and keep them in a dedicated database. When you renew your permit, they do a new state and federal background check including checking for afingerprint match against several criminal databases:

Arizona Criminal Justice Information System (ACJIS)
National Crime Information Center (NCIC)
Automatic Fingerprint Information System (AFIS) - run by the FBI