• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Criminals claim Lethal Injection Cruel

Kelly J

imported post

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/25/scotus.roundup.ap/index.html?eref=rss_us

Every time I see things like this, I can not help but wonder that in the case of the victim in these cases, where the out cry of cruel and unusual punishment for them was?
It is absolutely obscene to see what these Criminals are doing to the Court System, by playing Jail House Lawyer.
Our Criminal Justice System is both a farce and injustice, abused by both the Courts, and the criminals, the judges are letting convicted rapist off with a slap on the wrist, Child Molesters are put on probation which they fail to do or find a way around it, people that are guilty of and have been convicted of murder are serving less time than a petty shoplifter.
The bottom line is pretty simple if you can find, or afford the right lawyer you are pretty sure they will if at all possible shop for the best, most sympathetic judge for your case and in most of those cases the criminal will serve none to little time.
I am not very tolerant of these situations, and to be perfectly honest with you I think that if a Police Officer and his partner witness a criminal kill a person they should be allowed to kill them on the spot, done deal! I can already hear the out cry to my statement, of how wrong that would be to deny the criminal his day in court but how about the person that criminal just killed where is their chance to be represented by a higher authority to repeal their death at the hands of the criminal, to the best of my knowledge if you are killed there is no do over available as a second chance!

imperialism2024

imported post

Eh, with the "law" enforcement officers we have today, I wouldn't trust a word out of any of their mouths. I used to think the criminal justice system was very poor in this country, but then I realized that with the reliance on police testimonies and skewed evidence, all of the innocent people put away for a few months would be in much worse shape if our criminal justice system were more efficient. It's one thing to spend 10 years in prison because the police needed a scapegoat for their execution and they chose you, it's another entirely to be executed as a result of corruption.

Once again, in a perfect world...

Legba

imported post

Well, duh, it's cruel,in the most basic sense- it's designed to kill people - but then locking someone in prison is "cruel" also. Arresting people on bullshit charges and seizing their property without due process is cruel. Having a crazy woman screw around on you and get knocked up by god-knows-who and try to pass it as yours is cruel... sorry - a tad bitter...

At least this convicted killer's pain will be over at the end of it. I still have to wake up tomorrow.

-ljp

Kelly J

imported post

Why are we worried about the feelings of some dirt bag that had absolutely no concern for the feelings of the Victim or thier family, I really don't care if it hurts to be executed nor would I want to change it if it did, but I am the majority of one and that really don't carry much weight.

Besides dead is dead, sentence carried out end of story.

thnycav

imported post

They said it was the combination of medications they where using and they have been using them for years. The good thing is that through the miracle of modern medicine they can mix up a new cocktail for them that has no pain when they give them their much deserved dirt nap.

WhiteFeather

imported post

Kelly J I understand where you are coming from. Personally I believe in the power of public exicution. Seeing someone hang at the gallows screams "This is what happens when you break the law." And I think less people would be inclined to do so if said penalty dangled infront of their very faces.

On the other topic although not perfect the justice system was designed for a reason. And if the Judges and Jurers held up their end of the contract and dealt justice per the Constitution I don't think we would have the injustice we have now.

As for the other end I do feel there are far more corrupt people than there are corrupt cops.

Lastly don't you miss the good ol' days when cheating was punishible. Crimes of passion and so on...

PavePusher

imported post

I think a big part of the problem lies in peoples definition of terms. Punishment, by definition, is cruel and unusual. If it wasn't cruel and unusual, it wouldn't be punishment. (It would also be a indicative of a very sick society.) Punishment is supposed to hurt, to be a negative incentive. What do they want us to do, sing the buggers to death? (With my voice, that'd be worthy of a lawsuit...):p

On the gripping hand, if someone deserves to die for their transgressions, one bullet to the back of the head seems pretty quick, painless, efficient, foolproof and economical.

Tomahawk

imported post

Kelly J wrote:
Why are we worried about the feelings of some dirt bag ...
Because the guys who wrote the Bill of Rights said so, and your state signed off on it:
Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
Of course, it's not the feelings of the "dirtbag" we are worried about, but the effect of arbitrary and cruel punishment on a society which believes in the rule of law. The dirtbag may just be trying to stall for time or get his jollies making the courts jump through hoops for him, but it is important that we always keep an eye on what our government does in our name.

I know a lot of people who say things like "I got no problem with prisoners ass-raping each other" and "cops should be allowed to shoot them on the spot". Saying things like this means you don't believe in the rule of law, but in simple revenge and cruelty.

The author of the 8th ammendment undeerstood that the government's treatment of suspected and convicted criminals must be civilized and, most importantly, restricted and limited. It's just another check on the government's power, againstthe day when they throw you in the can for posting the wrong material on the internet or having the wrong opinion or owning the wrong gun.

imperialism2024

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I know a lot of people who say things like "I got no problem with prisoners ass-raping each other" and "cops should be allowed to shoot them on the spot". Saying things like this means you don't believe in the rule of law, but in simple revenge and cruelty.

The author of the 8th ammendment undeerstood that the government's treatment of suspected and convicted criminals must be civilized and, most importantly, restricted and limited. It's just another check on the government's power, againstthe day when they throw you in the can for posting the wrong material on the internet or having the wrong opinion or owning the wrong gun.
I think you really nailed it on the head there. I find it interesting how, on a board like this, where there are constantly reports of "law" enforcement officers abusing, intimidating, and fabricating charges against OCers, people would push for harsher treatment for "criminals" and for more cruelty.

I try not to let my emotions get the best of me when I hear about situations like the original post because I think, well, one day, when they come to confiscate my guns and everyone elses' guns (we all know that day is coming, sooner or later), and I end up on the wrong end of the "law", how do I want to be treated? For a group of people who so often end up on the wrong side of "law" enforcement, albeit while engaging in legal activities, it seems a bit hypocritical to call for an end to the Rule of Law for other crimes. But, then again, you wouldn't think that a group of people dedicated to personal freedom for the RKBA would advocate jailing people for their manner of dress, either. :cry:

Kelly J

imported post

Tomahawk I understand your statement but if you dig a lot deeper you will find that.

Amendment VIII

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted. Refers to beatings and such, types of treatment,not executions.

Your other points are well taken but I honestly believe that there is a major difference between the humane treatment of prisioners and the act of executing them. Humanity must be observed at all times as to the daily treatment of prisioners but the fact that these things have been taken completely out of the realm of common sence is beyond me, for example what sort of punishment is it to have access to a full weight Gym, Exercise Equiptment, Steam rooms, and things that the average person on the outside has to pay good money to have the use of plus paying through the taxes collected for the Equiptment they use, that isn't right, Alcatraz had it right you don't talk you don't do anything unless you were given permission to, that includes taking a dump or eating yor meals, if you got out of line you were disiplined on the spot that part was later stopped but the cons respected the Guards and the knew if you tried to escape a 30-30 was waiting for you.

imperialism2024

imported post

Kelly J wrote:
for example what sort of punishment is it to have access to a full weight Gym, Exercise Equiptment, Steam rooms, and things that the average person on the outside has to pay good money to have the use of plus paying through the taxes collected for the Equiptment they use, that isn't right,

That'll be the lower security and county prisons, not the maximum security and federal prisions.

Kelly J

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
Kelly J wrote:
for example what sort of punishment is it to have access to a full weight Gym, Exercise Equiptment, Steam rooms, and things that the average person on the outside has to pay good money to have the use of plus paying through the taxes collected for the Equiptment they use, that isn't right,

That'll be the lower security and county prisons, not the maximum security and federal prisions.
Be that as it may it is still wrong, Prison is supposed to be a punishment not a vacation spa, have you noticed the size of the prisoners that work out on a regular basis, they could very easily over power any pair of prison guards and they know it.

imperialism2024

imported post

molonlabetn wrote:
Maybe it is cruel... but, it's only for a moment. After that, the world isa much better place.
...until 30 years later, when one of the detectives involved writes his memoirs, and tells about how they fabricated evidence so that the department would look better than if they hadn't charged anyone at all?

Though, I will say that out of all the cruelty that happens in prison, whether just or unjust, lethal injection is probably toward the bottom of the list... I just object to the notion that just because 13 people can be fooled, one person automatically becomes the scum of the earth. Sure, in my opinion, there are people who deserve to be hung, drawn, and quartered. However, it's also my opinion that it's nearly impossible to know the complete truth about a crime, and so the cruellest of punishments should not be handed out without incredible, incredible scrutiny, a level of scrutiny that I doubt the current criminal justice system possesses.

molonlabetn

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
molonlabetn wrote:
Maybe it is cruel... but, it's only for a moment. After that, the world isa much better place.
...until 30 years later, when one of the detectives involved writes his memoirs, and tells about how they fabricated evidence so that the department would look better than if they hadn't charged anyone at all?

Though, I will say that out of all the cruelty that happens in prison, whether just or unjust, lethal injection is probably toward the bottom of the list... I just object to the notion that just because 13 people can be fooled, one person automatically becomes the scum of the earth. Sure, in my opinion, there are people who deserve to be hung, drawn, and quartered. However, it's also my opinion that it's nearly impossible to know the complete truth about a crime, and so the cruellest of punishments should not be handed out without incredible, incredible scrutiny, a level of scrutiny that I doubt the current criminal justice system possesses.
IMHO that'sno moreof a tradgedy than a murderer walking free, to later write a book about how they performed their crime... The innocent will always be at risk of being harmed by the corrupt and evil, if there was a better solution it would have been proposed by now.

Kelly J

imported post

imperialism2024 wrote:
molonlabetn wrote:

I understand what you said, and agree that there have been errors made, especially in the case of Rape, because of the now current process of DNA, which is a good thing, there have been cases of wrongful imprisionment, and one case comes to mind that I remember from a California case the Carl Chessman (I think that was his last name), but at any rate he had been on death row for something like 15 years, in the Execution chamber 3 seperate times, each time the Gov. Stayed his Execution, then the last time, the sentance was carried out, within a few weeks the party Guilty of the actual crime, confessed to it, and prooved he was in fact the Guilty party, when he was asked why he did not come forward sooner, and save Carl's life, his answer was, "I never thought you would actually go through with it".

Not an everday hapening, but it does go to the point that the system is a long way from being perfect, and inocent people have been killed, but the number of wrongfull executions, are far out numbered by the right ones getting their final justice.

No one wants to see errors made, but when you look at the situation in the court room, the person was tried before 12 honest people tried and true, given the facts, as were presented before them, and did the job asked of them to the best of their ability, and I would much rather be tried by 12, than carried by 6, any day of the week, the system isn't perfect, but it is the best we have, at this point in time.

Bolt06

imported post

Pretty soon we won’t even be able to give criminals a slap on the wrist due to the pain it will cause them, and the laws will only be used to corral and control the law abiding citizens while letting the law breakers run free. We should be going the other direction with this. Bring back some ancient punishments.. steal and you lose your hand. Rape and they cut offyour :monkey. Etc…

Weaken your punishment, strengthen your criminals. Step up your punishment, subside your criminals.

Kelly J

imported post

Bolt06 wrote:
Pretty soon we won’t even be able to give criminals a slap on the wrist due to the pain it will cause them, and the laws will only be used to corral and control the law abiding citizens while letting the law breakers run free. We should be going the other direction with this. Bring back some ancient punishments.. steal and you lose your hand. Rape and they cut offyour :monkey. Etc…

Weaken your punishment, strengthen your criminals. Step up your punishment, subside your criminals.

Personally I won't argue your take on the situation, but if they are claiming that a needle is cruel, and unusual punishment, can you imagine the out cryto your suggestion.

Every time I hear tings like this, I think back to the A** Whoopin's I got as a youngster, for the things I did wrong, and you bet they hurt, but I did learn from the experience, at least enough to try not to make a habit of making those mistakes. Pain is a motivator!

Also I remember, the young man in China, that trashed some cars, and was subjected to the punishment of canning, I have seen that done, and believe me what I got was a light tap on the buttocks comparatively speaking, and I will make a pretty sizable wager with you, that he has never even thought about a repeat performance, of that act, of wrong doing.