• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah Ends Gun Permits for Foreign Nationals

UTOC-45-44

imported post

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1870766

r8tl.gif
r8tr.gif

r8bl.gif
r8br.gif

r8tl.gif
r8tr.gif

r8bl.gif
r8br.gif

rGtl.gif
rGtr.gif

Audio Mary Richards Reporting [:31]

rGbl.gif
rGbr.gif

September 26th, 2007 @ 7:37am
Mary Richards, KSL Newsradio
Up until one month ago, if foreigners showed a hunting license to Utah authorities, they could get a concealed carry permit good for anywhere in the U.S.
But that's over now, because Utah officials found no way to check someone's criminal background in another country.
They do say most of the permit holders were business people carrying guns for protection in the U.S. Utah gun permits went to people from countries like Mongolia, Mexico and the Republic of Congo.
Only two other states, New Hampshire and Vermont, issue permits to non-U.S. residents.
The state Department of Public Safety's lawyer Rick Wyss told the Legislature's Administrative Rules Review Committee that Utah had become the state of choice for people who don't live in the United States but want to carry guns in this country.
Wyss says the backlog of applicants somewhat alarmed the department.
Currently there are about 1,000 concealed weapons permits from Utah held by residents of other countries. The permits are valid for five years.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report)

UTOC-45-44

imported post

Talked to BCI this morning and they said the the whole Concealed Carry Law is going to be overhauled at the next Legislation session

Sup3D

imported post

When you talked to them, did it sound like they were going to overhaul it in a good way or a bad way? There are some laws they need to relax in my opinion, but I always get nervous when they start touching gun laws

UTOC-45-44

imported post

I didn't get any particular vibe. The agent that I spoke with was very neutral about the whole thing.

I agree that when they start touching gun laws it's scary:X

PavePusher

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=1870766

September 26th, 2007 @ 7:37am
Mary Richards, KSL Newsradio
Up until one month ago, if foreigners showed a hunting license to Utah authorities, they could get a concealed carry permit good for anywhere in the U.S.
But that's over now, because Utah officials found no way to check someone's criminal background in another country.
They do say most of the permit holders were business people carrying guns for protection in the U.S. Utah gun permits went to people from countries like Mongolia, Mexico and the Republic of Congo.
Only two other states, New Hampshire and Vermont, issue permits to non-U.S. residents.
The state Department of Public Safety's lawyer Rick Wyss told the Legislature's Administrative Rules Review Committee that Utah had become the state of choice for people who don't live in the United States but want to carry guns in this country.
Wyss says the backlog of applicants somewhat alarmed the department.
Currently there are about 1,000 concealed weapons permits from Utah held by residents of other countries. The permits are valid for five years.
(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)
Err, when did Vermont start requiring permits, or is this just for F.N.'s? Last I knew (visited the old home grounds in April/May), no permits required for open or concealed carry. And don't they have to get some sort of check to come in to the country legally? So they should be no worse and possibly some better than the average citizen?

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:

She needs to do some additional research. I wish they were good anywhere!