• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help! Can someone clarify SB 217?

Superlite27

imported post

O.K. Excuse me for being obtuse, but I just read the text of Senate Bill 217 which says something illegible to me in court jargon about open carry. There was a notation that SB 217 has been combined with SB 457, which says something in court jargon about courts being able to appoint marshals. So I read SB 457 and couldn't find any confusing courtspeak concerning open carry.

Can someone versed in courtspeak please put things in plain English for my simple mind?

What does SB 217 do?

Is it still SB 217, or is it now SB 457?

Have these (or it) passed?

What does its passage (or failure to pass) mean?

Thank you in advance for your superior translation service!

drur

imported post

SB 217 and 457 both made it out of committee and were combined into one bill. The bill never made it to the floor of the Senate so it died at the end of the legislative session. This occured during the last session. The bill is dead and must be re-introduced.

What the bill would have done is provide us (Missourians) with FULL firearms preemption. Currently the state has partial preemption with all matters relating to firearms governed at the state level with the exception of open carry and discharge.

The rest of what you are requesting is irrelevant at this point. We are working to re-word the bill and get in introduced for the next legislative session beginning in January of 2008.