• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Possession of firearms on college/university campus.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Ever since the Virginia Tech massacre, I've been thinking a lot about my safety on campus. I'm constantly running the 'what would I do if...' scenarios, and in my mind bringing a knife to a gun fight never turns out well.

So, I've been reading up and I want some feedback on my interpretation of the statutes.

Code:
(c) Subdivision (b)  does not apply to the possession of a firearm
under any of the following circumstances:
(2) When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed on the person and is in a locked
container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle.

Code:
171b...
(c) As used in this section, "state or local public building"
means a building that meets all of the following criteria:
(1) It is a building or part of a building owned or leased by the
state or local government, if state or local public employees are
regularly present for the purposes of performing their official
duties.  A state or local public building includes, but is not
limited to, a building that contains a courtroom.
(2) It is not a building or facility, or a part thereof, that is
referred to in Section 171c, 171d, 626.9, 626.95, or 626.10 of this
code, or in Section 18544 of the Elections Code.
(3) It is a building not regularly used, and not intended to be
used, by state or local employees as a place of residence.
So, if I read this right, I could carry an unloaded handgun in a locked container, and 171b doesn't apply to schools. If I'm right, I think this may be a way to not be completely disarmed when I go to class.

Please let me know if you see anything I missed or if you know of another statute I'm not aware of.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

As an afterthought, I checked the definition of 'loaded,' as we know it varies from statute to statute...

(j) For purposes of this section, a firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell, consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in, or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm. A muzzle-loader firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder.
Code:

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

If you have a California CCW, congratulations, you are completely exempt from California's gun-free schools law and the public buildings/meetings carry ban.
Penal Code §171b
(b) Subdivision (a) shall not apply to, or affect, any of the following:

(3) A person holding a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4.

(l) This section does not apply to a duly appointed peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal government who is carrying out official duties while in California, any person summoned by any of these officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while he or she is actually engaged in assisting the officer, a member of the military forces of this state or of the United States who is engaged in the performance of his or her duties, a person holding a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4, or an armored vehicle guard, engaged in the performance of his or her duties, as defined in subdivision (e) of Section 7521 of the Business and Professions Code.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

You might also consider that there might be a local campus prohibition of firearms, in addition to State law.

This has also got me thinking about the use of a locked case... It's just a hypothetical, but utilizing the locked case enables the carrier to excersize a number of exemptions... those regarding concealment, carry near or at a school, others?

What is the definition of a locked case? Is there anything prohibiting a locked case from being carried on a belt holster? Could a fullyenclosedflap holster be outfitted with a hasp and padlock and be in adherence to the law?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

WVCDL wrote:
If you have a California CCW, congratulations, you are completely exempt from California's gun-free schools law and the public buildings/meetings carry ban.

Yeah, good luck with that in San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Sacramento Counties... where issuance is restricted to celebrities, politicians and major financial contributors. This State is not yet "Shall issue", and because gun owners here are so closeted, we dont stand a chance in changing this until limits are pushed and people stand up in the face of legislative opposition.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I just stumbled across the answer to my question: 12025 (and 12026).

12025 prohibits concealing a firearm, 12026, 12026.1, & 12026.2 create some specific exemptions. Basically, I am only allowed to use the locked container exemption when directly en route to or from my residence and/or place of business (or a gun show, gun repair shop, gun range, etc.) School didn't make the list.

So, if the shit ever does hit the fan I'll be bringin' a knife to the gun fight.

MudCamper

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Yeah, CA_Lib, you've interpreted it exactly as I would. Since the firearm is in a locked case, it's not a violation of 626.9. However, you'd be in violation of 12025. 12026.1 exempts you while going to/from or traveling in your car. 12026.2 exempts you while traveling a lot of other places. But nothing (besides a ccw permit)exempts 12025 in a school.