• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'd in DT Portland last night

Phssthpok

imported post

I got a call from a friend yesterday afternoon and he wanted to go out and celebrate his promotion that just came through. He had it in mind to hit the Rock Bottom Brewery in downtown Portland for their 'pint night': $5 first pint, $2 pints after that, and you keep the glass! (killer food and good beer by the way!)

We both live in Vancouver, and he's quite familiar with me OC activities over here, but he wasn't expecting to see the 1911 on my hip when I exited his car downtown.

I'm not going to say he 'freaked' but he did express some concern over the laws on the south side of the river (Oregon). as we were standing in front of the parking sticker vending machine, I explained Oregon's state level preemtion on OC, and that governmental subdivisions could only enforce OC restrictions on LOADED firearms..."....and as you can plainly see (as I rotated my hip to display the butt of the grip to him) the gun is decidedly 'sans magazine'!"

At precisely that moment TWO Multnomah County Sherrifs happened to be walking by (behind him) which means given the elevated volume of my speaking (traffic noise) there was no way they could have NOT heard what I said or seen the pistol.:shock:

But as far as I could tell they didn't even blink at my OC. Neither did the OTHER two Multnomah County Sherrifs that were following the first two about ten paces behind.;)

(nor did the 'meter maid' that came around the corner as we left the area...AFTER he put the parking sticker that I pressured him to buy on the window.)

A couple of staff in the restaurant widened their eyes briefly at my OC, but nobody said anything. All in all a decidedly uneventful evening.:cool:

yankees98a

imported post

I am very pro-OC, however trying to do things on a technicality (unloaded ok, loaded bad) while drinking gives a very bad impression. Also driving after drinking (assuming drinks were cheap so you had more than a few) also isn't the greatest idea

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

yankees98a wrote:
I am very pro-OC, however trying to do things on a technicality (unloaded ok, loaded bad) while drinking gives a very bad impression. Also driving after drinking (assuming drinks were cheap so you had more than a few) also isn't the greatest idea
Excuse me, but please point out where, exactly, in his post where he said that he was drinking, particularly "more than a few". Then point out where he said he was drinking and driving.
Thanks.

yankees98a

imported post

"I got a call from a friend yesterday afternoon and he wanted to go out and celebrate his promotion that just came through. He had it in mind to hit the Rock Bottom Brewery in downtown Portland for their 'pint night': $5 first pint, $2 pints after that, and you keep the glass! (killer food and good beer by the way!)"

Two people going to a brewery for their pint night

Talks how the place they are going to has killer food and GOOD BEER

standing in front of the parking sticker vending machine - implies one of the two of them drove.

Perhaps I'm readying too much, but it shows he was drinking for a celebration. The only variable is how much they had. But 2 pints (40 oz) can have an effect as that would be 3-4 drafts. 3 pints would be 60 oz = to 5-6 drafts.

KBCraig

imported post

yankees98a wrote:
Perhaps I'm readying too much, but it shows he was drinking for a celebration. The only variable is how much they had. But 2 pints (40 oz) can have an effect as that would be 3-4 drafts. 3 pints would be 60 oz = to 5-6 drafts.
You're thinking in Imperial measure. In the U.S., a pint is 16 ounces. A standard draft mug is a pint. Three pints is 48 ounces, equal to four 12-ounces bottles.

yankees98a

imported post

Even so, 3 pints = 4 beers which would be .08. Now I may not agree with .06 being a DUI limit in some areas.

However I think anything above .04 (more than 3 beers) AND having a gun openily carried (whether or not loaded) doesn't represent us good and is a recipe for diaster. Doing so on a technacilty (unloaded while others might not know) doesn't look better.

Drinking and driving a car I have similar feelings especially having lived with roommates who had DUI and alcohol issues.

The point is, do you think having a few drinks and OCing mix?

yankees98a

imported post

Clarification:
I think the DUI limit should be higher, however people in general should be more responsible)

I think there should be less/no handgun rules but people should be more responsible.

Going to a brewery to celebrate a promotion IF someone is driving there and they or another person is carrying can lead to a bad situation when alcohol specials are involved.

KBCraig

imported post

yankees98a wrote:
Even so, 3 pints = 4 beers which would be .08.
You can't say how 4 beers affects someone's BAC without knowing their weight and the amount of time involved.

Ninety-eight pounder + 4 beers in 30 minutes = drunk.
Two hundred fifty pounder + 4 beers in 3 hours = not even remotely tipsy.

FogRider

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
You can't say how 4 beers affects someone's BAC without knowing their weight and the amount of time involved.

Ninety-eight pounder + 4 beers in 30 minutes = drunk.
Two hundred fifty pounder + 4 beers in 3 hours = not even remotely tipsy.

Then there is whole idea that your BAC is a good indication of how impaired you are. (small numbers anyway). My buddy is about the same height/weight as me, but drank a LOT more than me. So 4 beers effects him quite a bit less than me.

Phssthpok

imported post

For calrification purposes:

There were three of us, Myself, my friend, and his wife. We were there more than three hours. We all had a full meal. My friend and I had tree pints each, his wife, who had to work later, ordered ONE pint before the meal, and drank water after that. The wife was driving.;)

yankees98a

imported post

Sorry for jumping to conclusion about one of you two driving, didn't mention a third person oming with you.

I still disagree with three pints (48 ounces =4 regular beers) and carrying (even unloaded). I am SURPRISED no one else objects or has concerns.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

His life is not worth defending if he is drinking?

Not everyone acts like an ass when they drink.
Not everyone can't stop when they drink.
Not everyone gets into altercations becasue they had a couple drinks.

I don't know the OP so I have to hope/assume he doesn't have drinking "problems".

We all have to make out own decisions. If your the type of person that can't behave when you drink you obviously should not carry a gun when you drink. Better yet, you shouldn't drink.

I rarely drink when I "go out". When I do I do so in moderation. Regardless, I believe that my life is just as worthy of defending as when I am sober. I carry, always.

Drinking is not an automatic disqualifier for carrying a gun, IMO.

yankees98a

imported post

It's not just judgement. Reflexes might be slowed or an accident could happen. Accidents happen to people when they are dead sober. More so with some drinks

In this particular case the self defense point was moot. He had no magazine. The OP was carrying on a technicality (unloaded). I'm not sure this was wise in combination with the drinking, as it was more for show then any self defense reason.

I am very PRO OC. I just have doubts in this situation.

Heartless_Conservative

imported post

I'm not sure how many accidents you can have with an unloaded gun...
Seems to me that his OC'ing was far more of a political statement than it was for defensive purposes (especially considering that most jurisdictions define 'loaded' as 'anything that could be loaded in a vaguely defined time period,' so you can't even carry ammo in case of emergencies).

Bravo_Sierra

imported post

All I have to say about this.

Carrying an unloaded pistol is like carrying a $___insert gun value here__ hammer.

I left that commie state 4 years ago. I can OC with a full mag, one in the pipe, and as many extra mags as I want, here in Vegas.

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

On the loaded v. unloaded issue: Is it not true that if you have a firearms license, no local codes apply to you. That is, you are bound by state law only? This is really a rhetorical question.

Do you have an Oregon firearms license?

Malum Prohibitum

imported post

Malum Prohibitum wrote:
On the loaded v. unloaded issue: Is it not true that if you have a firearms license, no local codes apply to you. That is, you are bound by state law only? This is really a rhetorical question.

Do you have an Oregon firearms license?

Why, yes, Mr. Malum Prohibitum, you are correct.

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.[/b]

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:

(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.

(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.

(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.

(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8

Phssthpok

imported post

OK folks...time for an exercise in legal logic (if that even exists).

Can someone dig up the precises Portland Ordinance prohibiting the carrying of a LOADED firearm?