• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OCDO

Johnboy

imported post

Hi all. first off i would like to thank whoever created this wonderful playground of a forum that has now consumed my after work life.

I just recently purchased my first pistol. A springfield XD 45. i am happy with it and plan to buy many more. i have yet to apply for my CPL but that will be happening this weekend.

Since i bought it and dont ahve my CPL i knew i could OC but was still a little fuzzy on the details. this site has cleared up almost all of my questions. my main question is this;

For open carry, is the law specific to what type of holster you are allowed to use. becuause the main holster i have is a UTG shoulder holster, and being left handed i am unable to use the holster that is supplied with the SA XD45.

Would i be violating the law if i were to use my shoulder holster? Could that be considered brandishing?

my last question is;

im located in monroe/snohomish area in snohomish county and was wondering where exactly i have to go to apply to get my cpl. also, how long has it taken those in my area (snohomish county) to recieve their CPL? was it mailed or picked up in person.

thanks in advance for all the help i hope i will recieve. i will definatly be here for a long time and hope to soon share some OC stories down the road.

~Johnboy

joeroket

imported post

To answer your first question the law does not indicate what type of holster you need to carry in. It does not even require a holster to carry. There has been a court that has indicated, the fishorman case, that mexican carry with the hammer back could be considered as a type of carry to warrant alarm.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.270

The second answer is if you live within a city's limits then you can apply at the local law enforcement office or the county sheriff. If you live in the county then you must apply at the county sheriff.

"(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:

(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;

(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or

(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident."

Johnboy

imported post

joeroket wrote:
To answer your first question the law does not indicate what type of holster you need to carry in. It does not even require a holster to carry. There has been a court that has indicated, the fishorman case, that mexican carry with the hammer back could be considered as a type of carry to warrant alarm.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.270

The second answer is if you live within a city's limits then you can apply at the local law enforcement office or the county sheriff. If you live in the county then you must apply at the county sheriff.

"(13) A person may apply for a concealed pistol license:

(a) To the municipality or to the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in a municipality;

(b) To the county in which the applicant resides if the applicant resides in an unincorporated area; or

(c) Anywhere in the state if the applicant is a nonresident."

thanks, i kinda figured about the holster, but wanted to be safe. i have been told by a few people about having to go to everett to the courthouse to apply for a CPL, but wasnt sure if it was true.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I wouldn't use a shoulder holster for general open carry. There are some holsters out there for southpaw carry on the belt. XD45, good choice, Unfortunately there isn't too tremendous amount of selection yet, however Safariland makes some very good Level 3 retention holsters for that gun.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I applied for my CPLat the County Courthouse in Everett last month.Since I live outside the cityLimits that was my only option.

It took 14 days forit to show up in my mailbox even though I was told on the spot that I had passed the BG Checks.

joeroket

imported post

xpun8 wrote:
Go to Monroe PD. My buddy had is in 7 full days, about 2weeks ago.

Welcome to OCDO.
He can't go to Monroe PD unless he lives inside the city limits. I have had both of mine, I let it lapse for a couple years once, in less than 5 days from the Sheriff.

Johnboy

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
I wouldn't use a shoulder holster for general open carry. There are some holsters out there for southpaw carry on the belt. XD45, good choice, Unfortunately there isn't too tremendous amount of selection yet, however Safariland makes some very good Level 3 retention holsters for that gun.
i figured that using my shoulder holster would cause too much af an alarm. ill take a look at safariland and see what they have. thanks

Johnboy

imported post

Right Wing Wacko wrote:
I applied for my CPLat the County Courthouse in Everett last month.Since I live outside the cityLimits that was my only option.

It took 14 days forit to show up in my mailbox even though I was told on the spot that I had passed the BG Checks.

thanks, im alright with playing the waiting game. ive already put it off for over a year now so 2 weeks or so is fine. maybe ill be a lucky one and walk out the door with it. :celebrate

G27

imported post

Good to see you on the board. If you have any questions feel free to ask away! It's how we all learned our stuff. I would recommend getting your license asap, though. It makes life so much easier. Unloading your gun everytime you get in and out of your car is not only annoying, but poses a bigger risk forND.

sccrref

imported post

Lonnie Wilson wrote:
You may want to look at Gould & Goodrich. You can download their catalog and size chart. Their customer service is pretty good. I have purchased 3 holsters from them so far. My only complait is that there is not a tensioning device in the holster. I am not sure about holsters for lefties but you could give them a call if you are unable to figure it out from the catalog. I got the model 803 as I can wear it for either a regular draw or a cross draw. They are one of the few places I found that had a holster to fit my Baretta PX4 storm.

amlevin

imported post

I have one for my Sig P-229. For me it has been a comfortable holster. As to someone running by and grabbing I doubt it is a problem. The holster has a thumbreak retention device so it is fairly secure. The only issue I have is that it is hard, if not impossible, to reholster single handed. For that reason I prefer my Blackhawk SERPA. The Galco is more comfortable, the SERPA is more secure.

You pick.

Johnboy

imported post

the serpa looks nice but, i need something a little more secure. i only need a hip holster for when im oc'in but will use my shoulder holster when cc'in. might just go with the Galco holster i pointed out.

thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and all the excellent and very welcomed advice.

xpun8

imported post

I have the BlackHawk Serpa as well. I will say this about it...if...as you put it "some thievin bastage running by and pulling it out" or tried...they'd probably run off with your pants. I am far from an expert on retention, but I'd say that a large portion of retention is awareness. In order to thieve from it you'd have to press the button and lift straight up, something would be incredibly hard to do on a grab and go.

expvideo

imported post

I'm not a fan of the Serpa style, and I like actual leather over the tactical stuff, so I use a galco Fletch. It works very well for CC, and it works well for OC as well. Got a great deal on it at Sam's in Everett. They have some sweet deals on Galco products, and a large selection, especially for something as popular as an XD.

G27

imported post

If you don't think a Serpa has good retention, you've obviously have never tried one. There is no possible way to pull it out without either ripping your pants off or pushing that button on the side. I was weary about the retention and I tried my damnest to pull it out but it is impossible. Serpa's are great, but unless you are wearing a jacket CC is pretty null. But good thing this is an OC forum! :p

amlevin

imported post

Johnboy wrote:
the serpa looks nice but, i need something a little more secure. i only need a hip holster for when im oc'in but will use my shoulder holster when cc'in. might just go with the Galco holster i pointed out.

thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and all the excellent and very welcomed advice.

More secure than a Serpa? It is as secure as your belt is. Even when used as a paddle, there are three "Hooks" that grab the belt securing it.

I too like leather but the Serpa is stronger than the retaining strap on the Galco COP-3. It is not all that uncommon for the thumbreak retention to either come unsnapped or not be properly snapped when holstering the gun. With the SERPA there is no question.

Either one is a good holster. Pick what you like but don't downgrade the SERPA because you think it is less secure. Far from it.

Johnboy

imported post

xpun8 wrote:
I have the BlackHawk Serpa as well. I will say this about it...if...as you put it "some thievin bastage running by and pulling it out" or tried...they'd probably run off with your pants. I am far from an expert on retention, but I'd say that a large portion of retention is awareness. In order to thieve from it you'd have to press the button and lift straight up, something would be incredibly hard to do on a grab and go.
i guess i shouldve read a little more into the serpa specs. i didnt know about the retaining system on it. so on that note, i think i may get the serpa, not only is it more secure apparently, but its pretty badass looking. i didnt mean to upset anyone by talking bad about the serpa, im still new to pistol holsters and what not.

g27- do you know if sams has the serpa in stock? i wouldnt mind trying one out first. thats actually where i bought my XD from. great store, with some cool guys sellin too.