• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VAF

expvideo

imported post

So I'm buying an AK47 on layaway, and I wanted to be able to walk out the door with it when I make my last payment. The only problem is that I always get a "hold" when they run a NICS check on me. I never get denied, but I always get a hold. So I asked what I can do about this, and the guy at Wade's gave me a number for the FBI NICS center and told me about getting a "personal identification number".

So I gave them a call and asked about it, and they didn't explain much, just asked for a mailing address and told me they would send me information. So about a week later, I got a manilla envilope from the FBI, with an application form and a fingerprint card, as well as a letter explaining the VAF or Voluntary Appeal File.

What the Voluntary Appeal File does is to keep your information on file, under a personal identification number that you put on your paperwork when the guy at the gun shop calls in your NICS check (make sure he speaks with customer service, not the automated system). Basically, when you get a NICS check, the FBI has to delete the information immediately. They can't keep a record of how often you are buying guns or anything like that, so the information is destroyed immediately after the purchase. Therefor, when you get a "hold" and a few days later it clears up, you're just going to get the same thing next time, because the cause of the problem isn't kept on file. With the VAF, however, the cause of the problem, and the fact that you are cleared, are kept on file (per your request). If there is a new reason to hold or deny your purchase, the NICS check will still catch it, so this isn't a loophole for criminals.

Anyway, as much as I'm not a fan of giving the .gov my personal information, I'm really excited about this program. It's great for people that have consistant trouble with the NICS check. For example if your name is Osama Bin Laden, but you aren't "the" Osama Bin Laden, you are going to get a "hold" so that they can make sure of that. With the VAF, you can give your PIN number and avoid the whole situation.

So what do you guys think?

joeroket

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
I am very troubled by the fact that you get flagged every time... that would piss me off... any idea why???
If he does not give a SSN then it could very well be a flag on that his name that is caused by someone else having the same name.

expvideo

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
I am very troubled by the fact that you get flagged every time... that would piss me off... any idea why???

Yeah, it's really frustrating. And I keep hearing things like "well the more guns you buy the less that will happen to you". That's BS. The FBI deletes the information right after the check, so until the reason for the delay goes away, you'll get the delay every time.

And I could speculate on why I get delayed, but I don't know for anything forfact, and I probably wouldn't want to talk about it on a forum if I did.

expvideo

imported post

T-RaV wrote:
Do you have the option of having the VAF removed once the discrepancy has been resolved?
Yes. At any time you can request to be removed from the VAF and your records will be destroyed.

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I used to get a delay for about four or five guns over a year. Then all of a sudden no more delay, and now it is FAST. But I also give my SSN as well. Figure the gubmint issued the SSN, no sense in not sharing it with them. Private business, that's another thing. I still get pissed about having to give all that crap to my bank for the privalege of putting money in there...

But the PIN sounds like a great thing if you get delayed a lot. Randy at Lynnwood Gun ran my SKS purchase yesterday through a website, but I also gave him my CPL so don't know if that made a difference.

Steve

Agent 47

imported post

The CPL doesn't make any difference whatsoever with a long gun purchase The dealer doesn't even relay the CPL info onthe NICS check.

Okie Outlaw

imported post

Agent 47 wrote:
The CPL doesn't make any difference whatsoever with a long gun purchase The dealer doesn't even relay the CPL info onthe NICS check.
True, but it should make a difference. The FBI runs a check on you for the CPL. Seems like double jeopardy. :banghead:

Okie Outlaw

imported post

FWIW, EXP, I just filed for my VAF. Hell, my data (and most everyone reading this) is spread here and yon, what with military service, banks, credit cards, online purchases, CPL, etc. There is no such thing as privacy anymore. I have nothing to hide, so I don't care if the FBI has another file on me. Sure, it pisses me off to be delayed, especially for shotguns, so the VAF is my next best option.

joshmmm

imported post

Assuming you have never been "delayed" can you still do the voluntary appeal file just to be sure that you won't be delayed in the future, or would it be pointless as the voluntary appeal file only has the answer to a specific delay so it would have no information anyway?

Okie Outlaw

imported post

joshmmm wrote:
Assuming you have never been "delayed" can you still do the voluntary appeal file just to be sure that you won't be delayed in the future, or would it be pointless as the voluntary appeal file only has the answer to a specific delay so it would have no information anyway?
They give you a pin number after getting the VAF. Supposedly you give the gun dealer your pin number and when they call in the check, it sails through without hassle. However, we are talking government here...I guess I'm cynical.