Thread: Need a head start.

Post imported post

I was told by a Fresno County Sheriff's Dept. person (by phone) that there is a state law that makes it legal to carry in un-incorporated areas while camping, hiking, horse back riding etc. I was also told by a Tulare County officer that it was allowed there also. Would someone please advise the best link to search for this law, if it exists?

Itmay be the opposite. It could be an interpretation that there is no law against this practice. I just want to clarify this issue. Hopefully I will be able to carry a copy of this law in writing.

My wife and I are going to get involved in "horse camping" and I want to go protected. Our first trip will be to the wilderness area between Yosemite and Sequoia. The Sheriff’s deputy in Tulare said it best. “We have a lot of bears, snakes, some mountain lions, among others, and also a few two legged snakes up here.”

I would greatly appreciate anyones help.

Mike

Founder's Club Member MudCamper's Avatar

Post imported post

Half the threads here have your answer, including:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/4842.html

Regarding yourYosemite hike, if you are in a National Park, you cannot carry. If you're in National Forest or BLM, you can unless that Forest has restrictions. If you're in a wilderness area in a NF, you can most likely open carry loaded. Read the flyer.

Post imported post

Dirtbos wrote:
    I was told by a Fresno County Sheriff's Dept. person (by phone) that there is a state law that makes it legal to carry in un-incorporated areas while camping, hiking, horse back riding etc. I was also told by a Tulare County officer that it was allowed there also. Would someone please advise the best link to search for this law, if it exists?

Itmay be the opposite. It could be an interpretation that there is no law against this practice. I just want to clarify this issue. Hopefully I will be able to carry a copy of this law in writing.

My wife and I are going to get involved in "horse camping" and I want to go protected. Our first trip will be to the wilderness area between Yosemite and Sequoia. The Sheriff’s deputy in Tulare said it best. “We have a lot of bears, snakes, some mountain lions, among others, and also a few two legged snakes up here.”

I would greatly appreciate anyones help.

Mike

I think its pretty interesting the Fresno County Sheriff says there's a 'state law' making open carry legal in incorporated areas. My local sheriff hands out a policy that basically implies the same.

The fact is, there is no law prohibiting open carry of a firearm in any part of California. (Maybe the next time you see them, you could ask him to cite the code where an unloaded exposed pistol in a belt holster is prohibited.)

There are state restrictions however-on concealed firearms (PC12025), loaded firearms (PC12031), possession near schools (PC626.9)-- possession in State or National Parks and of course- the post office.

Here's the AG's office link to firearms law...

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

Post imported post

Thanks for the info. I'll take a look this evening.

The Fresno person was giving me second hand information. She called one of the deputies on "mountain duty" and then relayed the message back to me. And then there is me. I may not be accurate in my restating what was said.

Both Fresno and Tulare counties seem to be relatively gun friendly. Even in L A County where I live (due to circumstances beyond my control) some of the officers here will look the other way if they find a firearm in your car (just between you and me ). They may lecture you, but they are sympathetic to the need for self defense.

My uncle built the city hall building in Redding many years ago. I have a lot of relatives there and in the surrounding areas. I would love to move there, but the wife wants to stay close to the Grandchild. That’s important too, so she wins.