• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Robbery stopped, homeowner shot in Columbus

dng

State Researcher
imported post

At least he was able to keep his wife safe, but self defense situations don't always work out for the good guys the way we'd like. Hopefully police are able to catch these guys.

Police Search For Gunmen After Break-In, Shooting
Sep 24 2007 12:42PM
News_PicardRdShooting_160.jpg

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Police were searching for three armed men who broke into a house on the city's east side Monday morning.

Cynthia Davis said she had just gone into the basement of her home on Picard Road when she heard the back door being kicked in, 10TV News reported.

"I guess God sent me to the basement right at that moment, because I would have been sitting there when they kicked the door in," Davis said. "I had just been sitting on the couch there moments before."

[align=center]SLIDESHOW: Images From Scene[/align]

Davis' husband, Frank Watson, yelled to her to stay downstairs and call 911, 10TV News reported.

Watson, 60, picked up his gun and started towards the men. When he saw the burglars, one of the men opened fire, police said.

"Nothing was taken," Davis said. "When they saw Frank with a pistol, he scared them off and they started to run."

News_FrankWatson_160.jpg
Davis said she could not tell Watson had been shot at first.

"He said, 'They shot me,' and that's when I could see his T-shirt was soaked with blood," Davis said.

Watson (pictured, left) was taken to Grant Medical Center in serious condition.

Davis told 10TV that her peace of mind and sense of security is gone.

"I think tragedies of this type don't happen in specific socio-economic neighborhoods any more," Davis said. "If they're happening in this neighborhood, they're happening everywhere."

Stay with 10TV News and 10TV.com for additional information.

Reported by Patrick Bell

http://www.10tv.com/?sec=news&story=sites/10tv/content/pool/200709/619474916.html

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I don't think the issue was getting to the gun. It seems that he wasn't quick enough with the trigger. It's hard to say, because the story leaves out quite a few details, but I would think if you are going to grab a gun and confront someone, you need to be ready to shoot them as well. But it's hard to say without knowing more.

slidelock15

imported post

Umm, lessons learned, if your door is being kicked in, it's already passed the decision point. find cover and open fire as soon as a clear shot presents itself. Oh wait! Disregard if you hear loud profanity, explosions and brite lights, its just those silly guys on the swat team!

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

Massad Ayoob made a point out of situations like this: I'm paraphrasing but it went something like this, "If the intruder clearlyhas a weapon, and is in a postion to use it, shoot him immediately, even if it means putting the bullet into his back."

uncoolperson

imported post

slidelock15 wrote:
Umm, lessons learned, if your door is being kicked in, it's already passed the decision point. find cover and open fire as soon as a clear shot presents itself. Oh wait! Disregard if you hear loud profanity, explosions and brite lights, its just those silly guys on the swat team!

a couple of years a goa friends friend was comming home after a hard night drinking, and accidently went to the wrong house, after his keys wouldn't work he kicked in the door to be met by a guy with a gun. this guy after seeing he wasn't armed shot and killed him.

a little more restraint and assessing the situation can get you harmed, but it can also keep you from doing the unnecessary.

(not to say kicking in my door is a safe idea)

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
slidelock15 wrote:

a couple of years a goa friends friend was comming home after a hard night drinking, and accidently went to the wrong house, after his keys wouldn't work he kicked in the door to be met by a guy with a gun. this guy after seeing he wasn't armed shot and killed him.

a little more restraint and assessing the situation can get you harmed, but it can also keep you from doing the unnecessary.

Sorry, but the man who shot him was completely right in doing so. That story is nothing more than a lesson on why not to drink yourself stupid.

As far as the original post, it sounds to me like he was hoping the gun would scare the guys off with out having to fire. Now I'm just speculating, but that makes sense to me. Apparently it worked for the most part. Hopefully he survives the shot and they catch the bad guys.... :?

dng

State Researcher
imported post

It's uncool that your friend's friend got shot, but if I were the homeowner of the house, anda guy had just kicked in my door and is coming in my house, I'm shooting him. I would hate to shoot a drunk guy who is mistaken about what house he's at, but if you're going to drink, you have to be prepared for the consequences. Don't get fall-down drunk to the point of being incoherent, don't kick in a door, or you might get shot just like this poor guy.

uncoolperson

imported post

DreQo wrote:
uncoolperson wrote:
slidelock15 wrote:

Sorry, but the man who shot him was completely right in doing so. That story is nothing more than a lesson on why not to drink yourself stupid.

As far as the original post, it sounds to me like he was hoping the gun would scare the guys off with out having to fire. Now I'm just speculating, but that makes sense to me. Apparently it worked for the most part. Hopefully he survives the shot and they catch the bad guys.... :?

i relize this, i was just saying... blindly letting loose isn't always the greatest idea

pulled the 1911 on my brothers girlfriend breaking in through the window one night, we locked the doors and she wanted to see him but didn't want to wake everyone up.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I'm fortunate. You have a more interesting life than I do. I have never pulled a gun on anyone, and I don't know anyone personally that has. (other than LEOs)

uncoolperson

imported post

dngreer wrote:
I'm fortunate. You have a more interesting life than I do. I have never pulled a gun on anyone, and I don't know anyone personally that has. (other than LEOs)

it seems as though you think i'm lying, even though i am some guy on the internet without a face.... i assure you all that i can, that i'm not.

I'm also not going to knock the guy that shot my friend's friend (there was a child in the house).... just pointing out sometimes reacting before completly taking in the situation isn't always the best idea, and sometimes thinking too much get's you killed.

jumping to point out that the guy in the story should have started shooting immediatly, might have been a little to quick on the draw.... as what if it was someone that just went to the wrong home, or this or that.

Demarest

imported post

Why are we wasting time on this tangent? If your friend's friend was killed on sight, then you have no idea why he was kicking in the door.

dng

State Researcher
imported post

uncoolperson wrote:
it seems as though you think i'm lying, even though i am some guy on the internet without a face.... i assure you all that i can, that i'm not.
Not at all. I'm sorry it came across that way. I was just making a statement, not an indightment.
I'm also not going to knock the guy that shot my friend's friend (there was a child in the house).... just pointing out sometimes reacting before completly taking in the situation isn't always the best idea, and sometimes thinking too much get's you killed.

jumping to point out that the guy in the story should have started shooting immediatly, might have been a little to quick on the draw.... as what if it was someone that just went to the wrong home, or this or that.

sccrref

imported post

Is deadly force in defense of property legal in Ohio? If not, that might be the reason for the delay to pull the trigger. Are the intruders armed, thereby making it okay to shoot them. The criminal has a slight edge in this department. They know what they are doing and should have already decided what they are going to do if they encounter anyone in the house.

In VA just because they broke in does not justify deadly force. :(Keep a throw away weapon handy at home. Officer, it was the damdest thing you ever saw. Just as I was pulling the trigger, he turned around. :shock:

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you are allowed to use deadly force in defense of property up here. OFCC is working on the self defense laws. (castle doctrine, etc.) But I know, personally, that I wouldprobably shoot a guy who just kicked in my door and have to face the music afterwardsrather thanriskinggetting shot because I delayed and wouldn't pull the trigger.

But this is like someone that does not have kids telling someone who does have kids how to raise them. You don't know until you go through it, and I have not ever faced a self defense situation.